Spyder Garage

Default Oxygen sensor location

I need to replace my oxygen sensors (2011 RTL) but can find no information on where they are located and how to get to them. Getting code P0174. Have had it serviced, fuel filter changed, vacuum hoses checked but check engine and P0174 keep coming back on. Was told O2 sensors would be the next thing they checked. Service is about 3 hours from me so trying to save a trip and do it myself.
    Can anyone help please?

Spyder Garage

Go to this link, https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...ts-iframe.html, drill down to your year and model, look at fiche 01 - Exhaust System, and look at item #10, Primary Exhaust Muffler. Look immediately to the left of the Item 10 designation and you will see what looks like the mounting hole for the oxygen sensor. Now look at the underside of your Spyder and see if you can find the oxy sensor.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

P0174 - Bank 2 lean. Bank 2 is your rear cylinder. Pull off that long right side panel, look at the exhaust pipe coming out of the rear cylinder and the sensor will be right in front of you.

However, based on the operational history of the older V-twin RT's and that code, I would suggest doing a canisterectomy first. That will eliminate any issues arising from a faulty purge valve leaking by. Do a forum or Google search for canisterectomy. You're also going to want to run a couple tanks of Sea Foam or other top shelf injector cleaner through it. And don’t baby it.

If you want to go ahead with the O2 sensor replacement, it's an easy DIY job. Just order one from Cheap Cycle Parts or someplace like that. Get the OEM part. That way you'll be sure that the harness will be plug and play. It comes with anti-seize compound already on the threads. The only tricky part is getting a wrench on it. But, its a great opportunity to buy more tools. You probably won't be able to fit a torque wrench in there. The spec is 30 ft/lbs. It has a crush washer on it. So, just tighten it the same way you would a spark plug.

Other than that, do a look around for any other opportunity for a vacuum leak, such as the rubber boot the throttle bodies are mounted on. Good luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238