Spyder Garage

Default GloRyder lights - any experience or thoughts

Slingmods sent an e-mail today saying GloRyders are in stock. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on these. They look easy to install and look to add a nice WOW factor.

https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...eid=d3306f5a13

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Spyder Garage

I bought the new generation self charge kind. put order in, 1.5 yrs later i got them. yes, they had sale on them, explained that it was a pre order, well the pre order was due that Oct, but needed more time, then more time. i could have canceled, but kept my order.
    for the spyder, you don't get alot of "bling for the money". if rims were more of a dish type rim, you would see the light better. as it is, barely light up. thats just my opinion, go with what you "feel" to do.
    and for there development, they have alot to be desired that it took 1.5 yrs. it was more like business incubator with my money
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

A few years ago I purchased a "special" set of Glo-ryders that were only one color (I chose blue) no remote, turned on when the wheels rotated and turned off about 2 mins. after I stopped. They are a really cool farkle and I love them. But I go through about 1.5 sets of batteries in a season (6 months)

About 1.5 years ago Glo-Ryder came out with the New self charging set (same as your add) and I got on the pre-sale list. Early last year I finally got them. I charged the batteries and rushed out and installed them. I ride about 12k (7miles) to work, 12k home 4 days a week and ride more on weekends (plus long trips on holidays), however, the batteries didn't last a week. I took them out and re-charged them, and the next week, same thing. Taking them apart to charge is a pain, not hard, but not a plug and play either.

I did this a couple times and in the end put my old ones back on.

Do Glo-ryders work..... yes
    are they a cool Farkle.......yes
    do you ride more a few kms a day to keep them charged.......????

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

I was one of the original users of Glo Ryder lights. I liked them a lot. They snazzed up the Spyders. We lived in Alaska at that time. They were the one color kind and used batteries to keep them going. I used one set of batteries per season.

The problems started when GloRyder did the improvements. They went to multicolor and self charging. There were manufacturing delays. I did not go for the new stuff. Do not intend to add them to my current F3's.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-06-2021 at 04:05 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good read, I saw the SlingMods add too and it really caught my interest, but the price slowed me down. I don't want to get in another batter recharge failure program so I think I'll pass on this one and use my $ for a better LED install. Thanks for the comments.

Spyder Garage

I had an early set. Gave them away for the cost of postage.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Another option would be to contact customspyderworks.com , they sell the Halo Wheelz.IMG_3828[1].jpg They are multi color, this is just one example.
    2017 RT-S , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I had them on a previous Spyder. At first, they were novel but since I don't typically ride at night, I rarely used them.

Spyder Garage

Overall I like the new GloRyder much more than the original set and recommend them. I had to wait for the new version about 1.5 years as mentioned but they are now readily available. I like the remote control for lighting and the ease of removing the cap if one has to change the batteries.

I agree with bcer960 that the charge does not hold long and contacted GloRyder about this. They said that "The generator is the only size available for that diameter and unfortunately it is not that powerful." Of course, this is not mentioned in their product description. I purchased extra batteries and keep them charged just in case.

However, I differ with bcer960, when it comes to changing the batteries. On my original set to change the battery these were the steps: 1) Get a small allen wrench, 2) rotate the bike so the screw heads are accessible, 3) unscrew 2 set screws on each cap, 4) remove cap, 5) remove/replace batteries, 6) replace cap, aligning hole on cap with screw holes on base (needed to apply pressure to keep the cap in place during reinstall) 7) do not over torque else the screw hole on base will crack at edge. Now I unscrew the caps, remove/replace battery, screw cap back on.