Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Negatives of mounting front Camera behind windshield?

Santa brought me a dual camera system https://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/M1 . Rear camera was very easy to mount, but the front has me stumped.

I am looking at mounting it behind the front windshield, but wonder if that has consequences like
    • too blurry in rain,
    • reflected light during night riding,
    • contending with bug gizzards obstructing the view,
    • dust buildup behind and in front of the windshield,
    • Windshield shake affecting the image quality,

Plan B is to make a bracket and mount it just beneath the front windshield.
    Plan C is to mount it on the mirror and notch the casing of the mirror to accommodate the cable (8mm in dia).

Any input is appreciated
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Interesting choice, had not seen that one before. Nice to see more options one the market.

I debated mounting behind the windshield, but came up with the negatives that you did.

I just built a small bracket to mount my front Innovv camera. I think it was the best decision and has caused no concern in 20,000 miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Maybe one day i will learn how to post a picture correctly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Maybe one day i will learn how to post a picture correctly.
    Take photo's in landscape mode. Or edit them to be wider than height.

Edit example. I down loaded your photo and open it in Microscoft "Picture It", rotated it correctly and then cropped it. Chris
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Just visited the Thinkware site. Could not find any information related to how weatherproof their products are. I would expect the rear to be as they are normally mounted outside, but most front dash cams are designed to be mounted inside a vehicle. Is that information included with any of your paperwork?

Spyder Garage

I mounted my Garmin Virb in front of screen using 3M 2-sided tape on the lower cowl. Virb is controlled via the Zumo GPS.
    PXL_20201226_160046711.jpg
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Interesting choice, had not seen that one before. Nice to see more options one the market.

I debated mounting behind the windshield, but came up with the negatives that you did.

I just built a small bracket to mount my front Innovv camera. I think it was the best decision and has caused no concern in 20,000 miles.
    BTW, we got a Spyder RT that color for Christmas.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Take photo's in landscape mode. Or edit them to be wider than height.

Edit example. I down loaded your photo and open it in Microscoft "Picture It", rotated it correctly and then cropped it. Chris
    That's basically what I did to the two that are oriented correctly. My comment was more directed to the fact I was unable to delete the two incorrect pics.

Spyder Garage

That's basically what I did to the two that are oriented correctly. My comment was more directed to the fact I was unable to delete the two incorrect pics.
    Go to edit, go advanced, manage attachments and scroll down and you can delete attached photo's individually. Chirs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Go to edit, go advanced, manage attachments and scroll down and you can delete attached photo's individually. Chirs
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

Now if my pea brain will just remember that tip next time it happens. Previous post pics now corrected.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn8964 View Post
    Just visited the Thinkware site. Could not find any information related to how weatherproof their products are. I would expect the rear to be as they are normally mounted outside, but most front dash cams are designed to be mounted inside a vehicle. Is that information included with any of your paperwork?
    Wondered same thing did some digging they have one under Motorsport : M1 better suited & some other features
    https://us.thinkware.com/m1/

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very tidy effort there.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn8964 View Post
    Yes the M1 is what they refer to as an ATV camera suitable for outdoor recreation vehicles.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Santa brought me a dual camera system https://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/M1 . Rear camera was very easy to mount, but the front has me stumped.

I am looking at mounting it behind the front windshield, but wonder if that has consequences like
    • too blurry in rain,
    • reflected light during night riding,
    • contending with bug gizzards obstructing the view,
    • dust buildup behind and in front of the windshield,
    • Windshield shake affecting the image quality,

I have my GoPro mounted behind the windshield in the center of the dash. Seems to me most of the negatives listed are just as negative if the camera is mounted out in the open. I’ve never experienced problems with reflected light. My windshield doesn’t shake.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-18-2021 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

My two cents, if i had the desire to put a camera on my spyder, I would mount it, behind the radiatorgrille, only downside I can think of, is that the camera would sit to low. Last summer I saw a ducati driver, with a camera on it's helmet.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

There's nothing wrong with mounting your camera behind the windshield.
    You may find, however, that you'll get better pictures if you mount your camera as high as possible.
    I had a camera mounted behind the windshield, another one on the left mirror.
    Now I mount my camera to my helmet. I find I get more interesting photos since I can turn my head and photograph views on one side or the other.
    Before that. all my photos seemed to look like a double yellow line.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    There's nothing wrong with mounting your camera behind the windshield.
    You may find, however, that you'll get better pictures if you mount your camera as high as possible.
    When I used my GoPro a few years ago to record some of my rides. I had the camera mounted just above the headlights on a rotating mount so I could catch videos of the scenery along the road. What I ended up with was a majority of the videos showing the boring road straight ahead, or the scenery in the top half of the frame. The lower half of the frame showed a good view of concrete barriers or guardrails.

The best setup is what Pierre (SpyderTV.net) uses, or what Martin the Vlogger (https://www.martinthevlogger.com/) has. Both are pedestal mounted up high behind the driver. They're up high and can pan the scenery. You'll have to search their stuff to find images showing the mounts.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Ive got a Sena 10c on my helmet and when the windshield is fully up sometimes the camera is looking thru the shield and there is no problem at all.Even when the shield is a little dirty it still doesnt make much difference.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Behind the windshield is just as good as in front.

"too blurry in rain," It will be too blurry in front of as well as behind the shield.
    "reflected light during night riding," Depends on the camera.
    "contending with bug gizzards obstructing the view," Bugs can hit the camera just as easily as the shindshield.
    "dust buildup behind and in front of the windshield," Whether in front of or behind, dust gets everywhere.
    "Windshield shake affecting the image quality," What shake? My windshield doesn't shake.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the responses.

I ended up going the same way as EdMat, though my cameras aren't as discreet as his.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White