Spyder Garage

Default Need correct sized Fuel filter clamp?

I found this site with cheap clamps for fuel filter, I need correct size
    Thanks
    https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...766+4294900826

Spyder Garage

i would only use step less clamps...buy a kit they are available thru ebay Glarks 42Pcs 7-21mm 304 Stainless Steel Single Ear Stepless Hose Clamps

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wait until you're ready to need one and then go to an auto parts store like NAPA and get the correct size adjustable screw type hose clamp. The ones you link to require a special clamping tool that will cost you what you can probably buy three or four dozen regular hose clamps.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

When I did it on my old 2014 and on my 2008 GS I just went to the auto parts store and bought a variety pack of fuel injector rated clamps for less than $5. Sorry to say that I don't remember the exact size that worked within the package, but you can do the same for roughly the same money. It just has to be FI rated and not a standard hose clamp.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They do not recommend using the worm gear type hose clamps on hi pressure fuel lines...They make special clamp on types for hi pressure fuel line applications that are easy to use and relatively inexpensive...NO special tools needed...

Like these...https://hpsperformanceproducts.com/p...on-hose-clamps

I think the fuel line size is 5/16"???

I use Ideal brand fuel injection hose clamps...I keep a box of 1/4" size 13 / 5/16" size 15 & 3/8" size 16 in stock...Less than $5.00 per box...

Saves running to the auto parts store every time I need a clamp...

larryd

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Like these...https://hpsperformanceproducts.com/p...on-hose-clamps

I think the fuel line size is 5/16"???

I use Ideal brand fuel injection hose clamps...I keep a box of 1/4" size 13 / 5/16" size 15 & 3/8" size 16 in stock...Less than $5.00 per box...
    Those look like the real deal for DIY. I didn't even think about them. My go to clamps have always been the worm gear ones, but I have seen and reused the FI style clamps, even for low pressures.

The pressure in the Spyder fuel line is 62 psi max. Since fuel filters have a bulge at the end of the inlet and outlet a regular worm gear clamp would work. The best info I could find is worm clamps are good, in some cases anyway, for 100 to 350 psi, so they would be adequate for the Spyder fuel filter. But on a diesel engine or direct injection gas engine, they would not be adequate as those pressures can be in the hundreds of psi. I didn't find any really good definitive info on pressures different types of hose clamps are good for. That's probably because the tightening pressure can vary significantly, as well as the hose material, and in most cases the real pressure limit is the capacity of the hose.

But in any case, taking into account the tightening mechanism of the FI rated clamps, and their cost, it only makes good sense to use the FI clamps when you can.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the ideas
    I will post when done.

Spyder Garage

https://www.pepboys.com/dorman-help-...roduct/9113741

A dozen in a variety of sizes for &8.99.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6