Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Parking Brake will not Disengage

I found a Technical Service Bulletin from Can Am pertaining to 2018 & 2019 F3 and RT Parking Brakes that may take several attempts to disengage....an issue many have discovered.
    Under warranty, have your dealer refer to TSB Bulletin 2019-9. Issued April 16, 2020.
    Just some info to absorb.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had that problem a year ago last summer, at 73K miles. The electronic module that controls the motors for both the parking brake and the windshield lifter, failed and had to be replaced. My RPM1 warranty fully paid for the repair AND the tow!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

My break locked up on my 2014 RT around 50K miles. My mechanic told me how to disengage it manually (with tools), and I was able to ride it (and park it, usually with a rock behind or in front of a wheel) until I took it in.
    Not entirely on point, but worth mentioning.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

i had the parking brake lock up. and after all the research and the fact i dont have a warranty i decided to fix it myself. I found that with the parking brake actuator removed from the caliper the motor and cable seemed to work fine. i found that in most cases the dlr replaced the motor. I reasoned that the motor might becoming weaker and losing the ability to overcome the friction caused by the actuator. I made the parking brake operating cable 1/2 inch longer. Its been 3 months with no problems and parking brake works Great.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Like Honsfun, I also had the parking brake not release on my 15 RT a couple of years ago in the Walmart parking lot. I loosened the cable adjusting nuts and unhooked the cable to release the brake and get home to the garage. While the motor is encased in a plastic housing and not easily accessable to lube or service, I did clean and lube the cable ends and used cable lube into the tube from the top end.

After readjusting the tension on the barrel nuts by the caliper, I haven't had had any issues for the last couple years and 30,000 miles or so.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Is it possible to post the text of the bulletin?
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default parking brake not releasing

need to find more on TSB 2019-9 for help fixing my 2018 spyder RT limited

Spyder Garage

In a nut shell it seems that people have had bad luck with ether the motor assembly and or the switch!! Make sure to check all your wire connections, grounds and fuses!! Good luck, electrical problems suck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I will look for more. Appears that maybe the factory specs for adjust work a little better if you leave a bit of free play.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ng+brake+stuck
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-03-2021 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Fixed link to here. :-(
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I had to have the parking brake motor assembly replaced at about 3K miles. When I picked the Spyder up from the dealer, the tech who did the work showed me the whole assembly that he replaced (it is a self contained unit) and also told me that he had replaced quite a number of them. Then he told me why. It seems that BRP, in their infinite wisdom, decided that the two gears that drive the motor and turn the big plastic wheel to engage/release the brake should be two different materials, one is plastic, and one is metal. Guess which one eventually gets the teeth ground off? If you said "the plastic one" you're a winner. The tech wasn't too happy with the design, and warned me that it is a fairly common problem, and I might have to replace it again. I now have 11K miles, and it is still working, but I carry those two 12mm wrenches with me in case it does fail so that I can disconnect the cable and not be stuck someplace with a parking brake that won't release.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
    Is it possible to post the text of the bulletin?
    1 2018 Can-am Spyder Rt service brakes, hydraulic TSB (Bulletin Bulletin 2019-9)
    Bulletin Date: Apr. 16, 2020
    Component: Service brakes, hydraulic.
    Bulletin Summary: Warranty bulletin spyder rt and f3 - the parking brake may not disengage. On some vehicles, it may take several attempts to disengage the parking brake. In some cases, it may not be possible to disengage brake at all.
    Vehicles covered in this TSB:
    2018 Can-am Spyder F3, 2019 Can-am Spyder F3, 2018 Can-am Spyder Rt, 2019 Can-am Spyder Rt.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-03-2021 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I had same issue with parking brake stuck on. I moved my spyder Rt 2018 outside, shut it off to go get my helmet and went to go for a rip and parking brake would not come off, Bike has 13000kms on it. Call 2 dealers and 1 said to bring it in. Other guy was pretty helpful and said like someone else to disengage to loosen off the nut and move the brake cable on rear wheel and the brake will come off, which it did. Still doesn't fix the problem as dealer is 1-2 hrs away. After much research, I decided to give it 1 more try and I came across by accident a fix to release the brake. Now it may or may not fix everyone's problem but worked for me, until it happens again then it will be a dealer problem. What I did was turn bike on and press brake button so it is off. Turn off bike while holding brake button with the alarm sounding. Once the alarm goes off, restart bike and the flashing brake light is off. Engage brake button on and off several times. If it works then problem solved. I think what it does is resets the computer for brake, hope it helps someone out as it worked for me.

Spyder Garage

I had the same thing happen on my wife's 2019 F3 base model. It had set for over a month and the brake wouldn't release. I put it on the battery maintainer overnight. Problem was solved.