Spyder Garage

Spyder Cruise Control Stopped Working - 2020 RTL

I was out on a ride last night with my wife and all of a sudden, the cruise control kicked off and I could not make it come back on. I thought that maybe it would reset or something when I shut down the machine, so I did so when the opportunity came, still, no cruise control. I will be taking it back in to the dealer this week to get it looked at, however, I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem.

Another problem that I think will be resolved is a VSS Fault and then Limp Home mode problem that happens on every ride I have done since purchasing the machine. Finally took the RTL in to another dealership and they eventually (after carrying back a couple times) found the problem. When I apply brakes hard in coming to a fast stop (like at a traffic light), the rear brake lights would go off and the VSS would go off. If it was a slow stop and light pressure was applied to the brakes, the lights would remain on and no fault warning. The dealer will be replacing the brake switch this week and I will be going on another 1500 mile ride over the 1st to try it out.

Since purchasing the RTL 5 months ago, my wife and I have been on a 3,200 mile trip, a 1,500 mile trip, a 600 mile trips and we love to ride, however these little problems just seem to keep coming up. We also notice that going over 70mph, there is a lot of vibration from the unit.

Thanks for any input on the cruise control and stay safe out there.
    2021 S2S , Green

Spyder Garage

Bear in mind that I do not have a clue what is causing your Cruise issue, rsnider, but does your cruise control indicator come on when you first turn on cruise, but you then can’t set it ? If that is the case, I am wondering if your faulty brake switch is making Cruise think you are applying your brakes, which automatically cancels cruise settings?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The brake switch would have everything to do with the cruise not working!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. The light on the panel does not come on at all. Strangest thing is that even though the cruise worked until last night the brake issue has been occurring since the first week I had the Spyder. I now have close to 7000 miles over the last 5 month period on the unit.
    2021 S2S , Green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rsnider1961 View Post
    We also notice that going over 70mph, there is a lot of vibration from the unit.
    That's been a common issue for years. You can try one of 2 things (or both in my case). First, you can loosen the drive belt to around 160-180# using a Kricket device. It may eliminate the problem or it may just move the vibration to a different speed range. If that doesn't work (or you don't want to adjust the belt) you can add a belt tensioner (or as Peter says, a harmonic balance somethingorother). You can get belt tensioners everywhere from Lamonster Garage (where I bought mine), Spyderpops, Slingmods or even directly from BuRP. I chose Lamonster for both my '18 and my '21 partly because he offers a much larger wheel and bearings.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    You can get belt tensioners everywhere from Lamonster Garage (where I bought mine), Spyderpops, Slingmods or even directly from BuRP. I chose Lamonster for both my '18 and my '21 partly because he offers a much larger wheel and bearings.
    Add SmoothSpyder to the list. Ad on the home page. I've had two, first one for about 25,000 miles on my 2013 RT and now over 35,000 miles on my 2014. Nary a problem of any sort with them.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue this fall on a 9000 mile trip. Cruse stopped working and then the Spyder went into limp home mode. Thankfully this happened as I was close to my dealer.
    Buds said I was riding my brake (I wasn't & my wife who was following confirmed no brake light was on). Dealer decided that it then had to be the cruse switch in the handle bar control. They had the switch in stock and replaced it. No issues since.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I had some of the same type of problems on my 2018 F3L. They had to change out the right hand module where your cruise button is located! Once they changed it my cruise worked, but then had to change out the left hand module because they said they had to be paired together because it got where I couldn't put it in reverse! So I have had the left side module changed twice and the right hand side changed once! Now they have both worked find for the last year (I am knocking on wood for continued good luck)! This is probably your problem, since I was informed BPR got some bad modules shipped to them! I recommended they change suppliers!

Spyder Garage

I’m betting on the switch. No light on dash means no power to it. First, check fuses! If the fuse is ok, it is probably the switch. I remember Les having that problem. The brake switch will turn it off, but it should go on. Let us know what the dealer finds out.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joe, I will check the fuses and also let you know what the dealer finds.
    2021 S2S , Green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    No light on dash means no power to it.
    Is there supposed to be a light on the dash when you move the button or only when you set a speed? Both my '18 and '21 only shows a light when I set a speed. Not sure if I should have a light on just by sliding the switch over.

Spyder Garage

Yes. One for on, one for set.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Yes. One for on, one for set.
    Hmmmm...I know I've got one for set. Not sure I have one for on. Guess I need to visit my local dealer. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

It’s not a light like a warning light, Monk. I can’t access my F3-L at the moment, but it’s a display at the bottom of the screen just left of centre that says Cruise On, or something similar. It should indeed come on when you slide the switch.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

It may be different on the later models, but this in the 16F3
    1C089EA4-635E-449A-9BCA-07C880711E16.jpg
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Just got back from the dealer - they replaced the brake switch (under warranty). Took the RT-L for a test ride afterwards and all seems to be working well now. The VSS is not coming on at this time (this has been a headache), and the cruise control is once again working. The light on the dash comes on and it maintains speed.

Added the pedal commander this afternoon - what a difference this thing makes. Put it in Sport+ mode and took off like usual, however, this time the tires peeled out. I moved it back to the regular Sport mode for the rest of the ride.

Loving my Spyder once again - thanks for everyones input.
    2021 S2S , Green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. I'll have to go out and look at mine after work. I don't recall seeing any sort of light just from sliding the switch but maybe I missed it. My CC works and there's a light that comes on when it's activated so either way, I'm good but if there's supposed to be a light that comes on just from sliding the switch, I want to see it!