Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Tire Longevity- Brand/ Mileage

Following a previous thread:
    What is your experience with Tire Brand and the mileage obtained?
    My OEM rear tire lasted 6k on my F3L
    Q5’s and a Kumo mounted before hibernation.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Following.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Following a previous thread:
    What is your experience with Tire Brand and the mileage obtained?
    My OEM rear tire lasted 6k on my F3L
    Q5’s and a Kumo mounted before hibernation.
    IMHO, tires that give very long WEAR use a Less compliant / flexible / harder rubber compound. .... remember Auto tires are designed for much heavier vehicles than any Spyder. .... For use on a Spyder, it's very important to adjust the PSI to fit the Weight of the vehicle ( ie. Spyder ). Folks generally Don't consider the tires as part of the overall suspension system. But it really is , especially for lighter weight vehicles, like the Spyder. .... So if you want to use a tire that has around 800+ UTOG rating, even a low PSI won't compensate much for the higher UTOG rating. Also consider what your average yearly mileage is, you might end up with a tire that is only Half worn, but is now 7 years or more old. ... I had a Michelin tire ( on the rear of a 14 RT ) that had excellent wet/dry traction and lasted for 32,000 miles, it was 5 years old when I changed it...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO, tires that give very long WEAR use a Less compliant / flexible / harder rubber compound. .... remember Auto tires are designed for much heavier vehicles than any Spyder. .... For use on a Spyder, it's very important to adjust the PSI to fit the Weight of the vehicle ( ie. Spyder ). Folks generally Don't consider the tires as part of the overall suspension system. But it really is , especially for lighter weight vehicles, like the Spyder. .... So if you want to use a tire that has around 800+ UTOG rating, even a low PSI won't compensate much for the higher UTOG rating. Also consider what your average yearly mileage is, you might end up with a tire that is only Half worn, but is now 7 years or more old. ... I had a Michelin tire ( on the rear of a 14 RT ) that had excellent wet/dry traction and lasted for 32,000 miles, it was 5 years old when I changed it...... Mike
    dang, 5 years on a tire.....financially worth installing anything other than KENDAS.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

2015 RT purchased new in January of 2017 and ridden aggressively more often than not.
    Original rear Kenda shot at 6000. Went with General Altimax on rear and Federals Formoza's on front
    First Altimax was shot in 30,000.
    Now have 38,000 on the bike with a second Altimax. The first set of Federals are holding up very well and I expect 50,000 out of them.
    I am happy with the wet and dry traction of both the General and the Federals.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Naveydad, What is the size tire of that General Altimax 43 , If you care to share, thanks,,, Bill,,,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Naveydad, What is the size tire of that General Altimax 43 , If you care to share, thanks,,, Bill,,,

It is not made in a 2xx/50R15.

215/60R15 and 225/60R15

https://generaltire.com/sites/defaul...r_v2_Print.pdf
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Snoking, I see now that Federal has a 205/55r15 that is the same diameter and only about 3/4 inch narrower in width. Same style as many are running on the front. Mentions about 6 1/2 inch rim. Spyder is 7 inch, but I think I'll try it.. Any thoughts on this one?
    Last edited by Knizar; 01-05-2021 at 11:34 PM. Reason: misspelled

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Thanks Snoking, I see now that Federal has a 205/55r15 that is the same diameter and only about 3/4 inch narrower in width. Same style as many are running on the front. Mentions about 6 1/2 inch rim. Spyder is 7 inch, but I think I'll try it.. Any thoughts on this one?
    Well the Altimax is he better tire ...... and either tire size will fit the Spyder rear wheel / rim ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    2015 RT purchased new in January of 2017 and ridden aggressively more often than not.
    Original rear Kenda shot at 6000. Went with General Altimax on rear and Federals Formoza's on front
    First Altimax was shot in 30,000.
    Now have 38,000 on the bike with a second Altimax. The first set of Federals are holding up very well and I expect 50,000 out of them.
    I am happy with the wet and dry traction of both the General and the Federals.
    Awesome results!
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

There are the:

Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 225/50R15 On edit: I can not find this tire in this size.
    KUMHO ECSTA AST 50R 225/50R15 (this is probably what I will install when the time comes)

And a few 200-300 dollars ones in the OEM 225/50R15 size.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rarely keep a vehicle long enough to worry about longevity on tires but this one will be different (unless I win the lottery) so I'll be following this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by knizar View Post
    naveydad, what is the size tire of that general altimax 43 , if you care to share, thanks,,, bill,,,
    225/60r15
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    225/60r15
    Will the General Altimax RT43 225/60-15 even fit on a 2020 RTL?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would think so, the difference in height from OEM should be less than 1/2".
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Ive got 7600 on my rear Kenda Kanine and you cant see any wear yet but then I got 13000 out of my original rear Kenda.The front Kendas were replaced at 13000 after they started shaking badly but the tread wasnt worn out.The fronts were replaced with the Vredsteins which do feel better in many ways.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

IMG_2273[1].jpg My local dealer has the Kanines in stock and his price is reasonable if I get to where I cant get down and change the tires myself.

On our RTs and the F3T we have been running Kumhos Ecsta AST in the original 225/50R15 sze and getting about 23,000 miles and lately the General Altimax RT43 in the 215/60R15 size which put the speedometer within 1 mph at 60 mph, and gives us 21-23,000 miles with good grip and roll. I have this General ready from the last pair I ordered and at less than $100 apiece it works for us.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I put 25,000 miles on an Altimax mounted on my 2017 F-3L and it looked barely worn. The bike was replaced with a 2020 RTL in the fall. Just for something to do this winter I’m wondering about the tires. The F-3 ran a 215/60-15 which was taller but narrower than the OEM tire. I’m curious about whether there’s clearance on the new bike for the 225/60-15.