Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Shad top box install on 2021 RT base

I have a 2021 RT base and decided I wanted a top box. OEM top boxes are $2049, new (which wasn't going to happen). I couldn't find a used one, either. Someone (and I'll have to look @ the original WTB thread to see who recommened this cuz he's smart) suggested I try a LinQ base and Shad SH58X top box. I got both today.

First, good grief! The box is huge. I'm guessing it's bigger than the OEM top case but I haven't measured the OEM unit.

I'll document my "build" as I go along but I've got some questions before I start.

The LinQ base is plastic. For some reason, I figured it would be metal, maybe aluminum. Super lightweight. There appear to be all sorts of ways to mount various LinQ compatible units (not sure what to call them). There are the (2) sort of rectangular openings on the sides and another hidden one towards the front (pics to follow). Perhaps there are more LinQ compatible units that can be mounted on this other than just Spyder specific ones? I've watched quite a few LinQ unit related YouTube videos, most/all show the attachment as you put a side tab on the unit into base A (see the pic) then once you set it in place, you flip a lever on the other side of the unit to lock it down. This LinQ base has spring loaded levers/locks below each A tab. The other question is the extra, hidden mounting point. What's it for and how would I use it?

Ya know, it'll be easier to look @ the pics. 'Splain all of this to me, please.

On to the build. I'll mount the LinQ base on the bike and see if I can mount the top case directly to the base of if I'll need to give it an angle. I was hoping it was metal so I could thread new holes in the base but being plastic, I think I'll just drill holes and use nuts and bolts. If I need to angle the back up some, I'm not sure what I'll use for spacers as I want it to look as OEM as possible. I think the size will be just about perfect but we'll see once it's sitting on the bike. I'm not sure how well this will take to paint. The "carbon fiber" top is NOT carbon fiber but unfortunately it IS textured. I think Shad makes a flat black (no texture) top to put in place of this but IIRC, it's about $100. Those shiny parts in the back are reflectors. They're only held on by a single screw. Either they'll HAVE to get painted flat black or they'll need to stay off as they're hideous.

NOTE: You can NOT fit a full face/modular helmet in the case without it being in the fully extended position although it appears it would be a quick adjustment once it's on the bike to go from the lowest position to the middle or highest. You CAN fit (2) full face/modular helmets in the case with room to spare in the fully extended position.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

The Shad box baseplate needs to be secured to the LinQ base. The LinQ base needs to be secured to the RT using the twist lock.
    Question: How do you twist the knob if the Shad base is bolted over the access?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The Shad box baseplate needs to be secured to the LinQ base. The LinQ base needs to be secured to the RT using the twist lock.
    Question: How do you twist the knob if the Shad base is bolted over the access?
    Hole saw. I think a 3" one will do the trick.

Spyder Garage

Hi, Monk front notches of LinQ bracket for LinkQ back rest .
    the Question is can you move shad mount bracket back far enough
    to still have room for a BRP back rest and be able to open shad cover ?
    suggest thick black rubber spacers.
    RT101 , I will be looking to do same in spring,
    with either shad or givi top case.
    have 2020 rt base , LinQ back rest , linQ base ordered.
    please keep us all posted .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RT101 View Post
    Hi, Monk front notches of LinQ bracket for LinkQ back rest .
    the Question is can you move shad mount bracket back far enough
    to still have room for a BRP back rest and be able to open shad cover ?
    suggest thick black rubber spacers.
    AH! That makes sense now! Thanks.

Since I never have a passenger, I'm not going to worry about the BuRP backrest. Honestly, I don't think there's enough room. I set the top case on the LinQ base and it covers it up pretty well. I think, if you moved the top case back enough to allow for the BuRP backrest, the top case would hang too far off the back of the bike. For an extra 100 bucks, you can buy Shad specific backrest padding. I'll mount mine against the back of the passenger seat and will eventually buy the padding since I think the bare trunk looks unfinished.

I'm hoping to test fit the LinQ base and top case later today. I'll see where I need to mount it.

Thick black rubber spacers makes sense. I'll see if I need to raise the back of the case to level it. If so, I might not be able to find any rubber spacers that are both tall enough and firm enough to work.

Spyder Garage

Looks like a great job you are doing with the base RT.
    Since you ride solo, just curious why you did not just get the LinQ Semi - Rigid bag?

