Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Front Pulley R&R - can it be done without loosening belt tension?

Question for someone with experience doing this:

Can the Front Pulley be removed and installed without loosening belt tension?
    Shop manual labor is .5 hour for this proceedure. Wondering if there is a short cut to arrive in completing this operation in .5/hour.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-23-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

No problem, Jack up the rear wheel till tension is off the lower shock bolt, remove the bolt, raise the Jack till the belt is loose enough to remove from front sprocket. Retourqe the front sprocket bolt when finished.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    No problem, Jack up the rear wheel till tension is off the lower shock bolt, remove the bolt, raise the Jack till the belt is loose enough to remove from front sprocket. Retourqe the front sprocket bolt when finished.
    Excellent
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Here's how I did it just a short while back.....
    With the bike on the floor and the the parking brake set, loosen the front pulley bolt.
    Release the parking brake.
    Then lift the rear wheel off the floor just enough so you can rotate it as you walk the belt off the rear pulley.
    When done with the front pulley, reverse the process to walk the belt back onto the rear pulley.
    Lower the bike, set the park brake, torque the front pulley bolt and you're done.
    P.S. Lube the splines with Moly Paste - not Moly lube.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Here's how I did it just a short while back.....
    With the bike on the floor and the the parking brake set, loosen the front pulley bolt.
    Release the parking brake.
    Then lift the rear wheel off the floor just enough so you can rotate it as you walk the belt off the rear pulley.
    When done with the front pulley, reverse the process to walk the belt back onto the rear pulley.
    Lower the bike, set the park brake, torque the front pulley bolt and you're done.
    P.S. Lube the splines with Moly Paste - not Moly lube.
    All the important details; succinct. I especially like the belt on, brake on, on the ground tightening part -- minimize stress on transmission.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

�� Ordered new pulley and bolt....I have a 2019 F3L built in 2018. Figured that a newer design pulley and higher bolt torque should resolve any future issues......I believe in preventative maintenance. Red dust is starting to show. My trips pulling a trailer are in excess of 1k.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you mean you werent having any problems no rust dust

Spyder Garage

I retorqued my 2015 at 10,000 miles and now have 21,000 and no problem- I have a spockett and bolt ready .

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, red dust is starting to show.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Yes, red dust is starting to show.
    If there is evidence of red dust, the pulley splines have worn. The pulley should be replaced or if reusing, accomplish the LocTite method for reinstallation. If replacing a worn pulley with a new pulley, reassembled wet with Moly Lube or Moly Paste, not Moly based grease.

Regarding walking the drive belt off the pulley, before accomplishing this, realize that the Spyder uses a carbon fibre type belt and not a Kevlar or other more flexible fibre type belt. Manufacturers are very specific about not walking the tensioned belt off the pulley as fibre damage may occur, rendering the belt as scrap or inducing early failure. Far better to remove the shock bolt if you are set up to do so.

Consider also to lubricate the bolt flange with Moly. While many have posted the increased torque is in reference to better securing the pulley, I differ on this opinion. I suspect that when comparing the early style 2 piece bolt / washer setup to the current large flange bolt, the added friction of the large flanges drag when tightening must be overcome by a higher setting on the torque wrench, otherwise the torque would be erroneously low. Lubricate the bolt flange and use a quality torque wrench. Even consider dropping the torque setting by 5% to account for the reduced drag when torquing.

All the best however you resolve your worn pulley / red dust concerns.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe most manufacturers of timing/cogged belts recommend against "walking" the belt off mainly when the pully
    has a flange. Neither pulley on the Spyder has a flange, so it really shouldn't be an issue. Done carefully, it shouldn't
    be a problem.

Personally I would loosen the the tension, because it may change due to new pulley vs old pulley. Not that big of a
    deal, and it would need to be checked anyway, even if you didn't loosen the tension.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I believe most manufacturers of timing/cogged belts recommend against "walking" the belt off mainly when the pully
    has a flange. Neither pulley on the Spyder has a flange, so it really shouldn't be an issue. Done carefully, it shouldn't
    be a problem.

Personally I would loosen the the tension, because it may change due to new pulley vs old pulley. Not that big of a
    deal, and it would need to be checked anyway, even if you didn't loosen the tension.
    Obviously you would have serious concerns walking a tooth belt over a pulley flange.

The concern here is not focused on whether or not the belt can be removed and reinstalled by walking the belt off and on, simply the materials used to make the cords in the belt. Carbon fibre filaments are far less forgiving than other filaments in regards to untypical loads.

The persons endorsing walking the belt off then on have their opinions. Considering the cost of a new belt, plus if the belt fails some distance from home, the risk vs reward of not releasing the tension is up to each person accomplishing the task. Add to this the frugalness of many Spyder owners that post here, the MSRP of cutting corners may not be on sale when you need it.

