Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Rant - Update

Hi All,
    Sorry in advance for the rant. I've been lurking here for a while as I've been in the process of researching and buying a new Spyder. I bought a new 2020 RT Limited on December 4, 2020 paid in full with check and credit card. It was not in stock and the dealer said they needed to get it from the warehouse. On December 12 they delivered the new bike to my house and when I looked at it I was shocked. Many of the panels had scratches on them and the trunk had fitment issues and it just looked like it came out of a barn especially for only having 3.3 miles on it. I refused delivery and gave them a list of things that needed fixed before I would ever accept it. I figure it sat on some other dealers floor for the last 6 months and everybody who came through the door climbed on it and scratched it up. They ordered and have now received the panels and are working on it. I am creating a list to send to the dealer to ensure the bike meets my MDR (minimum delivery requirements) before bringing it back to me. Does anyone have anything that I should add to my list like common things dealers don't prep correctly on the bikes? Hopefully I can get something from the dealer for all the hassle this has been. I'm not throwing this dealership under the bus, (yet). I'll wait until after delivery before I make a final determination on how I've been treated by them.
    Thanks for any information,
    Andy

1: Leather seats need to be new.
    2: All body panels (black/white) need to be new.
    3: Console black plastic needs to be new.
    4: Mirrors need to be tight and not vibrate
    5: Bike needs to be cleaned and detailed for delivery as a NEW bike.
    6: The fit of all body panels need to be perfect.
    7: Update Software/firmware

Safety recall on brakes: Recall # 20V186
    BRP is conducting a safety recall on the 2020 Can-Am Spyder RT. In emergency braking situations, the support which holds the brake mechanism could break and cause a total loss of braking capacity.

Warranty Bulletin: Rear Cargo module gap fit issue caused by improperly manufactured parts under the seat causing bolt hole alignment issues and other parts not fitting together correctly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agrimm01 View Post

1: The seats aren't leather, they're vinyl.
    4: Not gonna happen. Sorry. The current generation RT mirrors vibrate from the factory. BuRP supposedly has a "fix" for this, maybe. Lamonster Garage (one of our site vendors and the owner of SL) has a simple and inexpensive ($25) fix on his site. Many of us have added his fix which basically bolts the mirrors directly to the bike. Simple 15 minute installation and the mirrors are rock solid after.
    6: I wouldn't hold out for "perfect". "Pretty good" is more like it.

Let me add one. If you remove the passenger seat, there should be (2) BOLTS at the front of the side panels (that go under the rear hand grips). On some early 2020 models, BuRP molded the rear section incorrectly and these front (2) bolts were replaced with zip ties. BuRP has a recall on this but I'd check to see if you have zip ties or bolts/screws. If your new bike still has zip ties, I'd either schedule service to have the rear section replaced (under warranty) or refuse delivery. The dealer CAN'T just replace the zip ties with the proper screws. The entire rear section needs to be replaced. Bear in mind, this may not be an issue w/your bike. It was only an issue on a few bikes and even then, it was only on early 2020s, not ALL 2020s.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi All,
    Sorry in advance for the rant. I've been lurking here for a while as I've been in the process of researching and buying a new Spyder. I bought a new 2020 RT Limited on December 4, 2020 paid in full with check and credit card. It was not in stock and the dealer said they needed to get it from the warehouse. On December 12 they delivered the new bike to my house and when I looked at it I was shocked. Many of the panels had scratches on them and the trunk had fitment issues and it just looked like it came out of a barn especially for only having 3.3 miles on it. I refused delivery and gave them a list of things that needed fixed before I would ever accept it. I figure it sat on some other dealers floor for the last 6 months and everybody who came through the door climbed on it and scratched it up. They ordered and have now received the panels and are working on it. I am creating a list to send to the dealer to ensure the bike meets my MDR (minimum delivery requirements) before bringing it back to me. Does anyone have anything that I should add to my list like common things dealers don't prep correctly on the bikes? Hopefully I can get something from the dealer for all the hassle this has been. I'm not throwing this dealership under the bus, (yet). I'll wait until after delivery before I make a final determination on how I've been treated by them.
    Andy

BRP is conducting a safety recall on the 2020 Can-Am Spyder RT. In emergency braking situations, the support which holds the brake mechanism could break and cause a total loss of braking capacity.

Warranty Bulletin: Rear Cargo module gap fit issue caused by improperly manufactured parts under the seat causing bolt hole alignment issues and other parts not fitting together correctly.
    When I received delivery of my F3L earlier last year, I refused delivery due to dead battery,trunk warning light on. Took em a week to get their **** together and delivered it. A few days later Idiscovered that the wire looms at both front fenders were rubbingon the tires.....they failed to put the loom into the pigtail holders on assembly.
    Needless to say.....I do my own work now.
    If it’s been sitting and youhave a battery tester.....check the battery! You wanna have faith in people but are screwed when you do.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

When you say you "bought" a new 2020 RTL on Dec. 4, I think you use the wrong terminology. No such bike was in stock at the dealer; one had to be found. What you really did, in essence, was to "order" a new 2020 RTL, for which you paid upfront and unseen. Here, again, I struggle to comprehend what was really going on. By Dec., the dealer would normally be selling new 2021 models. So, were you intending to order "new", as in latest available? Or were you purchasing a true (year old) NOS (unused) 2020 model? Was it discounted in any way? Was it disclosed to you that you could be receiving a "show room display" item which may have been sitting exposed to potential buyer traffic? Or were you supposed to be getting something "right out of the box"? Sounds to me like you may actually have received an "early release" 2020 model. Those did have fitment issues - side panels held together with zip ties. You could have a legitimate beef with your dealer. The VIN number should allow you to determine from BRP when it was produced, left the factory and where it went, and when. That may help you to understand where it was before it was delivered to you, and answer questions about its condition and suitability. For the price you paid, did you get what you ordered, contracted for and expected? Obviously not. Hope you get it resolved. These are great and fun machines to own and ride. I hope you will eventually find and enjoy the happiness that I and many others have. But you do have a legal right and justifiable expectation to get your full and proper monies' worth. Good luck. Keep us posted.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I think the warranty bulletin I mention at the bottom of my list is the same issue you refer to. I will try to look under the passenger seat when they deliver and verify if it has the issue. Do you think BRP can tell by the VIN if it has the issue?

Spyder Garage

Simple fix sir 3 words, void the transaction.
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I think the warranty bulletin I mention at the bottom of my list is the same issue you refer to. I will try to look under the passenger seat when they deliver and verify if it has the issue. Do you think BRP can tell by the VIN if it has the issue?
    yes, BRP should have that info instantaneously.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    When you say you "bought" a new 2020 RTL on Dec. 4, I think you use the wrong terminology. No such bike was in stock at the dealer; one had to be found. What you really did, in essence, was to "order" a new 2020 RTL, for which you paid upfront and unseen. Here, again, I struggle to comprehend what was really going on. By Dec., the dealer would normally be selling new 2021 models. So, were you intending to order "new", as in latest available? Or were you purchasing a true (year old) 2020 model? Was it discounted in any way? Was it disclosed to you that you would be receiving a "show room display" item which may have been sitting exposed to potential buyer traffic? Or were you supposed to be getting something "right out of the box"? Sounds to me like you may actually have received an "early release" 2020 model. Those did have fitment issues - side panels held together with zip ties. You could have a legitimate beef with your dealer. The VIN number should allow you to determine from BRP when it was produced, left the factory and where it went, and when. That may help you to understand where it was before it was delivered to you, and answer questions about its condition and suitability. For the price you paid, did you get what you ordered, contracted for and expected? Obviously not. Hope you get it resolved. These are great and fun machines to own and ride. I hope you will eventually find and enjoy the happiness that I and many others have. But you do have a legal right and justifiable expectation to get your full and proper monies' worth. Good luck. Keep us posted.
    I did buy it knowing it was not at the local dealer but there are many of these dealers. I also knew it was a 2020. But, it was supposed to be Brand New. I did check with Florida DMV and they confirmed it had never been titled to anyone other than the dealer. The discount I received reflected that it was a late in the year model but the salesperson said they come from their warehouse. I paid about $24k before taxes. I bought a NEW bike and won't accept anything except a NEW bike. I hope that's what they deliver next time.

