Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Federal Formoza AZ01 Tires

I don't have much information except the OP bought from Amazon he said at $50 each. So going to Amazon the only tire that fits that price point is Federal Formoza AZ01 All- Season Radial Tire-165/55R15 75V, good 85% approval rating. Not sure how that stacks up with the Q5s which seem to be very popular.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-05-2021 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Split Forum Support posts, moved rest of thread to Spyder General Discussion

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I don't have much information except the OP bought from Amazon he said at $50 each. So going to Amazon the only tire that fits that price point is Federal Formoza AZ01 All- Season Radial Tire-165/55R15 75V, good 85% approval rating. Not sure how that stacks up with the Q5s which seem to be very popular.
    It is my understanding that in the US that is about the only tire that matches the OEM 165/55R15 size that people recommend. The Q5's are a slightly different size. Chris
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a thread from a couple years ago, and the consensus seems to be they are a very good tire for the Spyder. The price is sure right.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...65-55-15-tires
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chris, I didn't know that about the Q's, good info.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Vacillating between these and the Q5s. I looked on Amazon and 99% of the reviews on these are on Spyders. I saw a couple that were car related and a few that didn't say what they had the tires on. Must be you can only mount these on our Spyders!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, the Q5's have gotten good reviews too, but the Formoza's are half the price. So all things being equal, the lower price makes deciding a bit easier. To me anyway.
    Peggy and Howard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Federals are about 50 bucks/each. The Q5s are about $85/each. If one is better than the other, I'd choose that one. So far, it seems those that like the Q5 swear they're better and those that like the Federals swear those are better. I wouldn't mind a review from someone who has run both (on the same bike) but I suppose that's unlikely. Paying an add'l 70 bucks for much better tires seems worth it but I know pretty much anything is better than the original Kendas.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

NOTHING is better ( for all around performance ) than the Q-5 ........Period, yes they are a bit more expensive but imho they are worth it.......Mike

Spyder Garage

I replaced the Kendas with the above mentioned Federals and boy howdy, what an improvement in every category. Here's a comparison photo - the Federal is on the bike, the Kenda off the bike.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I figure I'm not going to race Peggy's Spyder, , so absolute performance isn't an imperative. And the money saved will pretty much
    pay for a Kumho at the rear. Looks like a win, win to me.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Well, I figure I'm not going to race Peggy's Spyder, , so absolute performance isn't an imperative. And the money saved will pretty much
    pay for a Kumho at the rear. Looks like a win, win to me.
    When solo, I ride quite aggressively, pushing my bike very hard in the turns. I have yet to surpass the limits of the Federals. As I rode away from having them installed, I immediately noticed much less rolling resistance, far better straight line tracking (Kendas would not even try to track) and, of course, better grip in curves.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    When solo, I ride quite aggressively, pushing my bike very hard in the turns. I have yet to surpass the limits of the Federals. As I rode away from having them installed, I immediately noticed much less rolling resistance, far better straight line tracking (Kendas would not even try to track) and, of course, better grip in curves.
    Same here. I have 30,000 miles on my Federals and would buy them again.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, it looks like a set of Federals are in Peggy's Spyder's future.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

I have Federals on my 2013 STS fronts. General Altimax on the rear.
    I am not an aggressive rider so I can't comment on the ultimate performance of the tires.
    What I can say is the tires are great for my touring style riding.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Q5’s look better.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm running Vredestein's on my PPA wheels, but thinking about buying a set of Formoza's to put on my OEM wheels. Have a complete spare set . Walmart also has them, and will mount for cheap.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Federal-F...Tire/706973164

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting, I have a Walmart not far. I see the Canam is not in their fitment format, previous experience I can see them not wanting to mount. Of course it would be worth a short a short ride to find out.

Spyder Garage

Interesting, I have a Walmart not far. I see the Canam is not in their fitment format, previous experience I can see them not wanting to mount. Of course it would be worth a short a short ride to find out.
    If you got a discount tire nearby, check out their sale.
    http://https://www.discounttirezone.com/Federal-Formoza-AZ01-16555R15-75V_p_12203.html?msclkid=0967bcfb91dd1e7d9ad3e30fc 6b1fa0c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaig n=All%20Products%20Bing&utm_term=4582077278866174& utm_content=*%20-%20federal%20tires
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Now to decide on a inflation pressure when I install my new Federals. I saw someone state 22 PSI. Chris
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good idea and on sale for $45, rather trust those guys than Walmart. Don't need tires now, but at $45, maybe I need to give it some thought for a bit later install.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I had the federals on my spyder for awhile until a pothole took care of that tire. I went with the Achilles ATR-K Economist tire and find them much quieter and less resistance while turning. Traction seems good but with the pandemic I was not out as much last year riding. But I like the Achilles better than the federals.

