Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake / will not shift 2014 RTL

parking brake would not release disconnected spring and 12 mil nuts to disengage parking brake spyder, now will not shift out of 1st gear is there any connection between the two discrepancies

Spyder Garage

Seperate systems. First thing to look at is the shift arm under left side to see if it fell off.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

talked with my friend who owns this machine motor was bad in parking brake, he apparently moved the machine vigorously back and forth to get the park brake to release this did some severe damage to transition and clutch, so if park brake is set do not try to move machine

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Early production 2014 RT had problems with parking brake motor. Mine was replaced at something like 10k miles.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just got my first Spyder last week. It's a 2018 RT SM6. My brother and I drove 8 hours to get it from a dealer in Virginia. I got a smoking deal on it. It was a unit used for teaching Spyder riders. It has 200 miles on it and 20 moths of warranty remaining. I got it for $15,500. The dealer was Coleman Powersports in Woodbridge VA. I only mention them because they are awesome to work with. The battery was dead the day we got there. They put a new battery in the next day and when they started it, the parking brake was locked up. 5 1/2 hours later, I had it on the trailer heading back to wester NY. It has been sitting in my garage on the tender for a week. I went for a 3 mile ride over to my brother's house today. When I went to leave, the parking brake was stuck again. The light on the dash just flashes and the brake will not disengage. I disconnected the cable so I could ride it home. I reconnected the cable at home an now it works fine. Is the starting procedure so sensitive that I caused the brake to lock up? When I went to leave my brother's, I started the bike and put in reverse and let out the clutch with the brake engaged. I'm not used to a parking brake on a motorcycle. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"I'm not used to a parking brake on a motorcycle. Any advice would be appreciated." Yes, get used to it. They all work that way, sorry. The parking brake on my two-wheeler was first gear. I now have the SE6 so the change over for me was not too difficult. I can understand and sympathize with you owning the SM6 and having to deal with the automatic parking brake system. But it is what it is. I guess it's part of the nanny system.