6D2357B0-D145-42C8-97D3-6BAF5BE3AB5F.jpg

ah hah, in researching my questions I believe I was able to answer one of my questions.
    The Shad top box model SH58x has 3 positions : L,XL & XXL from 46L to 56L , so yes the rigid will be much larger than stock.

RT top case holds 5.8 gal/46,7L of extra storage865A3197-E616-413D-BCB9-65477FA65E95.jpg

the Linq Semi-Rigid Bag is 10.6 Gal/ 40L 0EC22E4B-1ACB-49A6-B640-10A6B1952A98.jpg

In reading your build I believe you refer to the "Rt LinQ rack" as the "LinQ base", Yes?

also does the RT Limited already come with the LinQ Rack or is it an add on? answered my own question it does not come with, option to add in build $310

A46FE68A-DEE6-4E45-ABFE-AF2AB9137189.jpeg

I know the RT matching color panel was extra, but in reading the catalog says
    the panel is stock equipment on the base model.
    Last edited by TicketBait; 01-09-2021 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added answer In red

Spyder Garage

You can find ANYTHING you want at https://www.mcmaster.com !!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Looks like a great job you are doing with the base RT.
    Since you ride solo, just curious why you did not just get the LinQ Semi - Rigid bag?

6D2357B0-D145-42C8-97D3-6BAF5BE3AB5F.jpg

ah hah, in researching my questions I believe I was able to answer one of my questions.
    The Shad top box model SH58x has 3 positions : L,XL & XXL from 46L to 56L , so yes the rigid will be much larger than stock.

RT top case holds 5.8 gal/46,7L of extra storage865A3197-E616-413D-BCB9-65477FA65E95.jpg

the Linq Semi-Rigid Bag is 10.6 Gal/ 40L 0EC22E4B-1ACB-49A6-B640-10A6B1952A98.jpg

In reading your build I believe you refer to the "Rt LinQ rack" as the "LinQ base", Yes?

also does the RT Limited already come with the LinQ Rack or is it an add on? answered my own question it does not come with, option to add in build $310

A46FE68A-DEE6-4E45-ABFE-AF2AB9137189.jpeg

I know the RT matching color panel was extra, but in reading the catalog says
    the panel is stock equipment on the base model.
    Couple of reasons why I didn't get the larger Semi-Rigid Bag. First, it's not yet available. Second, I want a place to stick my helmet. The RT LinQ Rack (or whatever it's actually called) can still be used for any of the LinQ bags. I'd have to unbolt the Shad top case mounting bracket (4 bolts) but it wouldn't take more than 15 minutes. A year from now, I'll be most of the LinQ compatible bags will be all over eBay for cheap. I might look for one then.

The LinQ rack isn't standard on anything. It's $310 from BuRP (and just about everywhere else). I found a brand new one in AZ for $250.

The color matched rear panel is standard on the base model as it goes in place of the Limiteds top case/trunk. It's not particularly pretty under it. Much more function than form. I'd guess I can swap between the Shad top case/RT LinQ base/rack combo back to the color matched rear panel in about 10 minutes and only that long since that locking twist thing is TOUGH to turn. I can't even turn it by hand. I wrapped some tape around a set of pliers and turned it to lock/unlock that way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    You can find ANYTHING you want at https://www.mcmaster.com !!!
    I found something that sort of works but I'm impatient so I didn't want to order something (and wait for it). I'll search around a bit more for the right rubber bushing/washers/whatever. I'll definitely try McMasters. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Home Depot & Lowes may have rubber or nylon bushings in their Misc drawers.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Tracking your build, it would appear that you've got yourself a top box for about half the cost of the BRP trunk.
    You're missing the tail lights, power supply and speakers, but since you ride mostly alone, I don't think you'll miss them.
    On the plus side, you've got the color matched cover for riding single.
    Nicely done !
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As noted, I'm impatient so I installed this today. This would have been easier had I had a real garage with a workbench, etc but I made do.

NOTE: The RT LinQ rack/base. The side tabs I asked about earlier seem to be a failsafe of sorts. The standard RT color matched cover is held in place (partially) by 2 "bolts" that the middle/rear of the cover kind of snaps into. The side tabs on the LinQ unit clip over these. This does NOT keep the rack in place but as I said, is a failsafe in case the center lock fails. Good idea.