All the best to BikerChris and Merry Christmas to all of you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shop manual calls for loosening tension of belt when removing......
    Shop manual labor rate shows .5 hour to replace front pulley. Seems low considering what’s involved.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have to ask do you let the bike shift down or do you do it

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Tension on the belt can be adjusted with a KrickitII (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a coupla 36mm wrenches which also work to get the oil filter off.

and a coupla wrenches.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Re my suggestion to walk the belt of the rear pulley....
    I did not realize the belt was not Kevlar reinforced. All my experience with belt drives were with Kevlar belts. Good to learn about the Spyder's belts. Thanks.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

is it hard to get the pulley off . do you need special tool
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

They usually just slip off. Have a new bolt, torque wrench and Moly Paste handy.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

How's your rear tire? Maybe doing that will "release" the belt. I respectfully disagree with PMK. It's rather easy to loosen the tension of the belt with the "belt tensioner" bolts, like one should do when changing the rear tire. Jack up the bike and the belt should just slip off, no walking required. As with steering tie rods, counting turns can make the restoration of the belt tension easier. Just run them back the same number (index them first so you get the proper clock). And BTW, if you have a belt idler, bunjee it up off the belt before you do anything.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I had to use a large 3 jaw gear puller. It was tight all the way to the end . I could not get the pully to budge at all by hand or pry bars..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    How's your rear tire? Maybe doing that will "release" the belt. I respectfully disagree with PMK. It's rather easy to loosen the tension of the belt with the "belt tensioner" bolts, like one should do when changing the rear tire. Jack up the bike and the belt should just slip off, no walking required. As with steering tie rods, counting turns can make the restoration of the belt tension easier. Just run them back the same number (index them first so you get the proper clock). And BTW, if you have a belt idler, bunjee it up off the belt before you do anything.
    It was the lesser of two evils to loosen the belt tension. With the tire up and the tensioners very loose or slack and the main shaft bolt loose, I took a heavy hammer and slammed the rubber of the rear tire forward to take up the tensioner slack.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I had to use a large 3 jaw gear puller. It was tight all the way to the end . I could not get the pully to budge at all by hand or pry bars..
    I also needed a puller to get the pully off. No need to purchase one as most auto parts stores have a free tool rental program. I just went to the closest one. In my case an AutoZone and browed their 3 arm puller.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

By design, the pulley is a slip fit onto the splines. With wear or contamination from particles from the fretting no doubt the pulley can be difficult to remove. The pulley if worn an appreciable amount can also become wedged. But again, by design, it is a slip fit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Absolutely, you can disagree with my previous comment, I have zero issue with that. The method of loosening the axle, and then counting turns on the adjusters is 110% logical in theory. Enough so that as an early Spyder owner I used this method several times. Unfortunately, the method of counting turns on the adjusters comes up short on realigning the belt based on the requirement to tighten the axle. Can Am / BRP designed one of the worst axle alignment / tensioning setups I have ever had to deal with on a motorcycle. They use cast aluminum two piece axle holders. These split style holders are inserted into the swingarms box tube structure. By design, they are a loose fit. As the axle starts to see feel tension as the nut is tightened, the right side adjuster moves about. Unfortunately, with this happening, and the need for very small incremental adjustments to the right side axle block, in order to obtain correct belt tracking, the likelihood of getting the same position is not good.

Since there is no means to know where the right side adjuster was positioned prior to loosening the axle, you can set the adjuster bolt exactly the same but have belt tracking issues. Then as you work to get the belt tracking correct, each loosening of the axle and subsequent retightening can reposition the adjuster blocks into another position.

So if you plan to loosen the axle, expect to chase your tail a bit to get the belt tracking as it was. The only tip I have, is that of set the tension via the left side adjuster, and the belts tension will hold the axle in position. For the right side adjuster, you need a long block of wood and a BFH. Snug the axle and beat the axle nut forward in hopes of getting it in the same location.

Can Am could have done a much, much better job designing the swingarm and adjusters.

Rattlebars, all the best using the method you link to, I did not watch the video you linked, just my own experience knows only loosen the rear axle if absolutely required.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2019 F3L with 6000 mi. Replaced Front pulley with new robust white pulley.
    6046FBCB-9F1C-483C-AB89-20E006E0B179.jpg
    7CA0BB0F-8A49-439E-A3E7-9DBCC32B5098.jpg
    2ABFB30C-F9CC-40C6-916A-BE08E516321F.jpg

I followed shop manual by backing off belt adjustment screws 4 turns evenly.... allowing belt to be removed.
    Last edited by bikerchris1270; 03-26-2021 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Completed procedure
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue