Spyder Garage

Question Transport mode for 2018 Spyder RT?

Hi All,
    I'm getting ready to move cross country and have scheduled a transport. In the contract it states that I must have it in transport mode at time of pickup but I cannot find anything on that. Can someone help me out on how to do that please.

TIA

Bernadette(
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-06-2021 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You need to ask the hauler. It might mean nothing more than no stuff in the trunks, or they may want all the fluids removed. If it's Haul Bikes they will want the windshield removed to reduce the overall height to fit in the truck. Or, heaven forbid, they may want it strapped to a pallet.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

What about the parking brake, they may want that released?
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I few weeks back I was slightly considering a used RT for my wife and found one from a seller in AZ. I called a local motorcycle dealer here in OH for the name a few transport companies they might be able to recommend. That was not much help. So after a quick search I call a few companies to get a price. I am glad I asked the questions I did because I could tell the places I called are not familiar with the Spyders. If I had not asked the key question I did I fear they would have not even picked it up once they got onsite.

1. I gave the hauler the dimensions of the Spyder. No one really had a problem with that which is good.
    2. I asked them about leaving the key in. This I found interesting. Only 1 of the 3 places I called said to leave the key. The others stated that the key must be sent separately. I was very surprised by that. I went over the parking break of the Spyder with them and 1 of the 2 that said to remove it said that would be OK to leave it as they may have to move it depending on what else they are picking up. The other said they could not move the Spyder in that case.
    3. I ask how it needs to be prepped. Nobody said much about that other then asking me about leaks or custom accessories that could get damaged in transport.

Still on the fence about another Spyder......
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Maybe speak with someone at Imotor. They seem to ship alot of spyders around the country with no problem.

Spyder Garage

thanks it is Haul Bikes, so I will need to remove the windshield

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wsbaby View Post
    thanks it is Haul Bikes, so I will need to remove the windshield
    Yes. They use trailers that haul bikes 2 high, the trailer floor and a deck above. That restricts how tall the bike can be which is why the windshield has to come off. That's the main thing that I remember from when they brought my 2013 RT from Wisconsin to Idaho in 2013. They will do a close inspection at both ends so be sure to pay attention to that. You don't want them claiming any damage incurred in route was there when they picked it up. My experience with them was very good. Be aware they ship everything to and from their terminal in WI or PA so it could be 4 weeks, maybe even more, getting from here to there. Plan to leave the key in the ignition. They need it to set and release the parking brake.

Haul Bikes website has info on getting your bike ready and about pickup and delivery.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

IMS knows more than I about the shipping procedure and he may be able to confirm, but if I were you I would check to verify that they DO NOT need to start the Spyder. If they do not need to do so I would get an Ilco X270 key blank like the one in the picture and leave that in the ignition instead of the expensive to replace chipped Spyder ignition key. If you bevel the key as shown in the picture you will then have a "safety" key that allows you to unlock all the lockable storage compartments and the seat just like the chipped key but won't allow you to start the Spyder. They can turn on the ignition and release and set the parking brake with the Ilco key.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S