Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A Christmas Miracle???

A little background. Due to age and lack of a riding buddy ( which is necessary ) I gave up snowmobiling four years ago. So I decided to keep fit by resuming my downhill skiing, which I gave up 25 years ago. Two years ago ( after buying new boots & ski's ) I bought a season ski pass ( I know - very optimistic ) ... then skied 68 days .... last season ( 19-20 ) got 55 days in because season was stopped mid-march due to Covid ... Because of NO SNOW they opened on Dec. 9th for all pass owners ..... so I went - first run near the bottom of hill I fell badly twisting Both knee's .... was able to make it down the hill and to my car .... Knee's didn't feel good, but could manage .... until 3am .... Pain was severe .... took more Tylenol .... 8am called Doctor and was able to get them x-rayed ..... luckily neither Acl or Mcl got torn .... however both were stretched beyond normal .... appt. made for Sports Med. therapist ..... two weeks and two visits later, I decided to give it a try ... went to Newbie slope ( has a moving sidewalk ) .... went down and felt no pain .... went to Intermediate chair / slopes .... did 7 runs, without falling and no pain ..... next day - did 8 runs but did fall once and didn't do any damage .... Today was warm ( and mushy ) so I stayes home. .... My Pass is not good during Christmas holiday's, so my next day will be Jan 2nd. ... It will take awhile to get back in form .... But I'm just Thankful I will have a Ski season ..... A Christmas Miracle .......... Merry Christmas to All ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Congrats Mike, on having such a resilient body at your (our) age! I'm 74, and in pretty good shape; but some things I do just seem to take more time and energy now.
    I tried skiing back in the 70's, but never got the hang of it. It was always way more work than it was worth to me. I'll stick to my Spyder, E-bicycle, and hot rod Ford pick up for now.
    Have a great Christmas and New Year Holiday.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Praise God!

Spyder Garage

I was a skier in the 50s and 60s. Had wretched equipment compared to today. Couldn't afford to upgrade and stopped skiing. Got busy with family and never resumed. Too bad, cuz our ski areas are only 50 miles from my house - just a bit more than an hour's drive.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Mike,

Glad you're okay. But, take this for what it's worth, x-rays are to determine if a bone is fractured or broken or deformed due to arthritis. Soft tissues like ligaments would require an MRI to determine damage to the ACL and MCL. Some Sports drs. are pretty good with different physical tests to actually determine if there is a tear, without an MRI.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    A little background. Due to age and lack of a riding buddy ( which is necessary ) I gave up snowmobiling four years ago. So I decided to keep fit by resuming my downhill skiing, which I gave up 25 years ago. Two years ago ( after buying new boots & ski's ) I bought a season ski pass ( I know - very optimistic ) ... then skied 68 days .... last season ( 19-20 ) got 55 days in because season was stopped mid-march due to Covid ... Because of NO SNOW they opened on Dec. 9th for all pass owners ..... so I went - first run near the bottom of hill I fell badly twisting Both knee's .... was able to make it down the hill and to my car .... Knee's didn't feel good, but could manage .... until 3am .... Pain was severe .... took more Tylenol .... 8am called Doctor and was able to get them x-rayed ..... luckily neither Acl or Mcl got torn .... however both were stretched beyond normal .... appt. made for Sports Med. therapist ..... two weeks and two visits later, I decided to give it a try ... went to Newbie slope ( has a moving sidewalk ) .... went down and felt no pain .... went to Intermediate chair / slopes .... did 7 runs, without falling and no pain ..... next day - did 8 runs but did fall once and didn't do any damage .... Today was warm ( and mushy ) so I stayes home. .... My Pass is not good during Christmas holiday's, so my next day will be Jan 2nd. ... It will take awhile to get back in form .... But I'm just Thankful I will have a Ski season ..... A Christmas Miracle .......... Merry Christmas to All ..... Mike
    Mike, I've never heard of someone doing downhill skiing to 'keep fit'. Winter athletes I know will get fit before doing downhill skiing. Nordic skiing for exercise I can understand, but downhill? You have been lucky so far, but don't push it, my friend.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I was a skier in the 50s and 60s. Had wretched equipment compared to today. Couldn't afford to upgrade and stopped skiing. Got busy with family and never resumed. Too bad, cuz our ski areas are only 50 miles from my house - just a bit more than an hour's drive.
    .... My pass covers two separate area's, so my drive is either 8.5, or 12 miles ....... I began in 68, and the newer equipment is light years away from what I started with. .... The shaped ski's of today turn if you even think of the word TURN ... the only reason I'm able to be skiing so soon after the injuries are my Shaped ski's. It takes Zero effort to initiate a turn. ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Mike,

