Spyder Garage

Default It was a “shocks and brakes” day...

Today was a good day to do some fixes on the 2013 RTL. I’ve heard a dozen times how the shocks on the 2013 were terrible. You may not realize how terrible they are until you replace them. Bought a used set of take-offs for a 2015 (Spydernatic) and installed them today. I dreaded the install after reading a bunch of threads about “hard to reach” and “double sided sticky tape” etc. As it turns out, it was much easier than anticipated. The top is done blind because I’m a big guy at 6’2” and 250lbs. It was awkward, but they came off and went back on without any cussing. And, I didn’t use any tape - didn’t need to - because it threaded right back on easily.

I compared the 2013 and 2015 shocks and the 2015 are much bigger in diameter....made the 2013 look like they belonged on something much smaller. My test ride showed a very noticeable difference in the corners. I’ve never felt there was a problem with the bumps in the road, but the cornering was always a little sketchy at speed. The Spyder no longer flexes in the corners and cornering is much firmer with little dipping. It was a great upgrade - much like the Bajaron sway bar. I feel much more in control. I did notice that it sounds like something is rubbing on the right tire/fender when cornering harder than usual....not sure what that is...

I also replaced the brake pads with the EBC pads. The removed pads still had lots of life on them but I was getting some squeaking about half the time. Didn’t find any lodged rocks or unusual grooves in the rotor. I will have to wait and see how they work after a little use to wear off any glazing and break them in. BRP uses locks of Loctite...needed a 2’ breaker bar to break the calipers loose...they were not going to loosen up on the road!

Surprisingly, I replaced all the brakes and the shocks in less then three hours and with zero cussing...a banner day!

On a side note, I had the dealer replace all my tires with car tires about 3 months ago. Not sure how many foot-pounds of torque they used to reinstall, but I needed a breaker bar just to loosen them...couldn’t do it with a lug wrench. They must have had someone complain of a loose lug nut at some point and they ensure it will not come loose ever.... I torqued them to specs when I reinstalled. And, it was a good time to clean the chrome rims with the wheels off...easier to get a brush into the nooks and crannies.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a busy and productive day. If you don't mind, tell me which dealer was it that replaced your tires, because some say they will and say they some won't. My local dealer is Kent Powersports in Selma. They replaced my front wheels and tires with a new set of PPA wheels and Vrederstein tires that were already mounted. Rear tire will be replaced son and I'd like to take the Spyder and tire and be able to have the change done without hassle.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Just be aware that there have been instances of people posting the names of dealers who were prepared to fit 'non-kenda tires' here on the Forum, only for whatever reason (& pressure from BRP is just one of the myriad of possibilities & not necessarily involved at all!! ) the very next person to approach that dealer with the 'will you fit non-kenda tires to my Spyder/Ryker' request has been turned away disappointed because 'we don't do that here anymore'......

So if you're smart and you really want to keep the dealer you know who's prepared to fit the tires YOU want on side & still doing that, then I strongly suggest that you DO NOT publish their details or even identify them by region here on the Forum for all & sundry to see!! (is your location shown in your profile or sig line? )

And for those of you who WANT to know or share who the dealer is, DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL on the public pages,

Rather, just send that request by PM, so that even if the OP doesn't know that by telling the world they may be ruining their own chances and yours of ever getting another non-Kenda tire fitted, they will at least be more likely to reply by PM and not ruin anyone/everyone else's chances as well as their own &/or drag their helpful dealer into something they don't deserve besides!!

If you want these helpful Dealers to keep on fitting non-Kenda tires, then it's pretty obvious that for whatever reason, you SHOULD NOT PUBLISH THEIR DETAILS on the public pages - always share that info discretely, or risk losing that dealer as someone who is prepared to help you with fitting non-Kenda tires!

Yeah, I know - what's the world coming to?! But it is what it is & you hafta work with that! Too many dealers who once fitted non-Kenda tires now won't, and the only common denominator we can see is that they were identified on the public pages of a Forum as doing that; and shortly there-after they stopped doing so! You can connect whatever dots you like, but it doesn't change the fact that it HAS happened, and may well happen again!!

Keep that info discrete or risk losing their help with fitting non-Kenda tires!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-02-2021 at 09:39 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default punishing good dealers etc.

Peter, what you said is exactly what happened with two of the largest Auto tire sellers ( shall be un-named ) ..... too bad ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Just be aware that there have been instances of people posting the names of dealers who were prepared to fit 'non-kenda tires' here on the Forum, only for whatever reason (& pressure from BRP is just one of the myriad of possibilities & not necessarily involved at all!! ) the very next person to approach that dealer with the 'will you fit non-kenda tires to my Spyder/Ryker' request has been turned away disappointed because 'we don't do that here anymore'......

So if you're smart and you really want to keep the dealer you know who's prepared to fit the tires YOU want on side & still doing that, then I strongly suggest that you DO NOT publish their details or even identify them by region here on the Forum for all & sundry to see!! (is your location shown in your profile or sig line? )

And for those of you who WANT to know or share who the dealer is, DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL on the public pages,

Rather, just send that request by PM, so that even if the OP doesn't know that by telling the world they may be ruining their own chances and yours of ever getting another non-Kenda tire fitted, they will at least be more likely to reply by PM and not ruin anyone/everyone else's chances as well as their own &/or drag their helpful dealer into something they don't deserve besides!!

If you want these helpful Dealers to keep on fitting non-Kenda tires, then it's pretty obvious that for whatever reason, you SHOULD NOT PUBLISH THEIR DETAILS on the public pages - always share that info discretely, or risk losing that dealer as someone who is prepared to help you with fitting non-Kenda tires!

Yeah, I know - what's the world coming to?! But it is what it is & you hafta work with that! Too many dealers who once fitted non-Kenda tires now won't, and the only common denominator we can see is that they were identified on the public pages of a Forum as doing that; and shortly there-after they stopped doing so! You can connect whatever dots you like, but it doesn't change the fact that it HAS happened, and may well happen again!!

Keep that info discrete or risk losing their help with fitting non-Kenda tires!
    Oops, my bad. I won't ask again! Don't want to spoil things for anyone, anywhere. PM seems to be the correct approach.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Per Ron Athon of Baja Ron, I replaced the dismal 2013 RTL SE5 shocks with 2014 and later Fox Podium Series shocks and put Baja Ron sway bar and links on. Totally changed the machine.
    2013 RT , White