Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Correct tire size for 2020+ RT on 16" wheels?

Thinking about upgrading to a set of 16" PPAs. Less sidewall = slightly rougher ride = better handling. I'm not riding cross country so I can deal with a slightly rougher ride. I ride aggressively so I want better handling. FWIW, I happen to like the OEM wheels. If I don't go with 16" wheels, I'll just mount Q5s on my stock wheels.

What size 16" tires are recommended? I'd prefer Q5s, if possible.

Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Thinking about upgrading to a set of 16" PPAs. Less sidewall = slightly rougher ride = better handling. I'm not riding cross country so I can deal with a slightly rougher ride. I ride aggressively so I want better handling. FWIW, I happen to like the OEM wheels. If I don't go with 16" wheels, I'll just mount Q5s on my stock wheels.

What size 16" tires are recommended? I'd prefer Q5s, if possible.

Thanks.
    IMHO, sticking with OEM wheels and getting the Q-5's are the wisest, best option ..... even if I were racing a Spyder professionally - for Money .... 16" wheels and tires would be last on my list of things to consider as an improvement ...... Say Peter - what say you ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Swaybar upgrade, car tires and shocks will get you where you wanna be. Bigger wheels are just going to create more unsprung weight. Spyders already have low profile tires..you justneed better ones. I have all of the above done on my spyder and it handles a lot better, faster, smoother than stock. A stock spyder would probably crash trying to keep up or their nanny would charge OT..granted I have an F3S.

Car tires (Federal 595evo)the pushing /plowing effect in corners and let the byke rotate
    Swaybar (Baja Ron) flattened out the handling in high speed corners and quick lane changes on the highway
    Shock upgrade (M2)- allowed a more comtrolled chassis for every instance above and pushed the handling limits further out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Going to my local tire shop with Q5s when the time comes. Not sure how I will handle the rear. See if the local tire shop will do it.

Spyder Garage

PPA recommends a 165/50R16 tire for their 16" wheels. Few sizes available, but they use a Federal Formoza. Other sizes are:
    https://www.tires-easy.com/165-50-16...irecode/986J6A
    https://www.amazon.com/Achilles-ATR-...omotive&sr=1-2
    https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/165-50-16

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

My 2021 RTL handles so much better than my former 2018 RTL that I don't think a sway bar is necessary. Going to the Q-5' as soon as possible, just cause I've never liked the stock K's. Lovin' this ride. Looking forward to some nice overnighters as soon as temps warm up and virus goes away.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    My 2021 RTL handles so much better than my former 2018 RTL that I don't think a sway bar is necessary. Going to the Q-5' as soon as possible, just cause I've never liked the stock K's. Lovin' this ride. Looking forward to some nice overnighters as soon as temps warm up and virus goes away.
    You will really Looooooooooooove those Q-5's..... Peter and I recommend 16-17 psi for fronts .... this gives the best traction ( wet or dry ) and comfort. ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, all. Guess I'll stick with the stock 15" wheels (I like the look). I already have a BajaRon sway bar and I have no intention of spending $1500+ on aftermarket shocks.

Without c/p'ing various posts, I don't believe in old tires, either. Five years from born on date is long enough although I don't expect any of my tires will last that long, car tires or OEMs. I'm going to see if I can get a pair of tires from a local place so I can look at the born on date before I take them. I'd hate to mount new tires that are already a couple of years old.

Hope I can get these swapped out in the next month or 2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Going to my local tire shop with Q5s when the time comes. Not sure how I will handle the rear. See if the local tire shop will do it.
    Les Schwab's (west coast chain) mounted all three of mine, and road-force balanced the front. I used 4oz. of beads in the rear, even though I probably didn't need them. The rear hub (2020 one piece wheel) did not present a problem.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You will really Looooooooooooove those Q-5's..... Peter and I recommend 16-17 psi for fronts .... this gives the best traction ( wet or dry ) and comfort. ...... Mike
    I've got ~500 miles on my front Q-5s and the wear pattern on the Nubies indicates high pressure. I've been running them at 17 psi. Can't tell anything about the rear Kumho Ecsta P31, but it's been at 20 psi.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Thanks, all. Guess I'll stick with the stock 15" wheels (I like the look). I already have a BajaRon sway bar and I have no intention of spending $1500+ on aftermarket shocks.

