Threaded View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Shad top box install on 2021 RT base

I have a 2021 RT base and decided I wanted a top box. OEM top boxes are $2049, new (which wasn't going to happen). I couldn't find a used one, either. Someone (and I'll have to look @ the original WTB thread to see who recommened this cuz he's smart) suggested I try a LinQ base and Shad SH58X top box. I got both today.

First, good grief! The box is huge. I'm guessing it's bigger than the OEM top case but I haven't measured the OEM unit.

I'll document my "build" as I go along but I've got some questions before I start.

The LinQ base is plastic. For some reason, I figured it would be metal, maybe aluminum. Super lightweight. There appear to be all sorts of ways to mount various LinQ compatible units (not sure what to call them). There are the (2) sort of rectangular openings on the sides and another hidden one towards the front (pics to follow). Perhaps there are more LinQ compatible units that can be mounted on this other than just Spyder specific ones? I've watched quite a few LinQ unit related YouTube videos, most/all show the attachment as you put a side tab on the unit into base A (see the pic) then once you set it in place, you flip a lever on the other side of the unit to lock it down. This LinQ base has spring loaded levers/locks below each A tab. The other question is the extra, hidden mounting point. What's it for and how would I use it?

Ya know, it'll be easier to look @ the pics. 'Splain all of this to me, please.

On to the build. I'll mount the LinQ base on the bike and see if I can mount the top case directly to the base of if I'll need to give it an angle. I was hoping it was metal so I could thread new holes in the base but being plastic, I think I'll just drill holes and use nuts and bolts. If I need to angle the back up some, I'm not sure what I'll use for spacers as I want it to look as OEM as possible. I think the size will be just about perfect but we'll see once it's sitting on the bike. I'm not sure how well this will take to paint. The "carbon fiber" top is NOT carbon fiber but unfortunately it IS textured. I think Shad makes a flat black (no texture) top to put in place of this but IIRC, it's about $100. Those shiny parts in the back are reflectors. They're only held on by a single screw. Either they'll HAVE to get painted flat black or they'll need to stay off as they're hideous.

NOTE: You can NOT fit a full face/modular helmet in the case without it being in the fully extended position although it appears it would be a quick adjustment once it's on the bike to go from the lowest position to the middle or highest. You CAN fit (2) full face/modular helmets in the case with room to spare in the fully extended position.
    Attached Images Attached Images