Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Computer/monitor question

I'm having an unusual computer/monitor/dock issue. I have a (3) year old Lenovo Thinkpad T450s along with the docking station and (2) 32" HP Pavilion monitors. I bought the laptop used about a year ago and so far, it's been flawless. Recently, I've tried to play Netflix and Amazon Prime videos on 1 monitor whilst surfing on the other. Unfortunately, once the video starts to play, the screen on the 2nd monitor dies. Blank screen, just as if I shut the monitor off. If I play a video off of an SSD/HDD, everything is fine. I don't recall this happening before but generally I watch Netflix/Amazon Prime content on my TV.

Not sure if this is a laptop, docking station or monitor issue. When I swap windows between the monitors, the issue continues but on the opposite monitor. This makes me think this is NOT a monitor issue. I'd rather not buy another laptop or docking station as both are fairly expensive and I'd feel the need to upgrade the laptop if I'm going to drop a grand on a replacement.

Any suggestions, please?

Spyder Garage

I'm not a computer expert, but I do a lot off googling. I'm not sure if this helps, or you already knew all of it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-bec9671f728a

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do you have the multiple monitor option set to extend these displays? What happens if you play Netflix video in a window size less than full screen? It might also have something to with Digital Rights Management, but I don't why it should. I just watched a few seconds of a PBS movie and a Vudu free movie at full screen on my second monitor with no problem. Try other videos, like local TV news broadcasts, PBS, and Vudu and see what happens. If they cause the other monitor to blank out then I'd say there is something fishy going on with the laptop. If not, then it's something with Netflix and Amazon. Send them an email, or do a chat, and see what they have to say.

Don't underestimate the tenacity of Netflix and Amazon to do whatever to prevent piracy.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I'm not a computer expert, but I do a lot off googling. I'm not sure if this helps, or you already knew all of it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-bec9671f728a
    Already knew about that but thanks, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Do you have the multiple monitor option set to extend these displays? What happens if you play Netflix video in a window size less than full screen? It might also have something to with Digital Rights Management, but I don't why it should. I just watched a few seconds of a PBS movie and a Vudu free movie at full screen on my second monitor with no problem. Try other videos, like local TV news broadcasts, PBS, and Vudu and see what happens. If they cause the other monitor to blank out then I'd say there is something fishy going on with the laptop. If not, then it's something with Netflix and Amazon. Send them an email, or do a chat, and see what they have to say.

Don't underestimate the tenacity of Netflix and Amazon to do whatever to prevent piracy.
    I don't think it has anything to do with DRM. I'm signed in to both Netflix and Amazon Prime so they know it's really me. I'll try another streaming service like VUDU and see it that affects this the same. Thanks.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This might help you. https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/com...nitor_to_lose/. I find similar problems discussed on various forums. What happens if you take the laptop out of the dock and plug the 2nd monitor directly into the laptop. Do both screens then work, or does one blank out. Don't rule out DRM conflicting with your monitor or graphics card or cables.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't have many clients running Lenovo, but would try these steps
    1. Make sure you have the latest updates from Lenovo for Windows and the bits and pieces inside, being a Lenovo keep a note of the versions you install from the updates page - you may have to reverse some.
    2. Install updates from Microsoft (you dont say what version of windows you are running)
    3. Make sure you have the display drivers for the screens you are using - you mention HP so go to their site and install the drivers for that model screen
    4. How much memory (RAM) does the Lenovo have? - If its only 4 GB or 8GB the laptop may be running out of memory to run more than one screen. Some laptops use the same memory your programs consume and can conflict with one another.
    5. Restart your laptop and start it in Diagnostics Mode, run the diagnostics for everything and see what is reported.

Let me know how you go. I'm an IT contractor so am happy to help, and so that you can see you arent getting advice from just anyone check my background at www.askitee.com.au
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I don't have many clients running Lenovo, but would try these steps
    1. Make sure you have the latest updates from Lenovo for Windows and the bits and pieces inside, being a Lenovo keep a note of the versions you install from the updates page - you may have to reverse some.
    2. Install updates from Microsoft (you dont say what version of windows you are running)
    3. Make sure you have the display drivers for the screens you are using - you mention HP so go to their site and install the drivers for that model screen
    4. How much memory (RAM) does the Lenovo have? - If its only 4 GB or 8GB the laptop may be running out of memory to run more than one screen. Some laptops use the same memory your programs consume and can conflict with one another.
    5. Restart your laptop and start it in Diagnostics Mode, run the diagnostics for everything and see what is reported.

Let me know how you go. I'm an IT contractor so am happy to help, and so that you can see you arent getting advice from just anyone check my background at www.askitee.com.au
    I'm running Win10Pro. I have the latest updates and drivers. 16GB of RAM so that shouldn't be an issue. When I open Task Manager, I'm only looking @ about 40% RAM usage and less than 20% CPU usage.

I'll try to unplug/plug in the HDMI cable like the Reddit article said that Idaho linked to.