Without c/p'ing various posts, I don't believe in old tires, either. Five years from born on date is long enough although I don't expect any of my tires will last that long, car tires or OEMs. I'm going to see if I can get a pair of tires from a local place so I can look at the born on date before I take them. I'd hate to mount new tires that are already a couple of years old.

Hope I can get these swapped out in the next month or 2.
    I have seen tires from TIRERACK sold as " old stock ", ( dated 1 yr old ) but not often. ... the major retailers don't /won't sell older stock because they don't keep them that long before selling.... The last Vredestein's I bought were 2 mo. old ... small sellers are more likely to have older tires, because small sellers do it as a courtesy and or sideline ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I've got ~500 miles on my front Q-5s and the wear pattern on the Nubies indicates high pressure. I've been running them at 17 psi. Can't tell anything about the rear Kumho Ecsta P31, but it's been at 20 psi.
    I'm not sure I understand what you meant ???? ... The Kumho is an OK tire and would work better at 18 psi. .... 17 psi for a Q-5 is better if you ride aggressive - otherwise 16 is best, it will give a bit more comfort ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you meant ???? ... The Kumho is an OK tire and would work better at 18 psi. .... 17 psi for a Q-5 is better if you ride aggressive - otherwise 16 is best, it will give a bit more comfort ..... Mike
    The nubies (rubber mold remnants, whiskers) disappeared in the center of the tire and not on the edges. They're like super sensitive wear indicators. On the Kumho, they were all gone in the first 90 miles, so no inflation related wear info was available.

The Kumho is the Ecsta P31, 205/55R15 -- not the more commonly used AST.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

The PPA 15" wheel is 5.5" wide, versus the OEM width of 5". This will help reduce sidewall flex. Really like the way my F3S handles with the PPA's.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    The PPA 15" wheel is 5.5" wide, versus the OEM width of 5". This will help reduce sidewall flex. Really like the way my F3S handles with the PPA's.
    ........... but imho the difference is going to Miniscule ..... it would take some very, very sensitive electronic devices to tell you how much it is ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Please help me. Very new here. What do you mean Q5?

Spyder Garage

Vredestein Q5 front tires--these are some of the replacement auto tires many put on the front of their spyder. There are others too. The OEM Kenda tires are not good tires .
    Many spyder owners on here replace them with good brand automobile tires when they wear out and some before the wear out.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bottomline2000 View Post
    Swaybar upgrade, car tires and shocks will get you where you wanna be. Bigger wheels are just going to create more unsprung weight. Spyders already have low profile tires..you justneed better ones. I have all of the above done on my spyder and it handles a lot better, faster, smoother than stock. A stock spyder would probably crash trying to keep up or their nanny would charge OT..granted I have an F3S.

Car tires (Federal 595evo)the pushing /plowing effect in corners and let the byke rotate
    Swaybar (Baja Ron) flattened out the handling in high speed corners and quick lane changes on the highway
    Shock upgrade (M2)- allowed a more comtrolled chassis for every instance above and pushed the handling limits further out.
    I upgraded the same products at Spyderpops on my 2020 Spyder RT . The ride and handling around curves and corners is unbelievably fantastic. If you like to ride it hard, this is the first thing you should do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Q5s will go on in the spring. Tires age poorly and since I don't ride as aggressively in winter (even in mild NC winters), I'll wait til spring so I can get the most use out of them. I don't ride in the snow (although I know some who do) and avoid rain, if possible. Still not going to drop $1500 on new shocks. That's a heap of money. Not saying it wouldn't improve the handling but not in my budget any time soon. Maybe on the next RT in a few years.