Glad you're okay. But, take this for what it's worth, x-rays are to determine if a bone is fractured or broken or deformed due to arthritis. Soft tissues like ligaments would require an MRI to determine damage to the ACL and MCL. Some Sports drs. are pretty good with different physical tests to actually determine if there is a tear, without an MRI.
    , that's what I thought, but I didn't question it ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike, Glad your ok, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Dale

Spyder Garage

Mike....Because skis were so long then - up to your most vertical reach - they were very hard to do turns in. One had to have strong legs. To add to the mix, boots were terrible and so were bindings. You really had to toss your weight around to turn. No wonder I quit.
    Re UtahPete's comment about getting fit prior; skiing back in the 50s gave you muscles you never knew you had. I ride my Spyder as exercise. Using my legs and arms as I do has strengthened them. So I ride to get fit. I do ride quite aggressively when there's no passenger. WAHOO!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Mike, after 30 years of ski patrol at Jay Peak, the best advise that I can give you--besides don't quit--is to pick your days and Enjoy each one !
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Utah,

If you followed his (Mike's) post from a few years ago, he's progressed himself and knows his limitations. It's not like he just started on the hardest slope. We all have good and bad days no matter what we do. I've been working out for years at the gym, and every now and then I get hurt. Does that mean I get hurt due to my age? I ran into too many people as a physical therapist that were of the attitude that as you got older you should do less and less. I push right to the edge when I'm working out.

RICZ,

You mention your arms and legs getting stronger riding your spyder. I can believe that because that's based on your base line. Riding my spyder didn't do anything for my arms and legs. It did increase my reflexes (hand, eye and leg movement/coordination) in response to distracted drivers.

Sorry Mike,

I was just responding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjp623 View Post
    Mike, after 30 years of ski patrol at Jay Peak, the best advise that I can give you--besides don't quit--is to pick your days and Enjoy each one !
    Jay Peak ... I've skied there a few times and loooooooooooooooooooooooved it.... great Glades sking .... but it is over an hours drive & would have to purchase a day ticket ( I paid $139.00 for my season pass @ Sugarbush ) and about pick your days .... I was going to go today ( Thurs. ) but it had already warmed to 38 F ... and that makes for wet / heavy snow so I passed on going .... heavy snow was what caused my accident .... Merry Christmas .... Mike PS, do you know " Adrienne " He has a Spyder and lives up in Fairfax.

Spyder Garage

Happy that you are ok, Mike! Hope you get more time on the mountains soon... with 'good' snow.

Love looking at snow but usually don't want to be out in it. However, hubby is recovering from a November double bypass heart surgery (doing well) so I ran our snow blower. Now I want more snow so I can run the 'beast' again. It was fun!

Merry Christmas!
    Gina J

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Ride View Post
    Happy that you are ok, Mike! Hope you get more time on the mountains soon... with 'good' snow.

Love looking at snow but usually don't want to be out in it. However, hubby is recovering from a November double bypass heart surgery (doing well) so I ran our snow blower. Now I want more snow so I can run the 'beast' again. It was fun!

Merry Christmas!
    Gina J
    Thank you ..... sending 's for a complete recovery .... my 11 year old sno-blower died near the end of last winter .... luckily at the end of March they are all on sale .... so I went bigtime and bought an Ariens " EFI " 32 incher .... power steering, heated grips, better gas mileage , throws 50 + feet. ..... good luck ....Merry Christmas .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default A Christmas Miracle???

Mike,

Glad to hear it wasn't anything too serious. Enjoy your skiing, stay safe and a very merry Christmas to you my friend

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White