Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

This is what i did to my 2021 spyder RTL has 550 miles so far.
    Bajaron sway bar, Cat delete,Two brothers muffler, F3 bar, Belt tensioner, Mirror lock, Oem Passinger armrest and next project will be Trailer hitch w/ hardness.

Spyder Garage

I’m bringing up this older thread for a couple of reasons. #1, I was doing a search for trailer hitches, which this thread obviously isn’t about, just the same, it caught my eye as well as several responses. Let me first mention, which some of you know, I’m picking up a 2021 RT Limited in less than a week

What picqued my curiosity here was several references about the 2020/2021 deficit in the handling department, which was contrary to many who said the 2020/2021 RT’s no longer had the handling problems of the previous generation RT’s. Specifically, I’ve read, and heard that no longer was the Baja Ron sway bar needed. That said, I’m sure I’m opening up a can of worms with Ron who supplies the sway bar, but regardless, which is it? Did the latest Gen RT improve the general road handling so an upgraded sway bar is not needed, or what?

I realize that is a loaded question, and for sure, there will be some individuals that will want to install Ron’s sway bar no matter what, including the fact those individuals claim (& rightly so) their riding abilities justify an improvement in that department. But what I’m referring to is, is or isn’t the 2020/2021 RT’s road holding ability greatly improved?

Again, I’m not walking into this purchase with eyes wide closed yet I swore the general consensus is that for average riding, the upgraded sway bar isn’t necessary

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

not in this order though

Lowboy Windshield w/flip light gray
    Top Case/Seat Extender
    Mirror/Side Vent Turn Signal Combo
    BRP Short Reach Handlebars
    Mirror Wedgies
    USB Charger SAE-USB Adapter with Voltmeter
    SAE Quick Connect Harness
    "SPYCLOPS" LED Light
    2 - LidLox Handlebar Helmet Locks
    UltraGard Full Cover
    Foam Grip Covers
    IPS Drink Holder w/bag
    Belt Tensioner
    Brake Rod # 3
    Big Bike Parts Key Covers (2)
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Ram mount
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Top Cuff w/Ram Ball
    Phone Phang Holder
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my ‘14 RTS the very first thing I added was the drivers backrest, and it helped some....secondly was the Tri-Axis handlebars. For me it was those 2 items that if I had not added them, I would not be riding today.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post

What picqued my curiosity here was several references about the 2020/2021 deficit in the handling department, which was contrary to many who said the 2020/2021 RT’s no longer had the handling problems of the previous generation RT’s. Specifically, I’ve read, and heard that no longer was the Baja Ron sway bar needed. That said, I’m sure I’m opening up a can of worms with Ron who supplies the sway bar, but regardless, which is it? Did the latest Gen RT improve the general road handling so an upgraded sway bar is not needed, or what?

I realize that is a loaded question, and for sure, there will be some individuals that will want to install Ron’s sway bar no matter what, including the fact those individuals claim (& rightly so) their riding abilities justify an improvement in that department. But what I’m referring to is, is or isn’t the 2020/2021 RT’s road holding ability greatly improved?

Hey Jake, I figured the bolded bits were actually what you were after info on, so in answer to that bit, I think you'd hafta say the best answer is "It depends!"

Sure, the latest Gen RT's DO undoubtedly have improved handling over the earlier versions, but is it enough that an upgraded sway bar is not needed?!? . It's still the same old sway bar, it seems there's been NO CHANGE in specs/diameter/design to that in itself, so I'd suggest it really depends on each individual and HOW you ryde; what sort of roads/twisty bits you ride on or avoid; how skilled you are at riding up to but not exceeding your Spyder's handling capabilities; how much work you want to put into your riding; what sort of ride/handling performance you expect from your Spyder; and probably a whole shed load of other stuff besides!!

Then again, for many, as with the earlier Gen RT's, the ride & handling will be more than enough to keep them happy, and the new Gen improvements added to the better ergonomics for those sitting somewhere within the 'expected normal rider' range, probably means that more of the buying population are likely to be fairly happy with the latest Gen RT's straight off the show-room floor! So the revised ride & handling are definitely an improvement, but for some with higher needs/wants/expectations, possibly that's not going to be enough! Besides, there's STILL a fair percentage of Spyders leaving the Dealer's lot with the same old alignment issues, the same old dodgy Kendas issues, the same old BRP Connect issues, and so on....

Is the upgraded ride & handling a step in the right direction? Definitely! . Is it a far enough step/big enough improvement that you shouldn't need to consider an upgraded anti-sway bar? Well, since it's such a personal/individual thing, who really knows until you try it?? . Does it address any of the other real & equally as frustrating/annoying/critical issues that've been plague-ing Spyder owners for years - not at all!