NOTE: The center lock is a bitchkitty to turn. Maybe mine will get better over time but I had to use a pair of pliers to turn it. No way I could do it by hand. At first, I thought it was broken. That's how tough it is to turn.

NOTE: The Shad mounting bracket comes in (2) parts. There's a top cover that's held on with (4) very small screws. It's cosmetic only but makes it look better if you're riding around the top case off. (Not sure why you would, though.)

I didn't take as many pics during the process as I wanted because I thought my camcorder was recording everything. I figured I'd edit it and put it up on YT later. Turns out, I was wrong. Oops.

Basically, I removed the color matched RT (base) rear cover, installed the LinQ rack/cover/base/plate then set the Shad top case (mounted on it's own (included) mounting base) on the LinQ unit to determine how far back I wanted it. I mounted mine almost as far forward as possible. Unlike RT101, I have no intention of adding the uber expensive LinQ backrest. In theory, you could probably mount this much farther back to have room for that but I'm not sure how that would look. There's an extra cost (~$100) backrest kit I'll probably add later only for looks as this looks unfinished w/o that.

Shad backrest.jpg

Once I knew how far back I wanted the top case, I removed the Shad mounting bracket and tried to center it on the LinQ rack. I'm probably off by a hair and my OCD will hate me for it but it was the best I could do. There are about a zillion possible mounting holes in the Shad mount so I picked a 1/2 dozen and made some marks on the LinQ rack. I removed the Shad mount and drilled small pilot holes in the LinQ rack then removed that so I could look @ the underside to make sure I was drilling into open space. (I've got a couple extra holes where I ended up drilling into places I couldn't access for the nut. They'll never be seen.) Once I knew I had the right holes, I opened them up with a bigger drill bit.

I didn't have any rubber washers so I made a trip to the local Lowe's (best darn home improvement store in the world!) and found some clear rubber (ish) tubing that I could cut down. I was missing a 3" hole saw, too. I'll get to that in a minute. Not sure if you can make out the clear bushing w/the bolt inside.
    squished bushing.jpg

I had to be able to access the center lock or none of this would have worked. I drilled a hole in the Shad mount with the 3" holesaw I bought from LOWE'S. I still need to get my Dremel out and clean it up but I was worn out and wanted it done.
    hole in bracket.jpg

I forgot to put the Shad mount top cover back on and when I did, I realized I need to cut part of that out over the 3" hole I drilled in the mount. I'll take care of that when I get my Dremel out to clean up the main hole.

I think, if the Shad top case was 4" longer (front to back), it would be the perfect size. The width looks just right. There are a couple of silver reflectors that HAVE to get painted. I think they look horrible. My "garage" isn't heated so this will have to wait til spring. I'm hoping to be able to paint the entire case body color but I don't know if I can find the right color in rattle cans. Not sure how cost effective it would be to take it to a shop for paint. The top of the box is fake carbon fiber. It doesn't look bad if you're into that sort of thing but I don't like it. They sell (4) versions of this with the only difference being the color of that top section (carbon fiber, white, black and aluminum...the aluminum version is called the SH59X). I think I can buy just the top part so I might buy a black one in the spring since this has a texture. You can see what I'm referring to here.
    20210108_152053.jpg

Overall, I think this is a GREAT addition for someone who has a base model RT and wants/needs a top case. It's not as integrated looking as the OEM top case but I have about $700 in it as opposed to $2k+ if I wanted the OEM version.

I ended up taking a quick video on my phone of the final result. (Pardon the noise. I live on a busy street.) If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Spyder Garage

Did you end up mounting the Shad quick release mount plate to the LinQ adapter with screws? How did you position it and get it all squared up, level, etc.?

Very interested in seeing some detailed photos when you get around to it.

Nice job.

Spyder Garage

Well done!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Tracking your build, it would appear that you've got yourself a top box for about half the cost of the BRP trunk.
    You're missing the tail lights, power supply and speakers, but since you ride mostly alone, I don't think you'll miss them.
    On the plus side, you've got the color matched cover for riding single.
    Nicely done !
    About 1/3 the cost. I've got about $750 in this. The OEM top box is $2049.

