Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default To trailer, or not to trailer? That is the question. I'm downright torn.

Hey Y'all,

We've had our 2020 RTL since October of last year. We are absolutely loving it so far! We are now tossing around the idea of buying a pull behind trailer, with the idea that it will give my wife more room for storing stuff that she might buy while we're travelling. Also, It will allow the bike to not be as loaded up with weight directly on it. I don't know, it just intrigues us quite a bit to try a trailer.

Here's the deal though. I have some concerns that it's gonna considerably alter the riding experience because i picture in my mind that it will affect cornering speeds quite a bit, and i wonder if I'll constantly feel it back there, especially in twisties and such. And, does it affect the take off and stopping rates that much?

The problem with making the decision to buy a trailer is you can't just go out and try a trailer before you buy it. It's an expensive proposition to buy and install the hitch, the wiring harness, and the trailer, then only to find out you don't like it.

Several folks have told me to buy the RT622 trailer instead of the Freedom trailer. Maybe about it being built more sturdy or something? Not sure.

We have ridden 2 wheelers for decades, and have never pulled a trailer. Now that we have transitioned to 3 wheels, the trailer is being discussed more and more in our house. I'm interested in the wisdom and ideas you folks could give to help me with this decision.

I'm all ears.

Big Lenny

Spyder Garage

I love my trailer . As long as I am going forwards.
    At times I have found it easier to disconnect it and push it if I want to back up.

My '08 GS handles just the same with it on. The only time I have felt its presence was going down a steepish curvy road when the front brakes started to judder, so I slowed down.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have the Freedom trailer, use it quite a bit. Have towed it on a 4 hour trip pretty loaded (not above max. rating) quite a few times. This is with the wife on the back of the Spyder. Love it, hardly know it's there.
    Does it influence braking, yes but not a lot. Just plan ahead and keep some space to be safe. Have never had an issue. To me cornering is no big issue with the trailer. We now do multiple over nights with all we want with us. Good luck and do seek additional comments.
    Backing it up is interesting but you'll get the hang of it. We hesitated prior to purchase but do not regret it at all.

Spyder Garage

If you have ridden two wheelers for decades and never towed a trailer, this bloke has to assume your wife made the appropriate adjustments to her purchasing routine to accommodate the carrying capacities of the motorcycles. Therefore, the simple action IMO is to tell her a third wheel is no excuse to change her buying habits.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if you can find a 622 get it and dont look back the two lids make it much easier wife pulls hers no complaints

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    if you can find a 622 get it and dont look back the two lids make it much easier wife pulls hers no complaints
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    We have the Freedom trailer, use it quite a bit. Have towed it on a 4 hour trip pretty loaded (not above max. rating) quite a few times. This is with the wife on the back of the Spyder. Love it, hardly know it's there.
    Does it influence braking, yes but not a lot. Just plan ahead and keep some space to be safe. Have never had an issue. To me cornering is no big issue with the trailer. We now do multiple over nights with all we want with us. Good luck and do seek additional comments.
    Backing it up is interesting but you'll get the hang of it. We hesitated prior to purchase but do not regret it at all.
    makes touring 2-up much more pleasant. The Freedom is smaller and lighter than the RT-622 I believe. You don't have to get a Can-Am trailer; there are plenty of other motorcycle trailer options out there that will work just fine.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 RT and a Lumina type box shaped trailer vs the 622 or Freedom, could not find either in my bike's color.

The cost was better also. We have made a few long trips and you can't tell we are pulling the trailer. I have to check the mirrors to be sure it's still there. Stopping is really not a problem either.

Buy what you can find and afford. Ride safe.

Dave

Spyder Garage

I had a 2014 RTL with matching RT622 trailer. I did 3 different trips of 3,000 to 5,000 miles each towing. First of all, do not get a trailer with a cooler on the tongue. Spyders have hitches that are un-sprung. That means everything your rear tire feels transfers to the trailer tongue. Anything in a tongue cooler will be a mess.

