Spyder Garage

Default Puddle of oil on the ground.

Today upon checking the oil level on my Ryker 600, after pulling and replacing the dipstick, I had to clean up a big spill under the bike. Probably at least 3 ounces of oil. The oil level reads very much overfilled, but it was last changed 3 mos. ago by my dealer. I checked the level twice and got two puddles of oil on the ground. I'm baffled since I have no idea what the oil system internals are like. No leaks ever before and not now as long as I leave the dipstick alone. Any ideas?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rydernow View Post
    Today upon checking the oil level on my Ryker 600, after pulling and replacing the dipstick, I had to clean up a big spill under the bike. Probably at least 3 ounces of oil. The oil level reads very much overfilled, but it was last changed 3 mos. ago by my dealer. I checked the level twice and got two puddles of oil on the ground. I'm baffled since I have no idea what the oil system internals are like. No leaks ever before and not now as long as I leave the dipstick alone. Any ideas?
    So ....three oil puddles ***** .... oil changed by dealer !!!! .... may thoughts are .... THEY Over-filled it ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Are you using the correct oil check process & time-frame? If your Ryker is like the Spyder's, then unless you are checking the oil level immediately AFTER a reasonable ryde, then it's not worth wasting the time doing that & if you go by the level you find then it could lead to major issues!! . That said, is it possible that it WAS very much over-filled at the oil change 3 months ago & the dip-stick has actually been plugging the hole that'd let it over-flow every time you check it afterwards!?!

So, DID you check the oil level immediately after getting it back from the dealer 3 months ago?? And have you ridden it much since then??

Regardless, I'd think that if it's still under warranty, then this is really a dealer problem! They may claim that it's got nothing to do with them, cos you could've over-filled it with oil at any time over the last 3 months, but if you KNOW you haven't touched it, then all that does is highlight the potential for 'other dodgy goings on' at that dealership so maybe you don't ever want them to touch your Ryker again! . A reputable dealer would respect the honesty of their customers & simply fix the problem; no arguments, little cost, less time wasted, and a whole lot of customer loyalty earned!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer over filled both my Ryker and Spyder by half quart when they changed the oil. Luckily I checked it after I rode them home from the dealer. So, only about 50 miles on them. I didn't have an spills happen when I checked the oil. I did have to "suck" out the excess oil.

I think the issue is, other than the tech not paying good attention....They use the oil change kits (that any customer can buy) and just use all the oil in the kit weather the bike calls for that amount or not.

Spyder Garage

Default Gonna have to watch this service department.

Update to my puddle of oil on the ground post. Checked my receipt for the oil change service this morning. There it is. I was charged for 4 quarts of oil. I take it in Fri. to repair the limp mode state it is in and a discussion about it's puking oil. Should be interesting.

Spyder Garage

Update to my puddle of oil on the ground post. Checked my receipt for the oil change service this morning. There it is. I was charged for 4 quarts of oil. I take it in Fri. to repair the limp mode state it is in and a discussion about it's puking oil. Should be interesting.
    Yikes, should be 3 quarts.

Spyder Garage

Default not good

I hope you didn’t ride it back to the dealer and had them pick it up. You don’t want to blow the seals. Of course you could have drained a quart out then show them their receipt. Is your bike a 2019 or 2020?

Spyder Garage

This autumn I went to the dealer for the first service after 12 months.
    A week or so later I checked the oil level (with the correct method ofc) and found that it was over filled by about half a quart. Instantly I called the service manager and explained the situation, and they said it was no problem and could be ignored, however if I came by they could suck out the excess oil.
    This is an official and certified BRP dealer. Needless to say they lost any of my future business.
    As soon as the warranty runs out I plan to do all service myself. Hopefully BRP techs will not destroy my engine before then...

Spyder Garage

My Ryker ( the leaker ) is a 2019 600 cc. All is well now. When I showed the service writer the receipt for 4 quarts of oil he took care of everything. The reason for the limp mode was a yaw sensor, whatever that is. It threw the same code and limp months ago but the sensor checked out okay. This time they replaced it. All the work was under warranty. I didn't ask but I figure they had a newbie change the oil last time.

Spyder Garage

Warranty or no warranty, I bought a brand new 2019 F-3S and after I checked it over after I got it home, it has never gone back to that dealer or any dealer. I been working on motorcycles for 60 years. Some young kid with a few months of service tech training is not going to be as careful as I am.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver