Spyder Garage

Default Battery removal unnecessarily difficult

Wanted to pull my battery and keep it indoors on a trickle charger for the winter. Even though it's right there under the cowl, the retaining mechanism requires a lot of disassembly just to access.
    The shop manual section for removing the battery says "remove the battery". Real helpful.
    This could be so simple but I suspect it was designed to be difficult to deter battery theft??
    2019 Rally , BLACK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't need to remove it, just plug it into the pigtail that either got installed by the dealer or came with the charger that you need connect to the terminals.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you but as I mentioned I prefer to bring my batteries inside during the winter. I have 2 trickle chargers and 5 batteries to rotate through. I do the same in the summer with snowmobile batteries. Having them inside is so much more convenient to keep tabs on their status.
    I was just pointing out that the Ryker battery mounting is the most difficult to access out of any vehicle I have encountered, and that the shop manual is of no help with this.
    2019 Rally , BLACK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NHTundra View Post
    Wanted to pull my battery and keep it indoors on a trickle charger for the winter. Even though it's right there under the cowl, the retaining mechanism requires a lot of disassembly just to access.
    The shop manual section for removing the battery says "remove the battery". Real helpful.
    This could be so simple but I suspect it was designed to be difficult to deter battery theft??
    This guy makes it look pretty easy......

Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

You're right in that he makes it look easy. Once you know the trick. Good find.
    Both ends of the strap are completely hidden, and the manual is of no help whatsoever.
    2019 Rally , BLACK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NHTundra View Post
    I was just pointing out that the Ryker battery mounting is the most difficult to access out of any vehicle I have encountered, and that the shop manual is of no help with this.
    I'll see your Ryker ... and raise you one Ural ... ;-}

Those gawdsawful straps are kinda traditional for me - the Yamaha XS650s came with those and I used the same trick to get at the hooks. Easy once you learn the secret.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the people who designed things had to actually work on things, there would be easier to work things! cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    I'll see your Ryker ... and raise you one Ural ... ;-}
    That's insane... I'll fold.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I mentioned to my mechanic, a while back, how tough it is to unhook the front of the battery strap. He said to unhook the tabs at the upper rearward side of the front cowling. You don't have to loosen the 30 Torx at the bottom front. It works. I also trimmed down some electrical tape and wrapped it around the square battery posts, so the nuts won't be lost. I'll apply dielectric grease when I install the battery (it's still up on a bench in the basement getting trickled).

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    This guy makes it look pretty easy......
    Yes, lineman pliers pulling the strap forward (minute 2)
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black