Just sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

In reply to Shakin_Jake, post #27.

I am extremely happy with the handling of my 2021 Spyder RTL.
    In the last 3 years I did an hour test-ride on a 2014 and later an hour on a 2018 RTL… decided to wait and see if they would ever change the design. They did in 2020 and I waited another year.
    My 2021 handles almost as stable as my Gold Wing trike did. This bike does not have the squirrely/twitchy movement that I found with the 2014 and 2018. We ride some bumpy back roads and the Spyder glides over it compared to the Gold Wing trike.
    I did add a Utopia driver backrest, Helibars, air wings, and foam over-grips…but those were just for my personal comfort zone.
    So far I am more than pleased with the bike.
    However… the one thing I will be looking forward to is when the OEM Kendas give out…
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

After my first ryde, I had to fix 2 things first. The Passenger seat sensor shutting me down on the curves and getting a Baja Ron Sway bar. Also a major need was a Garmin Zumo GPS. Tires can wait. I had a budget to spend for starters. I went to Lamonster Garage online store and went down the list and picked out everything I wanted.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    In reply to Shakin_Jake, post #27.

I am extremely happy with the handling of my 2021 Spyder RTL.
    In the last 3 years I did an hour test-ride on a 2014 and later an hour on a 2018 RTL… decided to wait and see if they would ever change the design. They did in 2020 and I waited another year.
    My 2021 handles almost as stable as my Gold Wing trike did. This bike does not have the squirrely/twitchy movement that I found with the 2014 and 2018. We ride some bumpy back roads and the Spyder glides over it compared to the Gold Wing trike.
    I did add a Utopia driver backrest, Helibars, air wings, and foam over-grips…but those were just for my personal comfort zone.
    So far I am more than pleased with the bike.
    However… the one thing I will be looking forward to is when the OEM Kendas give out…

~~~I wonder if the previous Spyders you rode (2014, 2018), were not aligned properly. If you read enough posts on this board, eventually you read where someone gloats about the laser alignment they paid for, and probably needed

I asked the dealer I bought my 2020 Ryker Rally from, if they were going to laser align the 2021 RTL they were going to "put together" for me The sales manager's response to me was they don't have the equipment to laser align, but that they use string and tape "the old fashion way" to check alignment of the trikes they get from BRP It must work because, they sold me the new Ryker Rally I bought from them back in March 2020 and there is absolutely no alignment issues

My thoughts on laser alignment- If the operator that is using the equipment knows how to use it, I'm sure it's fine. Back when I was roadracing a Ducati 900SS I bought a used aluminum swingarm to replace the steel swingarm on my bike, to lighten er' up First time out on the track she negotiated left hand turns fine but in right handers, she wanted to low side, badly, so I took my bike to GMD Computrack at the time in Atlanta, so the owner of this Gary McDonald franchise (Kent Soignier) could measure it on his equipment which consisted of a hot rodded theodolite run with proprietary software on a laptop Bottom line, the swingarm was bent and Kent straightened it Next outing on the track (I was racing mainly at Morosso in Florida) all was well Kent claimed to have straightened the head stock of that bike as he claims it was a little bit out of alignment So, in furtherance of making sure the trikes we ride are aligned correctly and also reflecting on the work I've done with a few carpenters, what matters is getting it straight If you can accomplish that using string, tape and other measuring devices (tape measure), that's all you need. Again, so long as the operator of the laser equipment is versed in how to operate the laser equipment, and said equipment is in goood condition, I'm sure that's an acceptable modality, and I'd 7se it myself, if a mechanic thatn mkinows how to measure the old fashion way wasn't available. Notice I left myself out of that equation

Ive been totally happy with the way my Ryker Rally handles in it's stock configuration, and I have to wonder if I'm going down another rabbit hole, buying a Can Am Spyder I say that with a little bit of facetiousness yet at the same time, I've not had any handling issues with my Ryker, even the Kenda tires the rally model I have came with are exceptional tires, unlike what I read about that comes stock on Can Am Spyders. to this day You would thhink if BRP had Kenda engineers come up with the new tire they tout, then Kenda Kanine, you would think, they would mount them to all new RT and F3 models After all, I'm paying a roughly $27K entry fee for this trike That's premium money, which deserves premium tires yet you and others have mentioned that although you waited to buy the latest and the supposedly greatest trikes BRP has ever built, then the same mounts dodgy tires?!? Like I said, here I go, aiming straight down another rabbit hole Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    A spoon does not know the taste of soup, nor a learned fool the taste of wisdom.