I was running 19 psi on the federals. I think running them lower may have contributed to the tire blowout. The pothole was not big at all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Now to decide on a inflation pressure when I install my new Federals. I saw someone state 22 PSI. Chris
    While some might knowingly (or unknowingly ) over-inflate their tires to enhance one particular aspect of their tire's performance, by doing so it will be compromising the over-all capability of the tire. Unless your Spyder is loading up each tire with about 500kgs (which I seriously doubt! ) then you are unlikely to need any more than 16-18 psi in the Federals for most 'normal' ryding; altho if you are planning on doing some well loaded, long distance, very high speed, &/or high ambient temp ryding (in ambient temps above about 35°C) or any combination there-off, then you might want to increase that juuust a little & go as high as maybe 20 psi with your 'cold start' pressures.... but anything much over that is very likely to be over-inflating any 'real' auto tires if they are fitted to a Spyder!

Your tire pressure NEEDS to increase a little as you ryde, to reflect how your tires warm up to their operating temps - less than about a 4psi increase after an hour's ryde means that you started out with pressures too high; more than about a 4psi increase means you started out with pressures too low; and if you get NO increase at all after about an hour's ryde then your tires are waayy over-inflated & compromising ride, handling, traction, suspension compliance, road hazard/puncture resistance, tread wear, safety, et al; while if you get any more increase than about 6psi after about an hour's ryde your tires are dangerously under-inflated & compromising ride, handling, traction, tread wear, safety, et al .

For the vast majority of Spyders/Ryders/loadings with auto tires fitted, you should only ever see 22psi as a 'Hot pressure' after about an hour' ryde!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-05-2021 at 07:57 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

[
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    While some might knowingly (or unknowingly ) over-inflate their tires to enhance one particular aspect of their tire's performance, by doing so it will be compromising the over-all capability of the tire. Unless your Spyder is loading up each tire with about 500kgs (which I seriously doubt! ) then you are unlikely to need any more than 16-18 psi in the Federals for most 'normal' ryding; altho if you are planning on doing some well loaded, long distance, very high speed, &/or high ambient temp ryding (in ambient temps above about 35°C) or any combination there-off, then you might want to increase that juuust a little & go as high as maybe 20 psi with your 'cold start' pressures.... but anything much over that is very likely to be over-inflating any 'real' auto tires if they are fitted to a Spyder!

Your tire pressure NEEDS to increase a little as you ryde, to reflect how your tires warm up to their operating temps - less than about a 4psi increase after an hour's ryde means that you started out with pressures too high; more than about a 4psi increase means you started out with pressures too low; and if you get NO increase at all after about an hour's ryde then your tires are waayy over-inflated & compromising ride, handling, traction, suspension compliance, road hazard/puncture resistance, tread wear, safety, et al; while if you get any more increase than about 6psi after about an hour's ryde your tires are dangerously under-inflated & compromising ride, handling, traction, tread wear, safety, et al .

For the vast majority of Spyders/Ryders/loadings with auto tires fitted, you should only ever see 22psi as a 'Hot pressure' after about an hour' ryde!

Thanks. Chris
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-05-2021 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    While I had the federals on my spyder for awhile until a pothole took care of that tire. I went with the Achilles ATR-K Economist tire and find them much quieter and less resistance while turning. Traction seems good but with the pandemic I was not out as much last year riding. But I like the Achilles better than the federals.

I was running 19 psi on the federals. I think running them lower may have contributed to the tire blowout. The pothole was not big at all.
    In reality lower PSI's are Less likely to cause or contribute to flats or Blowout's ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    In reality lower PSI's are Less likely to cause or contribute to flats or Blowout's ...... Mike
    Michelin told we regarding running their XPS Ribs on my 5th wheel trailer that OVER inflation can lead to impact damage and that it decreases braking ability of the tire, as the contact patch with the road surface is decreased in size.