Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Any Compass' for Spyders that actually work?

I would really like to add a compass to my ride. All the dash mounted bubble types I have tried are useless. Is there anything available that actually works?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I use a compass app on my cell phone - when I care about which direction I'm headed. The one I use is called Digital Compass from Axiomatic, Inc. Found it at Google Play.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I set my Garmin to display the compass in small window.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    I set my Garmin to display the compass in small window.
    Bulls-eye!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also use marlinsclocks...Have been for years...Great products and service...larryd

https://www.marlinsclocks.com/

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    I would really like to add a compass to my ride. All the dash mounted bubble types I have tried are useless. Is there anything available that actually works?
    YES
    Get one of my TackForm phone mounts for your spyder and use your iPhone with it set on compass
    that works great if you only want to see the compass.
    Or yo could use it for your GPS and that also has a compass visible

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use a second older Android phone without cell connection and an app called GPSTest. It has several display modes. I have it show bearing, speed, and elevation. The app is free IIRC.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

None of the simple, floating ball compasses work on a Spyder's dash because of the electronic interference from the instruments. I wish it were otherwise. I have a simple basic Garmin that's too dim to read in bright light, even at the brightest setting (and besides, I want to view the map!).

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    None of the simple, floating ball compasses work on a Spyder's dash because of the electronic interference from the instruments. I wish it were otherwise. I have a simple basic Garmin that's too dim to read in bright light, even at the brightest setting (and besides, I want to view the map!).
    That's one of the advantages of using an old Android phone with GPS Test app. The display can be set to white numbers against a black background. Easy to see in daylight.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I got a couple of compasses that I have had for many years. They don't install on the bike, truck, or whatever. They are fairly accurate, small, and when not in close contact with a lot of metal, don't need adjustment. One of them I carry in my shirt / jacket pocket. No batteries or electricity required. It is really a hiking compass, but works just as well on the the bike. Got another small liquid ball type that will pin to the sleeve of a jacket where it can be seen while riding. If you are doing land navigation off road or setting up a satellite antenna, you need real accuracy, but I never have really needed that kind of accuracy on the roads. You just need the general direction. You have to follow the road anyway, and with the exception of some roads out west, very few of them are straight for very long.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

The Garmin compass works for me also.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red