Expect to loose about 3 MPG towing. However, when traveling the trailer is almost not noticeable. The only times I knew it was there was when passing. I had to allow a little extra room. And you also need to allow a little extra room when stopping. Just common sense. Nothing different than towing anything behind a car. Pretty much didn't know it was there in the twisties except when going up steep hills. Required gearing down more often.

Your RT has a 400 lb. towing maximum. Some have towed more without problems but I always kept mine at about 350 or less. The RT622 weighs 50 pounds more than the Freedom so, even though it is physically larger, it can not accommodate as much cargo before getting to your 400 pound maximum. But, you will be surprised just how much stuff you can accumulate before you reach 100 pounds.

Tongue weight is critical for good handling. I found the best weight to be 18-22 pounds regardless of amount of cargo. I used a fish scale that helped me to make sure everything was loaded to have the right tongue weight.

I know what you're feeling about committing to the expense of trailering without knowing if it will be OK for you. The best I can tell you is that it adds to your traveling versatility with very minimal down sides. And besides, a Spyder touring with a trailer looks WAY COOL!!!!! Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Go for it. And there are several other trailers besides the Can-Am versions that you might want to consider.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Wife pulls a Aluma MCTXL with her 2017 F3L, no problems at all.
    2017 TriGlide

2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Purple/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

theres a nice 622 for sale on here be a nice weekend trip to pick it up

Spyder Garage

Everybody is correct in saying that when pulling a trailer you don't know its even back there. I pulled a trailer from Arkansas to California on a trip out west back in 2017 with a 2015 RTS and the Spyder have no problems. I wasn't pulling a 622 but a Aluma Trailer. Covered 9300 miles on that trip.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

We pulled a Uni-go behind the Goldwing. Never felt it while riding forward. Advantage to the little trailer was that we rolled it into the room which made packing, parking, and security easier. I advise that whatever you get, have her pack it in the garage the night before you leave. Then sneak in and remove at least half of it! Before we got the trailer she would ask what she could do with souvenirs. I said any place worth buying them will ship them home for us!
    We will continue pulling the Unigo behind the RTL.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I had a 2014 RTL with matching RT622 trailer. I did 3 different trips of 3,000 to 5,000 miles each towing. First of all, do not get a trailer with a cooler on the tongue. Spyders have hitches that are un-sprung. That means everything your rear tire feels transfers to the trailer tongue. Anything in a tongue cooler will be a mess.

Expect to loose about 3 MPG towing. However, when traveling the trailer is almost not noticeable. The only times I knew it was there was when passing. I had to allow a little extra room. And you also need to allow a little extra room when stopping. Just common sense. Nothing different than towing anything behind a car. Pretty much didn't know it was there in the twisties except when going up steep hills. Required gearing down more often.

Your RT has a 400 lb. towing maximum. Some have towed more without problems but I always kept mine at about 350 or less. The RT622 weighs 50 pounds more than the Freedom so, even though it is physically larger, it can not accommodate as much cargo before getting to your 400 pound maximum. But, you will be surprised just how much stuff you can accumulate before you reach 100 pounds.

Tongue weight is critical for good handling. I found the best weight to be 18-22 pounds regardless of amount of cargo. I used a fish scale that helped me to make sure everything was loaded to have the right tongue weight.

I know what you're feeling about committing to the expense of trailering without knowing if it will be OK for you. The best I can tell you is that it adds to your traveling versatility with very minimal down sides. And besides, a Spyder touring with a trailer looks WAY COOL!!!!! Good luck..... Jim
    Well said,

My trailer was the best accessory I purchased, it was costly and I was hesitant, but it has paid off. The extra space for clothing, jackets, boots/shoes and shopping is worth it when riding two up.

We went on our first Spyder overnight group ride and my wife said we are getting a trailer after seeing the space that it offered (who am I to argue). I shopped around for a good deal (in 2012) and the rest is history. I have used my trailer with 3 different Spyders.

If you get one you will not regret it.

