Spyder Garage

Default Anyone know how to disconnect this plug?

This is the plug that connects to the back of the instrument panel that I'm trying to disconnect. It does not appear there is a lip or protrusion that I have to press in order to "unlock" the plug. As far as the red tab is concerned, I've been pushing and pulling until my thumb nail is almost out of it's socket, but the plug refuses to budge. Am I missing something.

20201229_140833.jpg

20201229_140842.jpg
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't have a Ryker so this is just a guess, but have to tried to push down on the little, centered tab as you're pulling out the larger tab on the end?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I don't have a Ryker so this is just a guess, but have to tried to push down on the little, centered tab as you're pulling out the larger tab on the end?
    Not yet, but that's now on my list....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Pull the red part back to the right in the pictures. Chris
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Looks to me like the red part is a lock that prevents the black release tab from being pushed. Slide the red tab out and then release the black part like you expect.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Like said I believe that red tab pulls up, when that little lock gets out of that slot the plug should come apart! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

In your photo, slide the red tab to the right and it will release the black anchors that lock the connector in place.
    Sometimes, those tabs are very hard to move.
    If you look carefully, there seems to be a stop that is indexing the red piece in place. You may need to lift the red tab towards you, away from the black plastic to clear the stop, then move the red tab to the right to unlock the fitting.
    In the past, I've inserted a flat bladed screw driver where the red tab meets the black plastic to gently coax the red tab to the right.
    When reassembling the connector, be sure to push the ret tab in past this stop to lock it in place.
    Good luck and keep us posted so we know how you make out.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice. My problem was that mount holding the instrument cluster and the windshield was loose and both would move maybe an inch or so to the left and back again. I could not figure out how to tighten the part where the instrument cluster and windshield mounted to. So first I removed the windshield. That in itself did not offer any immediate solution, so I thought perhaps there was a bolt under the instrument cluster.

I removed the four screws holding the instrument cluster on, and that's when I came across the problem that was outlined by the photos I posted. The good news however was once I got the instrument cluster off and a little out of the way, I saw there was like a #10 hex screw right behind where the cable comes down from the cluster and under the plastic into the guts of the bike.

I did not see that initially since my 68 year old eyes have trouble dealing with contrast in dark areas. I was able to get to that screw without having to take the instrument cluster off after all. I really did not even have to remove the cluster from it's mounting location since it sits right above the screw I needed to tighten.

So as of right now, everything is battened down and ship shape. If the same problems crops up again, at least I'll know how to deal with it. I will probably take a chance and take that bolt out and apply a little blue lock tight to it.

Again thanks for all the assistance.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

I’ve been dealing with this problem for some time now. Be careful not to over tighten that hex screw like I did and crack the mount. No amount of lock tight would stop it from loosening.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When i installed my pedal commander i had the same issue ... there is was secondary pin on the inside that i has to be push with one of those miniature screw drivers. If you go to you tube and watch the install on line for the peddle commander done by the guy with the wrapped Ryker, he shows you how to release it when he is installing the unit. I had the same frustration as you on one of these type of plugs. Its a pain in the butt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NotSteve View Post
    I’ve been dealing with this problem for some time now. Be careful not to over tighten that hex screw like I did and crack the mount. No amount of lock tight would stop it from loosening.
    I use RTV adhesive on screws like that.
    2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NotSteve View Post
    No amount of lock tight would stop it from loosening.
    Be CAREFUL using LocTite around plastic. Depending on the type of plastic, the solvent in LocTite will craze it and it will shatter, even before you put a screw in the hole.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Pipe thread tape. It works wonders.