Spyder Garage

Default Pro's & Con's for the Linq top case?

For those that have the Linq top case, how do you like it, can it hold much, like a women's leather jacket. Pro's and con's. Don't want anything that's huge looking on the bike that takes away from it looks. I also looked at the Nelson-Riggs bags, but I don't like the looks of the clips that hold the bag on and also it can easily be unclipped and stolen.

Spyder Garage

I have two of them, the SR21 Tunnel Bag (21L or 5.5 Gal of storage) and the smaller Sport case (17L or 4.5 gal of storage). The down side to both of them is that neither will lock, and nether is large enough to carry a helmet, they are just too short. That said I still like them and use one or the other on every ride. They will hold everything I need for a longer ride, coffee thermos, lunch cooler, tire plug kit & portable compressor, portable powerpack/jumpstarter and a few other smaller items.

I also like that they quickly and easily mount and dismount without any tools, they both have handles, so you can carry it with you. They're definitely better than not having anything at all. I also use the Linq accessory plate to mount my side case bracket to. Since they will not lock or hold a full sized helmet, you might want to consider a hard lockable top case that will allow you to at least secure your helmet or other items. If security isnt important, then they are fine and they look good on the bike.
    This is what they look like mounted on the Ryker.

And with the side cases.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey RykerRick, can you take a couple pics of how and what make of saddle bag brackets you mounted to the linq base plate? TIA, cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Hey RykerRick, can you take a couple pics of how and what make of saddle bag brackets you mounted to the linq base plate? TIA, cueman
    I made the main support bracket, and I purchased the side cases on sale on Amazon for $169 about 6 weeks ago. I painted the white inserts on the side cases to match the liquid steel trim on the Rally. The rest of the mounting brackets came with the luggage. The luggage came with a plethora of universal mounting hardware (brackets), some of which I was able to use. But, I had to make the main bracket that mounts to the Linq plate. Photos as follows.
    Right after grinding & sanding.

Test fit before priming & painting black.

More test fitting before bolting & painting.

Painted & bolted to Linq plate.

The horizontal bar that you see in the back was some of the brackets that came with the side cases that I added for additional support. I also used two in the front underneath to attach the side brackets to the Max mount for additional secure points.

Spyder Garage

Dang,that's really nice work, Rick. Way above my skill level. I first ordered a Nelson-Riggs soft case from Slingmods, but also didn't like how it attached. I looked at the Linq case, but went with a Givi Monolock case. I got the idea from a couple of other posters on here. I like the fact that you don't need to buy an additional component to attach the case to the Max Mount. The Givi case comes with a attachment bracket that easily mounts to the Max Mount. I like that Givi has cases in MANY different sizes, locks in place yet dismounts without a tool, the lid is lockable, it is carry-able and will hold my helmet. I really like that helmet-holding ability. I got the 37 liter size and got the 47 liter one for my wife (She likes to bring a lot of stuff . And they are interchangeable on each bike. I also ordered the backrests that attach to the front of the cases. All from Amazon.
    IMG_0165.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I have both, the LINQ case and the sports bag. I enjoy both of them and swap them out before riding, (if I even use one), based on the circumstances of the ride. I consider them both great purchases and have gotten my use out of both of them. I can fill up the sports bag with quite a bit of groceries.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
    Dang,that's really nice work, Rick. Way above my skill level. I first ordered a Nelson-Riggs soft case from Slingmods, but also didn't like how it attached. I looked at the Linq case, but went with a Givi Monolock case. I got the idea from a couple of other posters on here. I like the fact that you don't need to buy an additional component to attach the case to the Max Mount. The Givi case comes with a attachment bracket that easily mounts to the Max Mount. I like that Givi has cases in MANY different sizes, locks in place yet dismounts without a tool, the lid is lockable, it is carry-able and will hold my helmet. I really like that helmet-holding ability. I got the 37 liter size and got the 47 liter one for my wife (She likes to bring a lot of stuff . And they are interchangeable on each bike. I also ordered the backrests that attach to the front of the cases. All from Amazon.
    IMG_0165.jpg
    Givi makes nice quality cases and quick release tank bags with locking rings, I have a couple of them on my other bike. Being able to lock up a full size helmet is also nice, or lock up anything for that matter.