    celticrusader B&B
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Jake - the proverbial rabbit hole is only what we make it. Stepping up from the Ryker to the Spyder RT is a significant change. The Ryker handling will be a lot more sporty than the Spyder - haven't rode a Ryker, but the Ryker looks like a lot of fun. Before I bought my 2014 RT LE, test ride was a 2020 RT LE. Lean/roll in the corners was to me excessive - slow down and lots of body language to compensate. On the straight and long curves/corners, just fine. Reminded me of my 2004 Arctic Cat Pantera 600 EFI 2 up "couch". Ride it with a lot of spirit and you're going to work at it in the corners. Spent a weekend riding solo and two up on a 2018 F3 Limited as well. Looked at the Spyder I now own. Sonya liked the ride of the RT better than the F3, bought the 2014 RT LE.

Are the Kenda tires crap. My vote is no. They are an inexpensive tire designed to do a specific job for a specific time frame. No such animal as a lifetime warranty, most manufacturers expect that you will sell and replace whatever long before anything wears out and in doing so, they're off the hook for this miraculous claim. Replaced the Kenda front tires on my Spyder after 16K Kms with Kumho Solus KH16 (Smart car type tires). The Kenda tires still had good tread but were 7 years old, came from the factory. New tires work significantly better than aged tires. Construction of the Kenda and Kumho tires is the same. The Kumho tires are non-directional and cost about the same as new Kenda tires. Would like to see some 60K Kms or more from these new tires - jury is out on this matter.

Are there better quality tires that can be used - yes, willing to pay the price, who knows. Too many variables when it comes to tires and how the tire performs. Alignment, air pressure, and suspension to mention a few.

Shock upgrade for these Spyders is not inexpensive. Is it worth it, to me yes - my riding profile says yes as well, to others no. Have installed M2 shocks front/rear and working on getting the spring rate correct for my riding profile. Significant ride quality and performance improvement, more so than the sway bar install, but you have to address all issues from a system perspective. Each part does a specific job and complements the other parts in the system. Sonya has also noticed and commented on the significant difference in ride as well, and she generally does not comment on this aspect of riding. Is the shock upgrade worth it to Sonya, apparently so, money well spent.

Owned my Spyder for 4 months. Work done: new front rotors and brake pads - had a warped rotor, brake/coolant fluid change, oil/filter/HCM filter change, air filter check, sway bar upgrade - came with the Spyder, handlebar Lidloc, different seat - comfort seat heated, rear tire to be changed - Kenda tire lots of tread remaining but 7 years old, new M2 shocks all round. Doing all the work up front so that I can enjoy the fruits of my labour. Will be adding electronics for next years cross country tour.

Bought the B.U.D.S. software, do my own maintenance/work. Sourced and bought the manuals for my Spyder.

What's your rabbit hole? Bling, mechanical upgrades, or something else? Personal preference I'd say to whatever it is. When I buy a used car, only extras I look for are cruise control and air conditioning, heated seats are a bonus, everything else is "gravy". Very seldom will I do additional work/changes to a car, but my motorcycle, an '85 Goldwing Limited Edition and the Spyder are a different story.
    Take delivery of your new Spyder, ride it as intended, including adhering to the posted speed limits. If you're the same as most of us this won't happen. Get a feel for it, make the changes you want or need to, and enjoy. Very few motorcycles and such out there that have not been modified, upgraded or had bling installed.

Have fun with the rabbit hole. Good luck.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

My top 5 for Ryker:
    1. phone holder (x-grip)
    2. home made luggage rack + large saddle bag
    3. air hawk seat for long rides
    4. Wind screen (I went for OEM one, but there are better looking options out there)
    5. hand air deflectors to keep frost bite away during late and early season rides

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post

What's your rabbit hole? Bling, mechanical upgrades, or something else?
    Have fun with the rabbit hole. Good luck.

~~~rabbit hole would probably end up being everything that effects handling, as it relates to the Spyder yet like the wise sages on here suggest, I'm going to cross that bridge when and only if it needs crossing

In regards to tires, AFAIC tires are a low cost item to replace since I do my own labor, at least they were before this current bunch inhabited the white house

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    "Every time I create a path from my privacy to outside world, it acts as
    a bug light for all the little creeps who want to use the path in
    reverse." - B Goddard
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Peter, in regards to your reply, post #30, it was spot on Thank you!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."--- Mario Andretti
    2020 Rally , Black