As far as tail lights and trunk power, I'm going to work on those. There's a plug on every 2020+ RT (base or Limited, trunk or not). My Spyderpops running/brake light LEDs plug into that. The front of the BuRP LinQ plate blocks that but it's easy to remove that plug from the mount. All I'd need to do is to remove that from it's mount and lay it just under the back of the passenger seat. If I can figure out the wiring and source the plug, it would be easy to make up a wiring harness that I could then plug into the box to add lights and a couple USB ports. There are also other options for tail lights that have nothing to do with the box itself. (I was planning on Slingmods rear LED running, brake, turn signal mod anyway.)

As you said, I ride solo and use my BT helmet speakers 99.9% of the time so (2) extra speakers just means I wouldn't use (6) instead of not using (4).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    Did you end up mounting the Shad quick release mount plate to the LinQ adapter with screws? How did you position it and get it all squared up, level, etc.?

Very interested in seeing some detailed photos when you get around to it.

Nice job.
    I used the Nyloc nuts and bolts that were included w/the Shad box. They were meant to bolt the Shad quick release mount to any of the vehicle specific Shad mounting systems. The long bolts (they include (4) each long and short bolts) worked perfectly.

I centered it on the LinQ base then moved it forward/backward (with the box attached) until I decided where I wanted it. I wanted it all the way forward. I think RT101 may mount his farther back in order to utilize the BuRP backrest. I thought it might need a little tilt on the back but it didn't. I'll take another look at it once it's out of my garage. If it needs a bit of a tilt, I'll just add spacers and longer bolts to the rear of the Shad mount.

What do you want pics of? Anything specific?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    What do you want pics of? Anything specific?
    Pics of the Shad mount plate on the LinQ adapter and maybe some pics from a distance with the top case on the bike (back and sides)?

I don't have an immediate need for a top case now but based on your play by play, it sounds like a fairly easy install and inexpensive option vs the OEM - I might consider doing something like this when spring arrives.

Spyder Garage

looks good and blends in to bike!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Hi Monk , looks good , great job !!!

Spyder Garage

Good job Monk +++

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I was thinking of getting the LinQ rack to mount a RotopaX 2gal gas container for my Yellowstone trip. Wasn't sure how the mount would attach and not be in the way of the LinQ latch. Monk's 3in hole thru the topcase mount will likely be the answer. Just need to come up with a removable secondary 'plate' between the RotopaX mount and the rack to access the latch.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    Pics of the Shad mount plate on the LinQ adapter and maybe some pics from a distance with the top case on the bike (back and sides)?

I don't have an immediate need for a top case now but based on your play by play, it sounds like a fairly easy install and inexpensive option vs the OEM - I might consider doing something like this when spring arrives.
    Here's the Shad mount on the LinQ mount. The cosmetic cover is on (this is what it looks like if you take the box off) but as you can see, I still need to cut out part of the circle so I can unlock the LinQ plate. I forgot to do that and I was tired.
    expanded rear.jpg

Here's the set up from the rear and side at it's smallest capacity.

And the same fully extended. (There's a middle position but I didn't take any pics of that.)

I think it looks kinda sporty in the smallest configuration and has about the same footprint as the OEM top box fully extended.

I rode about 2 hours this afternoon with the box in both the smallest and fully extended positions just to see if it would affect the wind. I couldn't tell it was back there unless I was looking in the mirrors. I'd say it's a success.

NOTE: It appears the SH59X (with the aluminum top cover) replaces the chrome reflectors with black parts. I think I'll buy those instead of trying to paint the chrome ones.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I was thinking of getting the LinQ rack to mount a RotopaX 2gal gas container for my Yellowstone trip. Wasn't sure how the mount would attach and not be in the way of the LinQ latch. Monk's 3in hole thru the topcase mount will likely be the answer. Just need to come up with a removable secondary 'plate' between the RotopaX mount and the rack to access the latch.
    There's a sticker on the LinQ rack that states not to carry gas. Not sure why but it's there. Just an FYI.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    There's a sticker on the LinQ rack that states not to carry gas. Not sure why but it's there. Just an FYI.
    Well that sucks!

Spyder Garage

Monk,

Here is where you can get color matched paint in a spray can.

https://scratcheshappen.com/touch-up...el=1228#colors.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue