Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sylblk View Post
    strongly recommend to use an inline fuel filter at the end of vent line, remember that air must enter line as gas level drops in tank or as temperature drops and fuel contracts. spiders and other insects love empty pipes and may nest plugging the vent. fuel pumps are strong enough to collapse tank...no warranty...
    An inline fuel filter would have an open end just as the hose has. Might just need a fine mesh screen material secured to the open end of the hose to keep critters out.

I was thinking about removing the hose from the canister that goes to the valve and inserting a bolt/hose clamp -- and running a new hose from the canister to some place under the bike --- thus leaving the canister in place and the hose from the fuel tank in place as well. Would this be satisfactory, or should I just remove the two hoses from the canister as already suggested?

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpyder View Post
    If we plug the hose and problem is solved. What is the permanent fix for this issue? My dealer is not going to know what to do so going to them is of no use.
    I plugged the valve and the Spyder runs so much better, this will probably be my permanent fix. It has more smoothness all around, more power in 5th gear, etc. Just seems like a different Spyder.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Dittoes on the purge valve fix. Runs great! Thanks to all.
    Happy Owner * 2013 RT Limited, 2009 RS SE-5

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

If you are wanting to replace the Puge Valve, here is the Part Number 709000108 ... My dealer wants 42.49 plus tax and doesn't have one in stock, Maybe 7-15 days to get one. Also I think the price is a bit pricy.

I am going to release the pinched hose from the throttle body and pull the hose from the Evap Can going to the Purge Valve and put a bolt in it.. that would be a better closure as recommened my Lamonster ( Thanks Lamont)

I am still waiting for the update FIX... and it is Sept 15 and almost 2.5 months since the update. Oh well I guess BRP engineers have senior moments as I. It does seem awful strange that as many complaints as BRP has or apparently have received that a fix would be top priority on their list.

Oh well.. Gatlinburg here I come.

Spyder Garage

Default Purge Valve

I decided to take my purge tank off, plug the hose on the tank side of the purge valve, and reroute the tank vent hose. I don't know that I was having any trouble before, but it just seemed like a logical thing to do. Maybe it will save me some problems later.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

I'm curious where everyone is routing the vent hose. I have mine routed across the swingarm and coming out next to the belt guard (below rear foot pegs). Looks kinda silly but it does work.

Spyder Garage

I'm curious where everyone is routing the vent hose. I have mine routed across the swingarm and coming out next to the belt guard (below rear foot pegs). Looks kinda silly but it does work.
    Check my routing up to the rear axle.

Tried to hide the tip behind the rear fender bracket, but due to a storage kink, the hose always jumps out of its hiding place.

Cheers...
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Spyder Garage

Default Vent hose

I actually ran mine forward and came out just to the right bottom side of the radiator. There are some holes already there for the hose to exit and can be secured with zip ties. Seems to work fine. BTW I used a faucet strainer washer with a fine stainless screen on the end of the hose and secured it with silicone rubber.

Michael

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    I actually ran mine forward and came out just to the right bottom side of the radiator. There are some holes already there for the hose to exit and can be secured with zip ties. Seems to work fine. BTW I used a faucet strainer washer with a fine stainless screen on the end of the hose and secured it with silicone rubber.

Michael
    Forward was my solution as well.

No problems or smell.
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Plugged mine

Well after much delibertion I decided to plug mine today too. I havent had nearly as much coughin and spitting as others but there have been a few times especially in stop and go driving (even in cool weather and I shudder to think what it would have bene like if it were hot becasue that seems to make it much worse) where it was a huge issue. I have only driven it a few miles but I CAN feel a difference in the way it is running. With this much evidence obviously there is an issue here and I am suprised there isn't more of a reponse from BRP.

Spyder Garage

Default Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post

Michael
    Mike:

I like your idea of using the faucet strainer, and it seems that I already found use for one (surplus from a recent kitchen revamp) that has been kicked around the house.

Could you post any pics so as to see how did you make that arrangement at the hose tip?

