Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT "base" and Limited suspension differences?

I rode a new demo model RT Limited at a local dealership this past week, and was decently impressed with the suspension on this model. It was night and day compared to the 2014 RT Limited I once owned.

I've since wondered if there's any difference between the suspension of the standard "base" model RT and the Limited.

Anyone know?

TIA
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoswami View Post
    I rode a new demo model RT Limited at a local dealership this past week, and was decently impressed with the suspension on this model. It was night and day compared to the 2014 RT Limited I once owned.

I've since wondered if there's any difference between the suspension of the standard "base" model RT and the Limited.

Anyone know?

TIA
    I doubt it ..... the 14 rt basic and the Lid. had the same suspension .... I think this applies to to 2020's as well .....jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The Limited has automatic ride height adjustment via a sensor connected to the swing arm and a compressor. The 'base' model RT has a schrader valve under the drivers seat that you use to adjust the ride height. Other than that, I think they are the same.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    The Limited has automatic ride height adjustment via a sensor connected to the swing arm and a compressor. The 'base' model RT has a schrader valve under the drivers seat that you use to adjust the ride height. Other than that, I think they are the same.
    Absolutely correct. I did a bunch of research before I bought my 2021 RT base. I wanted to see what the differences were between the base model and Limited. The front suspension is identical between the 2 and the rear suspension is identical other than the $600 air pump.

Spyder Garage

Good info. I'm inclined to look for the base model and add the topbox/passenger accommodation. I can get by with merely four speakers (!), and leave the rear suspension set for the two of us with no further ado.

Does one's cell phone Bluetooth to either audio system?
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoswami View Post
    Good info. I'm inclined to look for the base model and add the topbox/passenger accommodation. I can get by with merely four speakers (!), and leave the rear suspension set for the two of us with no further ado.

Does one's cell phone Bluetooth to either audio system?
    That's what I did and, yes. Audio system/dash is identical on both.

Here are the differences, front to back: Limited adds "signature lights" which are "eyebrow lights", one on each side, in front. (Available for under $200 from BuRP should you choose to add them later. You need to remove the front end which, according to the service manual, is time consuming but not too difficult.) Limited comes standard with a frunk liner. (You can add this later although it's a bit labor intensive.) Limited adds heated seats, driver and passenger. Limited also adds heated passenger grab rails. Limited has the auto leveling suspension. (Base is manually adjustable via a Schrader valve under the seat. Note, BuRP sells the auto leveling system for $600. I'm guessing it's VERY labor intensive to add later.) Limited the trunk/top case. This also adds (2) extra speakers. (Base model comes with a body colored cover in lieu of the trunk.) Limited has (4) color options (white, blue, gray and red) and is available in Dark or Chrome. (Base model has (2) color options (white/Chalk and blue/Petrol Metallic, both of which are in Dark only.)

Again, I opted for the base model. I ride solo so some of the Limited "additions" I didn't feel like I wanted to pay for. I add extra lights but as I noted, the Signature lights are available from BuRP. I think they're $189. Since I don't have a passenger, I don't care about heated passenger grips. I've had heated seats before. Personally, I think they're overrated. On the other hand, I don't tend to ride under about 35*. I bought a frunk liner. I have yet to install it only because I don't have a proper garage and it's cold out. I don't want to spend 1/2 a day basically outside. I'll get to this in the spring when I'll probably buy/install the Signature lights. I've found that, for my purposes, I don't need the auto leveling suspension. It's always just me on the bike and my level of cargo stays the same. If I had a passenger off and on and/or went on longer trips where I might have a lot of cargo and/or pulled a trailer, it might come in handy. I was happy with the (2) color choices offered on the base model and I prefer the dark look.

I DO want the trunk. It's available new from BuRP for $2049. I don't want one that badly but I'd be willing to pay a grand or so for a very nice used one. I have an add in the Classifieds now, looking for one.

I rambled a bit but I hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    That's what I did and, yes. Audio system/dash is identical on both.

I DO want the trunk. It's available new from BuRP for $2049. I don't want one that badly but I'd be willing to pay a grand or so for a very nice used one. I have an add in the Classifieds now, looking for one.
    Maybe add the RT LinQ Rack and an after-market topcase like Shad? Easy under $1000.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I just purchased a 2020 RT base model. I added everything that the limited has except the heated passenger grips and self leveling suspension.
    Believe it or not, the salesperson convinced me to do it that way. I basically bought a new 2020 RT base( 0 miles) with all of the limited features, for the same price I would have paid for a 2021 RT base. Oh yeah, I also had the dealer swap the RT handle bars for the F3 handle bars.
    The salesperson said that the self leveling suspension really isn't a big deal. Especially if I'm primarily riding solo. Plus, it gives you 1 more thing to deal with it if it breaks.
    I'd recommend looking into a similar deal if you can find one. That is, unless you just want to have the heated passenger grips and self leveling suspension.
    Now, I just have to get Gwen delivered

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Maybe add the RT LinQ Rack and an after-market topcase like Shad? Easy under $1000.
    I thought about that. I'd rather have the top case.

Spyder Garage

Here is my two cents for what its worth. The limited is always making micro adjustments depending on how I ride and what surface I am riding on. Its not like I just get on and it feels my weight and adjusts and never moves again until I get off. Its constantly adjusting. When I am stopped you can hear and feel the pressure being released. If I am at a red light for more then 10 seconds it will release pressure. Same when I go from aggressive riding to slowing it down it will auto adjust. It also adjusts differently when on the highway and even on different road surfaces. Another advantage is cargo weight. I know you say solo riding but adding 50+ pounds of gear will make a difference.

To be fair I know that static settings over the variable adjustments might not be a huge deal on small trips, but a variable suspension will save massive fatigue over longer ones.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)