Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RoboBracket

Spyder Garage

Default RoboBracket

For those who don't make it to the mod threads very often, I'm providing a link to my post for the Madstad RoboBrackets. It's a windshield system similar in concept to the CHAD windshield. Debbie and I were looking at them as an option to get adjustability out of nearly any aftermarket or even the stock Spyder windshields.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...4&postcount=16
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

I'm normally a "function over form" guy, but my first impression was that it was a bit too much like an Erector Set for me. Probably works great.
    I have the GIVI shield which I like quite well, but I've been thinking of adding some half-inch spacers under the shield , with longer screws, to let a bit more air under the shield. Still a bit too much buffeting as is. Maybe that will solve it.
    John Wells
    Hollidaysburg, PA

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

After owning a V-strom and adding a Madstat bracket here my take:Will order the Madstat before I take delivery of the Spydee.It's that good.

The reason:It adjusts in all angles.

Spyder Garage

Pretty cool-- can't wait to see it in person....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

widowmaker2011

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    For those who don't make it to the mod threads very often, I'm providing a link to my post for the Madstad RoboBrackets. It's a windshield system similar in concept to the CHAD windshield. Debbie and I were looking at them as an option to get adjustability out of nearly any aftermarket or even the stock Spyder windshields.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...4&postcount=16

Having had Mark at Madstad install my Buell windshield and adjustable brackets personally in his shop in Florida before my ride to New York , I can attest to the engineering and workmanship he puts into his products. The end result in my ability to control airflow was incredible. I ordered mine today for the Spyder.

widowmaker2011

Quote Originally Posted by John in PA View Post
    I'm normally a "function over form" guy, but my first impression was that it was a bit too much like an Erector Set for me. Probably works great.
    I have the GIVI shield which I like quite well, but I've been thinking of adding some half-inch spacers under the shield , with longer screws, to let a bit more air under the shield. Still a bit too much buffeting as is. Maybe that will solve it.
    John , The silver color against the black console is the main culprit there... Maybe Mark will start powdercoating them , in the meantime , a nice coat of flat black paint would eliminate that concern.

Spyder Garage

mm, I like the spacer idea. I'm still getting some buffeting with my Ultra Touring windshield at freeway speeds. I wonder if it would weaken the windshield or fairing at the mount points too much with just spacers under it (less surface to surface area)?

The RoboBracket does look like a cool concept too.
    Happy 2008 SM5 Owner - BRP Sport Rack/Backrest, 23" BRP Ultra Touring Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Default I gotta visit the Mod Forum more often . . . .

. . . . I have been waiting for these!

I just ordered mine. It is seldom that I get excited about a new product or ordering a new mod - this is the exception. (well, maybe the 2nd - I was real excited when I ordered my Spyder)

I need an adjustable flexible windshield system.
    My eyes seem to be particularly sensitive to wind.
    I wear glasses, bifocals.
    My helmet is an auditory nightmare in wind, but nice otherwise.
    I ride year around, temps ranging from 40 to 110.
    The miles I ride are 80% highway and 20% city.

The CHAD and F1 get great customer satisfaction marks, but the size and style just don't do it for me. While the common appearance complaint is they look like a giant toenail, to me, they make the Spyder look like the Hive Queen in Aliens. Probably attractive to some, not me. I am also not into paying $300+ and then having to re-mod (cut and shape) my mods. That is just me.

I expect the RoboBrackets/Windshield to meet and exceed my needs. If I want, I can re-use some of the other windshields I have for special situations or purposes. Matt has a fantastic reputation for high quality, functional, and high performance products. The install instructions are well done and look like a snap. Plus he guarantees your satisfaction. Add to all this, Brian & Deb's test results, I don't have any doubt, just anticipation.

I just had to share my excitement on this.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Pretty cool-- can't wait to see it in person....

I might be able to hook you up with another "installation cookout"! I like this idea and I've got a couple different shields to try with it.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

I think making the brackets black would help the looks-- and maybe going with a 1/2 tint on the bottom of the shield.

It kind of looks like there are knobs that are on the front of the windshield to hold it to the bracket????

Spyder Garage

Default Yes . . . .

I think making the brackets black would help the looks-- and maybe going with a 1/2 tint on the bottom of the shield.
    . . . . I agree, if they were black, they would almost be invisible. Maybe in the future they will come in black. I have no problem painting them black or some other color - or using a flat black electrical tape on them. I was thinking that I might put reflective tape on the edge against the windshield for added visibility and 'flash'.

I think the tint on the BRP Sport Touring windshield is nice, but I am also expecting it to be a distraction if I put it on the RoboBrackets - having the tint in different locations depending upon the settings may not look so good. Just a matter of my taste or lack of it. I don't see any functional reason for having tint on a windshield that small.

Tom

Spyder Garage

I have my order going in as well. I am very excited about Mark and the Madstad products. He sent me another email yesterday and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have another SpyderLovers sponsor on board soon. He makes a quality product and I do believe he is looking into some additional options. I am sure he will post information or pass it along as it comes in. He has been very busy with this and his other products. Here are the photos and video Brian has of the set up on his spyder.

I also took a few pics of the Madstad windshield fully lowered and fully raised to help give an idea of the limits of it's adjustability.

Fully lowered.

Fully raised.