Spyder Garage

If your dealer can perform a front end laser alignment, request they do that, considering all the other grievances. I would also request they comp the first service.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    Simple fix sir 3 words, void the transaction.
    Unfortunately I don't think I can. At least yet. I received the title and registration when I purchased the bike on December 4. I refused delivery on December 12 as that was the first time I saw the bike. I think, (I'm no lawyer) I have to give them the opportunity to make it right. I paid in full with check and credit card. I could put the credit card charge in dispute, $12K and that would get their attention I'm sure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    If your dealer can perform a front end laser alignment, request they do that, considering all the other grievances. I would also request they comp the first service.
    Thanks, I will add those. I did ask them about an extended warranty.

Spyder Garage

The VIN sticker on the left side of the swing are has the month and year of manufacture on it if you're curious about how long that Spyder had been kicked around before you got it. I agree with other posters that you should squeeze that dealership for everything you can get out of it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I did buy it knowing it was not at the local dealer but there are many of these dealers. I also knew it was a 2020. But, it was supposed to be Brand New. I did check with Florida DMV and they confirmed it had never been titled to anyone other than the dealer. The discount I received reflected that it was a late in the year model but the salesperson said they come from their warehouse. I paid about $24k before taxes. I bought a NEW bike and won't accept anything except a NEW bike. I hope that's what they deliver next time.
    There is no issue then as far as year and model. The problem is one of condition upon delivery. You ordered, bought and paid for "new". You have every right to expect that. Seems proper dealer prep and detail are lacking. You are being fair in giving them a chance to comply. If they don't do that to your satisfaction, putting a "dispute" stop on the credit card portion will certainly grab their attention. Tell the dealer all you want is cooperation and delivery of what you paid for. And explain that you hope to avoid bad publicity for them. Credit card companies will usually side with their purchaser clients first, but they do have time limits within which you need to notify them. Always best if you can resolve privately and directly with dealer; be a firm negotiator, but not unreasonable. Hopefully the dealer makes it right. Not sure whether FL has a "lemon" law; if so, that may give you additional purchase protection/negotiating power when talking to dealer.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The VIN sticker on the left side of the swing are has the month and year of manufacture on it if you're curious about how long that Spyder had been kicked around before you got it. I agree with other posters that you should squeeze that dealership for everything you can get out of it.
    I called BRP and asked about applicable recalls for this particular bike. It was built January 30, 2020 and has 2 applicable recalls. 1: Safety recall for brakes 2: Rear access cover abnormal gaps recall. The dealer said they are taking care of those issues.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    There is no issue then as far as year and model. The problem is one of condition upon delivery. You ordered, bought and paid for "new". You have every right to expect that. Seems proper dealer prep and detail are lacking. You are being fair in giving them a chance to comply. If they don't do that to your satisfaction, putting a "dispute" stop on the credit card portion will certainly grab their attention. Tell the dealer all you want is cooperation and delivery of what you paid for. And explain that you hope to avoid bad publicity for them. Credit card companies will usually side with their purchaser clients first, but they do have time limits within which you need to notify them. Always best if you can resolve privately and directly with dealer; be a firm negotiator, but not unreasonable. Hopefully the dealer makes it right. Not sure whether FL has a "lemon" law; if so, that may give you additional purchase protection/negotiating power when talking to dealer.
    Right, I knew what I was getting. I am lucky that the credit card statement date was right before I made the purchase. I think I have until about February 3 to put it in dispute if it isn't acceptable. I don't think "lemon" law applies to motorcycles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think "lemon" law applies to motorcycles.
    Pretty sure lemon laws apply to ALL motor vehicles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Pretty sure lemon laws apply to ALL motor vehicles.
    I checked and you are right as there is a Federal Lemon law which covers about everything. But, each state also has their own lemon law and I live in Florida which only covers cars and light trucks.

Spyder Garage

Hi All,
    Andy

I contacted the corporate office for this dealership and the dealer suddenly got very responsive. It has been 2 months though. The dealer replaced many of the damaged panels but kept finding more issues with the bike (more damaged panels). So, I told them I didn't want it. They offered to give my money back or try to find another 2020 but I then told them I didn't want one that's been built for a year so I told them I wanted a 2021 RTL. So we settled on a price of $26K before tax and a couple of other things (helmet w/bluetooth, first maintenance). Supposed to be in tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Glad it's going to work out for you!
    I would seriously consider finding a different dealer after the 1st service if possible.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Glad you got it settled. What a headache.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a tough process. Hopefully, everything works out satisfactory for you. What color did you get?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Sounds like a tough process. Hopefully, everything works out satisfactory for you. What color did you get?
    Chalk White.