Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The Best day ...... EVER !

I have been skiing since my 20's , over 50 years...... Today was without a doubt the Best ski day, this or any other season I have enjoyed the sport ..... Temp's in the high 20's ... 2in. fresh snow over a nice corduroy groom ..... mostly sunny, thru some fog .... and NO WIND ..... Like dead calm air .... this just doesn't happen in the mountains in Vermont .... It was a pleasant surprise after my Ski Pass went on Holiday Vacation .... after my injury ( ACL ) on Dec 9th. .... I was able to get back on the boards after only two weeks .... had 2 days skiing then the Holiday's lay-off ... I plan to go 5 times this week .... and then every day I can going forward. MY legs are far from what they were at the end of last season ( covid shortened at middle of March ), but I'm improving a bit everyday I'm able to Ski ...... Besides helping my over-all health, it makes winter tolerable to be without my daily Spyder fix ..... Enjoy what you can and stay safe ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Great news to hear.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Years ago in Loveland Basin, Co I skied in an almost white out up in a bowl and was about the only person riding this T-Bar lift. The snow was 12-18" of the lightest powder snow that one could ever image. The lift operator was asking what size my boots were? He was offering to let we run the lift for a while so he could made a few runs!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Mike, congratulations on your recovery! Keep enjoying the slopes one day at a time. This year I have more paid vacation time then I know what to do with, and if I get caught out of state I'll get locked in a rubber room for two weeks. I do trips to Utah yearly. Do day trips to windham mountain when conditions are good. My only option is mountain creek, and it just is not worth the drive.

Spyder Garage

Had a great ski day also. Glad to hear that you've recovered enough to enjoy the sport that we enjoy ( when we can't ryde ). It was cold and windless at Mt Rose/Ski Tahoe. High base makes for great snow condidtions. Rose's parking lot is higher than the famed KT-22 at Squaw Valley. Crappy lift lines on the major chairs though. Everyone wanted to ride the new snow we got last night.
    Ski on

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Time2ride View Post
    Mike, congratulations on your recovery! Keep enjoying the slopes one day at a time. This year I have more paid vacation time then I know what to do with, and if I get caught out of state I'll get locked in a rubber room for two weeks. I do trips to Utah yearly. Do day trips to windham mountain when conditions are good. My only option is mountain creek, and it just is not worth the drive.
    " Windham " mtn. .... back in the late 60's that was a private operation, one of the first area's I skied. .... A guy I worked with had a ski chalet there, so I was allowed to ski....... many fond memories ................Thanks ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Had a great ski day also. Glad to hear that you've recovered enough to enjoy the sport that we enjoy ( when we can't ryde ). It was cold and windless at Mt Rose/Ski Tahoe. High base makes for great snow condidtions. Rose's parking lot is higher than the famed KT-22 at Squaw Valley. Crappy lift lines on the major chairs though. Everyone wanted to ride the new snow we got last night.
    Ski on

Lew L
    Recovery is going slow , but I'm making progress every day I ski ..... after the summer / fall layoff my ski legs arn't there yet ... I do " so-called ' Ski excercises, I guess they help some, but to me there is no substitute for actual Skiing ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Everyone should have a passion. Mike has at least two passions and is enjoying them to the fullest. Wonderful!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I am happy to know that you can do what you want now, but still be careful.

Spyder Garage

I used to ski a lot back in my 20's and 30's. Then having a family, skiing became less of a priority and unaffordable for a while. We would sporadically go and taught the kids when they were young. I've been into snowmobiling (and now Spydering) for 15 years so skiing kind of disappeared from my life. I just threw out all my old ski stuff last year as I figured 30 year old equipment wouldn't be good or safe to use. I've been out skiing only a few times in the last couple of years - just getting rentals from the ski area. Now my daughter is in her early 20's, we got her new ski equipment for Xmas is into it with her friends. But now she wants me to ski with her and I'm looking at getting all new stuff soon.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    I used to ski a lot back in my 20's and 30's. Then having a family, skiing became less of a priority and unaffordable for a while. We would sporadically go and taught the kids when they were young. I've been into snowmobiling (and now Spydering) for 15 years so skiing kind of disappeared from my life. I just threw out all my old ski stuff last year as I figured 30 year old equipment wouldn't be good or safe to use. I've been out skiing only a few times in the last couple of years - just getting rentals from the ski area. Now my daughter is in her early 20's, we got her new ski equipment for Xmas is into it with her friends. But now she wants me to ski with her and I'm looking at getting all new stuff soon.
    Our stories are almost exactly the same ( except for the daughter thing, that happened 25 years ago for ) .... Look at " Level nine " for gear .... very very reasonable especially around April .... I bought great ski's, Boots ( look at Alpina brand, their REAR entry boots are a godsend to folks who are less flexible ie. OLD ) Shaped Ski's literally Turn by themselves .... very little input needed to initiate a turn, but are Stable at speed

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy to hear your recovery is going well. Never got into skiing, did plenty of sledding as a kid. The first time I was on ski's was a physical ed. class in college. Never felt so uncoordinated in my life however, I did learn how to snow plow very well