full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle specific oil source

Just a note to any who may not be aware.
    I prefer to use motorcycle specific oil in my 998, and I imagine many of you use the same.
    For those of us who for any reasons want another source other than our dealers, both Auto Zone and O'Rilley auto parts chain stores stock those oils.
    I have used Auto Zone for years all around the country and always found stock. I am not going to talk about brands as that is a whole different subject.

Spyder Garage

Advance Auto also carries a few brands of m/c specific oils.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Walmart .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Amazon delivers!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Oils

Just remember that you get what you pay for. Sometimes prices are not saying all the best things.

You pick, you choose, and it is all your decision.

Be sure to read the labels. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"You get what you pay for".

But sometimes you get more than what you pay for, and sometimes you pay more for what you get. Price isn't necessarily a good criteria
    to base a purchase on. Sellers have been known to charge more simply because they can convince people that high prices imply high quality.

But "It Ain't Necessarily So".
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    "You get what you pay for".

But sometimes you get more than what you pay for, and sometimes you pay more for what you get. Price isn't necessarily a good criteria
    to base a purchase on. Sellers have been known to charge more simply because they can convince people that high prices imply high quality.

But "It Ain't Necessarily So".
    EXACTLY .... retailers sell the SAME product at different prices .... sometimes the same retailers sell the same product for more or less in different area's across the country .... it often depends on how close they are to the manufacturer ..... good luck ..... Mike - Happy New year .....

Spyder Garage

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Whoa, Whoa Whoa....... Lets not get off topic. I'm not talking price or brands. What I am talking about are oils that meet the accepted grades as best for motorcycle (mainly) clutches. All I wanted to do is make others aware of nation wide sources. To some of us that is important.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    Just a note to any who may not be aware.
    I prefer to use motorcycle specific oil in my 998, and I imagine many of you use the same.
    For those of us who for any reasons want another source other than our dealers, both Auto Zone and O'Rilley auto parts chain stores stock those oils.
    I have used Auto Zone for years all around the country and always found stock. I am not going to talk about brands as that is a whole different subject.
    I believe the shop manual states 4T motorcycle oil. Less friction modifiers to protect the friction clutch discs from glazing.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In a pinch, you can use Dello 400. Then change it out when you can. Won't hurt a thing.

Spyder Garage

so by "motorcycle specific" do you mean oils made just for motorcycles or oils that have a JASO MA2 rating?Asking for a friend.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep! I pulled this off an Amsoil question & answer post.

"JASO MA2 oils are formulated to deliver higher clutch frictional performance. They are designed for use in four-stroke motorcycles and scooters and are primarily suitable for wet-clutch applications."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Yep! I pulled this off an Amsoil question & answer post.

"JASO MA2 oils are formulated to deliver higher clutch frictional performance. They are designed for use in four-stroke motorcycles and scooters and are primarily suitable for wet-clutch applications."
    There are 4 wet clutch JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) ratings. 4 designations are given to represent wet clutch engagement potential (or lack thereof). Too little engagement (or too slippery) and you'll get clutch slippage. This is one reason you NEVER ADD anything to your wet clutch oil. You could be very sorry. You are much better off simply getting a better oil than trying to doctor a lesser lubricant with someone's snake oil product.

Slippage will destroy your clutch in short order. A very expensive fix on the Spyder. The short story is that you do not want to use anything less than an MA2 designated Power Sports Lubricant.

Here is a chart that shows what you are looking at with these ratings. Each rating is a spread. So all MA2 rated lubricants are not necessarily the same. One could be at the lower end of MA2, just over the line. Another could be at the high end of the scale.

Ratings going from the least amount of clutch friction to the most are; MB, MA1, MA, MA2. It's always been confusing to me that MA1 has a lower friction factor than MA. But then I'm not Japanese!

JASO.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-30-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...