Thanks and regards

Pilo

Spyder Garage

Default Washer

[quote=Pilo;143862]Mike:

I like your idea of using the faucet strainer, and it seems that I already found use for one (surplus from a recent kitchen revamp) that has been kicked around the house.

Could you post any pics so as to see how did you make that arrangement at the hose tip?

Thanks and regards

Pilo[/quote

I must apologize for the poor picture quality, but not a good photography angle, laying on my back. I think you will get the idea, its just the 1/4'' hose end slightly is the washer and sealed with silicone rubber. It seems very sturdy and will surely keep the vermin out.
    Hope this will help.

Michael

Spyder Garage

[quote=BLACK WIDOW;143892]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post

Mike:

Thanks and regards

Pilo[/quote

I must apologize for the poor picture quality, but not a good photography angle, laying on my back. I think you will get the idea, its just the 1/4'' hose end slightly is the washer and sealed with silicone rubber. It seems very sturdy and will surely keep the vermin out.
    Hope this will help.

Michael
    Mike:

I must apologize for making you lie on your back; I thought you had taken some pics during installation.

My strainer is of a different sort, but I am sure that I will come up with something practical and economical.

I think I'll only use one ss screen.

Gracias y saludos, Pilo

Spyder Garage

I would rather route mine in the front like you have done but am a bit concerned about the fuel dripping out while riding and being blown back in the exhaust area. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Spyder Garage

I would rather route mine in the front like you have done but am a bit concerned about the fuel dripping out while riding and being blown back in the exhaust area. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.
    You're being paranoid

There can't be more than a drip or two coming out of that hose which is totaly insignificant while you're riding.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Vent

Quote Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post
    You're being paranoid

There can't be more than a drip or two coming out of that hose which is totaly insignificant while you're riding.

Michael

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks, guys

This mod works!
    Thanks for all the great information presented here on the surge problem. Last week I did the 'fix' - but with all the rain we've been having (17" in a week) I was not able to ride until today. Put about 130 miles on the bike and put it through its paces. Fast - slow - various gears. Could not get the bike to spit/sputter/surge. Runs better than new...

Vent hose is running towards the front, right, side just as Michael has described so well.

don
    Last edited by Don in E Texas; 09-20-2009 at 11:05 AM.
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Just a question.... If the Hose from the Gas Tank is routed to front or back without a pea-trap would it not, gas upon fill up full cause a siffon??

Just curiour.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Just a question.... If the Hose from the Gas Tank is routed to front or back without a pea-trap would it not, gas upon fill up full cause a siffon??

Just curiour.
    Not unless every inch of the gas tank was full. Even then, as soon as the gas was low enough to build a vacuum in the tank, the siphon would stop, since the would be no vent to equalize the pressure.. What you are worried about would only be possible if the vent hose went to the bottom of the tank instead of the top, and the was another vent to atmosphere.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post

Just curiour.
    And there's a roll-over valve there at the top of the tank that plugs the vent line if liquid fuel hits it.
    Even going over bumps with a full tank should not let more than a few drops out of the tank.

Spyder Garage

I plugged the hose coming out of the purge valve going to the canister and then made a short piece of hose with a plug in it and put it where the purge valve line would go on the canister.The fuel tank still vents through the canister to outside air.

Spyder Garage

Default Gas smell...?

Quote Originally Posted by swrafey2000 View Post
    I plugged the hose coming out of the purge valve going to the canister and then made a short piece of hose with a plug in it and put it where the purge valve line would go on the canister.The fuel tank still vents through the canister to outside air.
    The way I see it (and I may be wrong...), you did away with one problem, but the gas smell will continue, unless you get rid of the canister...

I thought about doing exactly what you described, but had second thoughts with regards to the gas smell.

I am going to do the whole 'canisterectomy' on my SE5 shortly.

Saludos, Pilo

Spyder Garage

this fix will work on the RTS too, correct? I have the smell of gas while riding and parked in garage also

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Would any of the aforementioned cause a p1174 code ? Got a 13 St Limited puking this code at me . Checked the MAPS hoses , all good and even did a vacuum test on the disconnected hoses .