Spyder Garage

Default How to sell a Spyder?

If you want to sell a Spyder, or any motorcycle, to an individual, do you let them ride it? How do you know they aren't gone in 60 seconds? How trustworthy would you be?
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

Only let them ride if they are experienced with a Spyder, have an MC license and insurance.
    Cash upfront from the buyer for you to hold during the test ride until the potential buyer commits to the purchase.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iridenow View Post
    If you want to sell a Spyder, or any motorcycle, to an individual, do you let them ride it? How do you know they aren't gone in 60 seconds? How trustworthy would you be?
    The long answer, "NO"!

Spyder Garage

Personally, I would never buy a bike without a test ride. I tried out a 2020 F3 and RT to decide which to buy. I've walked out of a few dealers when looking to buy new because of BS policies like no test ride. My last 4 new machines were bought from dealers that allowed testing. I've sold and bought privately a few times without any issues. The buyer always came in a car or bike and left keys & machine with me for their test ride.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Personally, I would never buy a bike without a test ride. I tried out a 2020 F3 and RT to decide which to buy. I've walked out of a few dealers when looking to buy new because of BS policies like no test ride. My last 4 new machines were bought from dealers that allowed testing. I've sold and bought privately a few times without any issues. The buyer always came in a car or bike and left keys & machine with me for their test ride.
    I totally agree. I wouldn’t buy a car or truck without a test drive, so why should the Spyder be any different? No test ride equals NO SALE....PERIOD!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I’ve let guys do test rides for a long time because I buy and sell so many bikes. I always check and keep their drivers license for a motorcycle endorsement and I keep the keys to the car. If they come up without a car, they don’t ride.

Spyder Garage

You are going to get answers from both sides on this one. Spyders are a little better in solving the test ride issue, because you can either drive them or you can do a ride along with them.

Willingness to leave their vehicle, keys, cash deposit, or drivers license is a good indicator. Someone coming without a vehicle, not a good thing.

If you get a bad feeling about it, don't let it happen.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would ask for their drivers license and a credit card as a deposit while they ride. I would also ask about their motorcycle riding experience, and some proof of insurance, and maybe even have a written document signed by the potential buyer in hand stating that they pay for any damage caused during the test ride.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know, it's done all the time. hundreds if not thousands of test rides go without a hitch. However, when you give the keys to your ride to someone else, known to you or not, your liability begins with the first movement of the bike and ends when it's returned. Whatever happens during that time is with your approval. Ask your insurance provider if you're covered when you lend your motorcycle to another person who is not on your policy. Risking your home and your child's college find is not worth that risk.

Spyder Garage

Like others have said come with a car and leave it there for the road test and take a picture of their license. Make sure it has motorcycle endorsement. If you feel uncomfortable about the person or circumstances just don't do it.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

If they need to see that the Spyder preforms and rides like it should, just have them hop on the back and take them for a ride. If they want to see if they "like" a Spyder, send them on down the road. Suggest they learn Spyder riding on a dealer demo or rental. I would not put a beginner on my personal bike to see if they can handle it. Most new Spyder riders coming from 2 wheels have a learning curve to become comfortable. IMO, nothing good can come from sending a beginner out alone on your bike to experiment..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

MOST IMPORTANT point I forgot to mention: Don't show the bike at your home. Meet in a public parking lot.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Back when Spyders first came out they were having a show and tell at a dealer. The news person wanted to take one for a test drive. He crashed it within 50 feet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys! Lots of good responses here.
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

Selling a Spyder/Ryker is unique in that there is a decent chance the prospective buyer has never ridden one so having purchase cash in hand would be my requirement...

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

I have a friend that wanted to sell his bike a couple of years ago (I'm not sure how he had it listed). Someone came over riding a bike and wanted to try his out, of course he had to leave his with the key of course to take it on a test ride. The person never came back and the bike he left had been stolen. His bike was found about 80 mile away where again the rider/thief saw another bike on the side of the road for sale and the saga continued but now with this bike. My friend did get his bike back but I think he was very lucky that there was no damage or anything done to it.

Long story short..... be very careful.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Lots of good advice. Personally, I would also take a cell phone picture of the buyer and the license plate of the vehicle he/she arrived in.

As for a test ride, I say "no" to Spyder newbies. The machine is so different from anything else, the buyer could easily wind up in a ditch, and my insurance wouldn't cover that. I say bring an experienced Spyder rider along. Makes things more complicated, but I don't want my Spyder trashed.

Spyder Garage

Whatever you decide, in my opinion, it is only fair to let the prospective buyer to know the rules before they drive out to see it.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan