Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Question about car leases

I know how to estimate a normal loan based on a car's price. But how do you do the same thing with a lease?
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you lease the amount is based on what the difference between purchase price and what the dealer says the car is worth when your lease is up. Also have to add in taxes and fees.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm currently leasing a 2019 Honda CR-V. What Rob said is close but not quite. There are a LOT of other factors involved including the lease term (length), the amount of depreciation the company (Honda in my case) feels there will be (i.e. what it's worth in 36 months), damage allowance, etc. For most basic cars (not something high end) and based on the "standard" 36 month/12k mile per year lease and assuming you have good to great credit, you can figure you'll pay between 70-85% of the loan type monthly payment. For example, when I leased my Honda about 18 months ago, I would have paid about $575/mo for 72 months. My 36 month, 12k mile/year lease runs me about $500/month.

Most OEM websites (Chevy, Honda, Subaru, etc) will give you a suggested lease payment. Many times, you can get an even better deal once you're at a dealer and have picked out what you want.

Spyder Garage

A little off your question...but hopefully a good FYI.

You might want to look at your price per mile. Leasing is beneficial mostly to the lessor, not the lessee. Check out the mileage penalties etc. You get to drive good stuff, but it costs to do it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

You might want to look at your price per mile. Leasing is beneficial mostly to the lessor, not the lessee. Check out the mileage penalties etc. You get to drive good stuff, but it costs to do it.
    Good info, there. Price per mile is probably a bit less than a traditional loan as you're monthly payment is generally less. Mileage penalties are a killer. I would have to pay .20/mile for any overages. (I only have 18 months left in my lease and I've got less than 3k miles on the car now. (I work from home so I don't envision getting anywhere near my mileage.)

If you want to drive a new car all the time, a lease is great. If you think you'll get a raise in the near future and you plan on keeping the car for a long time, a lease is great as your monthly payments are less now. When your lease is up, you can get a conventional loan where your payments may be higher.

Spyder Garage

FWIW, when I took off my uniform for the last time many years ago I worked for a gentleman who was a former big wig at Price Waterhouse Coopers. Amongst his clients was Roger Penske and companies of that ilk, and in a discussion about leasing an automobile for personal use as opposed to purchasing one he said he had crunched the numbers every way possible and could not make them come out where leasing was more favorable than purchasing.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    FWIW, when I took off my uniform for the last time many years ago I worked for a gentleman who was a former big wig at Price Waterhouse Coopers. Amongst his clients was Roger Penske and companies of that ilk, and in a discussion about leasing an automobile for personal use as opposed to purchasing one he said he had crunched the numbers every way possible and could not make them come out where leasing was more favorable than purchasing.
    I would agree with this. I've never been able to see where leasing is of any great value to the customer. You might be able to get some great leasing deal where the numbers work in your favor but I wouldn't say that's the norm.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I would agree with this. I've never been able to see where leasing is of any great value to the customer. You might be able to get some great leasing deal where the numbers work in your favor but I wouldn't say that's the norm.
    Many years ago I worked at a new car dealership as a F&I Manager. I wrote leases, provided traditional financing and "sold" other things such as undercoating and insurance. Unless the world has changed dramatically, there is no financial benefit to lease as opposed to purchasing UNLESS you have the ability to write off the vehicle for business use. That doesn't mean that individuals didn't lease vehicles for personal use. The dealership LOVED them because of the profitability..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

You get to drive good stuff, but it costs to do it.
    Agreed. I've opted to lease since retiring in 2010. Three reasons: never have to pay for repairs or service, payments lower, New car every 3 yrs.
    For me cost/benefits tilted to a lease.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Leasing is just a more marketing friendly term than renting. Tomay-to, tomah-to.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I worked for GM. We ran the numbers, and leasing is cheaper. Buying means payment and depreciation. Leasing means payment. No repairs, ever, and since we ride, never exceeded miles. Since I’m not passionate about cars, a car is a car. It is transportation. Had cool hobby cars, enjoyed them, but would rather ride!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'm currently leasing a 2019 Honda CR-V. What Rob said is close but not quite. There are a LOT of other factors involved including the lease term (length), the amount of depreciation the company (Honda in my case) feels there will be (i.e. what it's worth in 36 months), damage allowance, etc. For most basic cars (not something high end) and based on the "standard" 36 month/12k mile per year lease and assuming you have good to great credit, you can figure you'll pay between 70-85% of the loan type monthly payment. For example, when I leased my Honda about 18 months ago, I would have paid about $575/mo for 72 months. My 36 month, 12k mile/year lease runs me about $500/month.

Most OEM websites (Chevy, Honda, Subaru, etc) will give you a suggested lease payment. Many times, you can get an even better deal once you're at a dealer and have picked out what you want.
    Either you didn't put any money down, or we have better lease deals in my area. My lease on a Jeep Wrangler runs out this year and I have been checking out the Honda CR-V. The ones I have been looking at have stickers of over 36,000, and with $2,999 down I can get for $284/month; I'm not sure if with 10,000 or 12,000 miles/year. I may actually go for the Passport.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Agreed. I've opted to lease since retiring in 2010. Three reasons: never have to pay for repairs or service, payments lower, New car every 3 yrs.
    For me cost/benefits tilted to a lease.

I'm the same. But, whatever I lease, I look at the 0-60 times b/c I want to get into the flow of traffic. If I didn't care about getting into the flow of traffic, I'd get a Honda HRV. For me personally, I've got to get something that will at least get into the mid 6's, and also be less than $320/month. I do realize that most cars can be less than $320 per month based on the money put down up front.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I know how to estimate a normal loan based on a car's price. But how do you do the same thing with a lease?
    The bank you get the lease thru will have a say in those monthly payments. When I leased my first Jeep, the lease was thru a bank b/c Chrysler Financial was higher. While I was haggling with the finance manager, my gf was on the phone to her nephew who is a finance mgr at a BMW dealership, and he agreed with the numbers given to me. I usually shop FCA products because I get employee pricing, a discount for loyalty, and the typical military discount.

Spyder Garage

My wife is a CPA. No way no how would we ever lease a vehicle. Although I could understand why it might be attractive from a standpoint of someone who always wants a new vehicle and no maintenance/repairs. But you will pay dearly for that convenience.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Why? The depreciation is insane. Usually more than the payment. Residuals are low, and once paid for, maintenance costs rise. We just bought a truck, only because nobody leases an F450, fitted like we want.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Agreed. Had I leased my last car, it would have been returned long ago. Having bought a Spyder, and using it much less, I simply own it and that made it a lot more reasonable to buy a new Spyder. Unless you turn over your vehicles a lot, and that isn't financially impactful on you, leases are not a good financial option. I like the security of owning, and knowing that I won't need to replace a vehicle until I really want to.

I didn't listen to these when I pulled the links, but I've heard him on the subject in the past:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ0TlFYpAXY
    https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/debt/10367
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm also one of those people who feel that a car is a way to get from Point A to Point B while remaining dry
    and cool/warm. Consequently I never buy new, and thus avoid the depreciation, and paying for something
    but having nothing to show for it but more payments is an anathema to me. Yeah, I'm a cheap bastid. LOL

Our car is a 2013 bought 3 years ago, the truck we use to pull our toyhauler is 2001 bought in 2005, we
    also have a 2015 Honda scooter which was bought new, a 2013 Spyder GTS-SM, and a 1999 Honda
    Interceptor bought in 2000. 20 plus years of no payments, lease or otherwise means money that would go
    to someone else stays with us.

Full disclosure, we did buy our 40' toyhauler new, because there were no models that appealed to us used. Now
    talk about depreciation!! But we bought it 11 years ago, and still have it.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

This is a very good starting point. https://leasehackr.com Lots of information available, as well as some brokers who are very active. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I'm 74 and I told my kids if they inherit anything, I mis-calculated.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I'm 74 and I told my kids if they inherit anything, I mis-calculated.
    Amen, bruddah.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Sounds pretty complicated. I would not be able to write it off, so it may be not for me. But I wonder if it's economical if the car is expensive.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMO unless you can use the lease amount as a deduction, or better yet as a credit, it is never going to be economical.
    Look at it this way, is it economical to rent a car from Hertz?

OTOH, if you are determined to own $30,000-$40,000, or more, automobiles, and you want to drive a new one every
    2-3 years, then it may indeed cost you less to lease/rent that vehicle. But it's never going to be "economical" in the
    strictest sense of the word.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

The best lease is a no money down, zero drive off. VW does it often. Others also do it when the inventory on a particular model is too high. BMW once in a while also. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

You forgot to factor in a down payment - usually between $1500.00 - $3000.00, depending on vehicle......