To answer your question, TRAILER
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put a cooler rack on my 622 and yep it did get shaking up , but you dont put delicate items or carbonated drinks it works well. It worked great for water and lunch items.

Plus I put a swivel hitch on my 622. I didnt even know I was pulling a trailer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I put a cooler rack on my 622 and yep it did get shaking up , but you dont put delicate items or carbonated drinks it works well. It worked great for water and lunch items. Plus I put a swivel hitch on my 622. I didnt even know I was pulling a trailer.
    Note to OP; swivel hitch not needed with Spyder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personal choice.

Spyder Garage

Check this one out -

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-white-Trailer

Oh, and they do take paint pretty well too; or if you don't want to go that far, you could talk to one of the Vinyl Wrap places about their trailer wraps (try https://wrapmyspyder.com/vinyl-category/trailer/ ) so you can easily have pretty much any colour scheme you want, or even match your trailer to your Spyder if that's your bent.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

You'll never regret buying a trailer. I've been pulling one for eight years and have many, many thousands of miles pulling it. I just got back from a 7200 mile trip and I pulled it all but maybe one mile. You don't even know it's back there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have pulled trailers with two-wheelers since 1978. Most have already stated, but I will repeat, when loaded properly, you will hardly know they are there. I have not pulled a trailer with a three-wheeler, but I would presume that they are less-affected by a trailer than a two-wheeler.

The only way a trailer is going to affect your speed in the twisties is if you hit something with the inside wheel and flip the trailer. But you probably hit that with the Spyder's front wheel, too, so the trailer will just follow you over.

When we were a LOT younger (back in the 70s and 80s), we did a lot of camping, so the trailer handled all of that gear. Our personal 'stuff' was in the saddlebags and trunk on the bike, pretty much like it would be on a non-camping trip.

When you get your trailer, be aware of one of your largest dangers. THE GAS PUMP.
    Remember that the trailer 'cheats' the corner, so you need to pull farther forward before turning, or you WILL hit that pole at the end of the island. It's a rather rude awakening when the trailer hits the pole and you stop. NOW.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I have had an RT622 Trailer and now have a Freedom Trailer. I like the Freedom Trailer better because if you damage any part of the sides, front or back you can unscrew the outer panel and replace it vs. taking it to a body shop for repair. Several people have said that the Freedom Trailers are plastic and the RT622 is fiberglass. That is a completely wrong statement, or I got lucky and got a Freedom Trailer that is fiberglass Either way stick with the Can Am Trailer which every you choose, because they trailer a lot better than an aftermarket trailer.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Pull your trailer. It is so nice to not have to find a place on the bike for Everything. I carry a lot of extra but necessary stuff that the trailer just swallows with no problem. I would agree with the no cooler on the tow bar. I do put a small cooler in the trailer itself and it seems to ride well. My trailer is an old (1995) Hannigan Europa I and it tows like a dream. I did not notice any drawbacks in towing it on the trip to Deadwood for the 3 wheeler rally, a 2 mpg mileage penalty, and a slight increase in braking distance. It never hindered my ability to drive the wonderful roads of the Black Hills.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

We have an Americade trailer and it's great. Can't tell it's there with lots more storage, backing up is just like any other trailer. You do need to allow more room for stopping since the trailers don't have brakes. We have been to Kitty hawk, Wilmington, NC and next month St. Augustine, FL. Wouldn't travel without it. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

I have never pulled a trailer behind a motorcycle. But I used to ride with Lamont all the time, and he did. He never had any trouble keeping up. And he never mentioned any downside to it. My recommendation is to get a quality trailer specifically designed for a motorcycle. My feeling is that the small tire home-builts could have some negative effect that I would not want to deal with. Not disparaging those who have gone this route. Like I said, never pulled a trailer behind a motorcycle. But I have pulled a good number of trailers over the years. And if they are not set up for the load, vehicle, etc., they can definitely give you a negative experience. And small diameter tires are always invitation to issues.

I'd go for it. The pluses far outweigh any minuses you might encounter.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...