I also made a little video showing me moving the windshield through a good portion of it's adjustable range so someone could get an idea of how much the brackets allow you to move a windshield. Note that I left my handlebars at full right turn and the windshield clears the clutch lever at all but the most radical angles.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9vTzFiOvxo"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Mine arrived today (it took only 1 week to Canada) but I can't get to install it before Sunday night. I'll be using my 23" BRP screen, so I'll report back on how it goes.

Rod.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderKev View Post
    mm, I like the spacer idea. I'm still getting some buffeting with my Ultra Touring windshield at freeway speeds. I wonder if it would weaken the windshield or fairing at the mount points too much with just spacers under it (less surface to surface area)?

The RoboBracket does look like a cool concept too.
    I would be concerned about that too, depending on how big the windshield is and how thick it is. I'm not saying I wouldn't try it but just to be aware that the windshield can break. Also, the cast metal that the windshield mounts to has threaded holes that can be easily damaged. Be sure you get long enough screws so they can get full thread mating when you add your spacer.

It kind of looks like there are knobs that are on the front of the windshield to hold it to the bracket????

Yep, he uses little wing bolts to hold the windshield to the bracket. It makes for easy on, easy off of the windshield. I guess the benefit would be for when you adjust the shield and need to tighten all 8 bolts, it's easier to get at them with the windshield off.
    Last edited by bjt; 08-29-2009 at 07:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

Yep, he uses little wing bolts to hold the windshield to the bracket. It makes for easy on, easy off of the windshield. I guess the benefit would be for when you adjust the shield and need to tighten all 8 bolts, it's easier to get at them with the windshield off.
    I guess the other benefit of the wing bolts is if you wanted to quickly swap a second windshield depending how/when you're riding. I'd be curious if I could get the RoboBracket to give me decent performance out of the stock shield during short slower speed trips and use my larger shield for longer freeway trips or adverse weather. Of course I'd still have to adjust it I suppose for each shield. This bracket is tempting the tweaker side of me..
    Happy 2008 SM5 Owner - BRP Sport Rack/Backrest, 23" BRP Ultra Touring Windshield.

Spyder Garage

I got my RoboBrackets installed tonight with my 23" BRP screen. Everything bolted together very nicely and after a quick blast up the highway for a road test, it seems great. Mine's black and it looks better than unpainted IMHO. I'll post a photo tomorrow (if I figure out how...).

For the 1st time ryding the Spyder, I heard the motor and the exhaust sound. Can't wait for a longer ryde!

Mark was very good with the questions I had and I highly recommend this product and his service.

NFI,
    Rod.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RodO View Post
    I got my RoboBrackets installed tonight with my 23" BRP screen. Everything bolted together very nicely and after a quick blast up the highway for a road test, it seems great. Mine's black and it looks better than unpainted IMHO. I'll post a photo tomorrow (if I figure out how...).

For the 1st time ryding the Spyder, I heard the motor and the exhaust sound. Can't wait for a longer ryde!

Mark was very good with the questions I had and I highly recommend this product and his service.

NFI,
    Rod.
    So you drilled and mounted the BRP 23" onto the Robo?

What did you do with the 'stock' holes down at the bottom of the shield?

Spyder Garage

So you drilled and mounted the BRP 23" onto the Robo?

What did you do with the 'stock' holes down at the bottom of the shield?
    Yes, I drilled 4 new holes. I'll just have to find something to plug the old holes.

Rod.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up The wind behind your sail

I think that you're on the right track, John. My GTR Kawasaki has a vent below the windshield that directs air up behind the screen, and there is no buffeting. My Chad screen does the same thing by being mounted a few centimetres away from the rest of the fairing., and there is no buffeting behind it either.

My '76 Moto Guzzi Convert has a police style barn door fairing and the buffeting behind it is terrible. As I'm (very slowly) rebuilding it, I'll add some spoilers to direct air up behind it. I expect that the buffeting will disappear.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Spyder Garage

Default You promised!!!!!

NFI,
    Rod.
    Rod, I am still waiting. Please, get off the Spyder and post your pictures.

Maybe this will help on the how-to;

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...18&postcount=3

Thanks!

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    Rod, I am still waiting. Please, get off the Spyder and post your pictures.

Maybe this will help on the how-to;

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...18&postcount=3

Thanks!

Tom
    Sorry Tom. Thanks for the info on how to upload photos. It didn't work, so now I've got to figure out how to makes the photos/files smaller. Failing that, I can email them if you want.

Rod.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

Spyder Garage

Sorry Tom. Thanks for the info on how to upload photos. It didn't work, so now I've got to figure out how to makes the photos/files smaller. Failing that, I can email them if you want.

Rod.
    I can size your photo's and post them if you would like. I want to see how your windshield turned out too!

Spyder Garage

Rod.

Try PhotoBucket. It hosts your pictures and you can easily link to them from SpyderLovers or any of the forums.

Spyder Garage

Try PhotoBucket. It hosts your pictures and you can easily link to them from SpyderLovers or any of the forums.
    or you can just email them to me Rod, I will load them to my photobucket and post for you. dltang at comcast.net
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    or you can just email them to me Rod, I will load them to my photobucket and post for you. dltang at comcast.net
    Thanks Deb -- I've emailed 2 photos to you.

Much appreciated,

Rod.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.