Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 3 new tires all kinds of warnings and limp mode

I did my research and with the help of a number of members settled on changing 3 tires on my 2010 RS. Got it home and parked it for a few days due to poor riding weather. Checked tire pressure and started my ride, now I have DPS,VSS, ABS and limp home mode. I checked my fuses as that has caused me grief in the past. Disconnected the battery for a minute or two, no joy.
    I should add that I had the work done at a dealership and the tires are not Kenda tires. They rushed me and a Ryker through because they have switched over to sleds and don't want to see 3 wheelers until spring. Could they possibly have messed something up? Damaged a sensor? misaligned something?
    Any idea as to where to check next? I have a hard time believing tire change would do so much to cause all of this.

New Tires Vredestein Quadtrac 5 front and rear of the appropriate size. 16psi front 18psi rear as per posts on this sight. I don't think I have tire pressure sensors that would read too low.

I live and ride in the North East, Ct to be precise and it is no colder than I have ridden in the past.
    Not sure what else I can add to this plea for help.

Many thanks in advance for your time and help

Spyder Garage

I would go more than 16 in front and 18 in the rear. But I don't think this is your problem.

Did they not ride test your Spyder before returning it to you? I'd say they messed something up at the dealership. I would start first by checking the wheel sensors to make sure they are installed and located correctly. But it could be a number of things causing your grief.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you trailer it home from the dealer? If not, were there any issues when started at the dealer?

JMO, but I'd have to agree the dealer screwed up something. But after a few days, getting them to do
    something about it could be problematical, unless they are a reputable business.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I empathize with the sinking feeling you have right now. You'll get past this and be riding again soon. My guess is some wheel sensor issue, and the rear wheel sensor is vulnerable when removing and mounting the wheel -- take a good look there. It might be subtle. For example, my rear wheel sensor has three shims and mucking with that could make it non-functional. And the sensor's signal cable can be snagged and damaged with a wrench when tightening or loosening the axle. Good luck -- I feel for you, man.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

They have been pretty good so far. Normally I would have taken the tires off and dropped them to change but the weather has been on the cold side and I have little to no room to work on my machine. I guess I'll be looking when it stops snowing, for broken or misaligned sensors and wires. I looked at the rear it doesn't look damaged, but I'm not sure what the spacing should be between the sensor and the tooth wheel. Next I'll roll it out and see about the front. thanks for your post.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Phobius View Post
    I did my research and with the help of a number of members settled on changing 3 tires on my 2010 RS. Got it home and parked it for a few days due to poor riding weather. Checked tire pressure and started my ride, now I have DPS,VSS, ABS and limp home mode. I checked my fuses as that has caused me grief in the past. Disconnected the battery for a minute or two, no joy.
    I should add that I had the work done at a dealership and the tires are not Kenda tires. They rushed me and a Ryker through because they have switched over to sleds and don't want to see 3 wheelers until spring. Could they possibly have messed something up? Damaged a sensor? misaligned something?
    Any idea as to where to check next? I have a hard time believing tire change would do so much to cause all of this.

New Tires Vredestein Quadtrac 5 front and rear of the appropriate size. 16psi front 18psi rear as per posts on this sight. I don't think I have tire pressure sensors that would read too low.

I live and ride in the North East, Ct to be precise and it is no colder than I have ridden in the past.
    Not sure what else I can add to this plea for help.

Many thanks in advance for your time and help
    My thought would be to take a look at the rear ABS sensor for damage( located by rear brake). Or excessive clearance between sensor and reluctor wheel.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

This has gotta be due to something the dealer/tech has done during the tire change process, either inadvertently or maybe purposefully ..... or possibly it's just cos some rodents have had a go at your Spyder's wiring harness in the few days it's been parked since!! But I'd certainly expect the Former over the latter if it's only been a couple of days!

Given that, be aware that even something as simple as starting the engine, selecting a gear, and letting it run/turn the rear wheel under power while Spyder is in the air so the front wheels aren't also turning is more than enough to produce those sorts of warnings; simply because by doing that, the individual wheel sensors would pick up vastly different wheel rotational speeds, making the Nanny think the Spyder is well & truly out of control OR some/all of the sensors are fried!! However, the warnings etc caused by that sort of thing generally go away if you (gently & carefully) ryde it for a few tens of metres... as soon as the wheel sensors all start reporting the same rotational speeds, the Nanny thinks the dire emergency has passed &/or the sensors are all fine & so, she lets you get back on with enjoying your Spyder!

Still'n all, given BRP's historical & unrealistic insistence on running Kendas to the exclusion of all other tires & most dealers refusal to fit anything else as a result of the unreasonable/unwarranted pressure applied by BRP, I wouldn't put it past a... hmmm, let's just say 'less than completely scrupulous' dealer/tech from purposefully screwing with the sensor alignment/spacing, cos that'd be a really easy way of fooling a 'not so aware' owner into thinking their choice of tires could be causing these problems (when they really CAN NOT do that!! ) and it'd then be an easy thing for the 'less than completely scrupulous' dealer/tech to 'prove' that it was your tire choice by fitting Kendas again & in the process fixing the easily remedied sensor alignment/spacing problem they caused in the first place during that 'remedial replace the tires' process!! But you'd hafta ask yourself, IS your dealer of choice &/or their tech/s likely to stoop that low??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-20-2020 at 08:19 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have they done any other work while it was there. If they have missed reconnecting a sensor, or not assembled it correctly, then there are the sorts of errors you can expect. Have you talked to them?
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with Peter and others who have mentioned the speed sensor .... and your tire pressure is Spot on for the Q-5's .... you could run them at 12 lbs less front and rear ( which I don't advise ) and it would NOT throw a code. .... I'm surprised that dis-connecting the Batt. didn't clear the codes, however if the sensor was damaged some of the codes won't clear until that is fixed .... I have learned from past bad experiences that dealers can't be trusted ..... good luck , keep us apprised .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the rear ABS sensor. I damaged one on my 2015 F3s once while charging a rear tire. I did not notice it at the time and there was no noticeable damage to it, but I got a lot of codes plus limp home mode. My dealer found it through BUDS.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just in case you're not able to get it back to the dealer soon to have them check for problems, I would highly recommend that you call (or visit) them and make them aware of these issues, sooner, rather than later.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

I just left them, and they said it needs to go on the Buds box, which I figured.
    So I had the Battery disconnected over night reconnected it and turned the key, same issue all of the warning lights are still on. The dealer is swamped until After New Years so I may just go to another dealer to see if I can get back on the road. Dealers being dealers I can't imaging getting away without paying something.
    Then the big decision to be made is whether to keep this machine or not. Is it worth putting money into it or getting a newer model.

Spyder Garage

I just left them, and they said it needs to go on the Buds box, which I figured.
    So I had the Battery disconnected over night reconnected it and turned the key, same issue all of the warning lights are still on. The dealer is swamped until After New Years so I may just go to another dealer to see if I can get back on the road. Dealers being dealers I can't imaging getting away without paying something.
    Then the big decision to be made is whether to keep this machine or not. Is it worth putting money into it or getting a newer model.
    It's a stretch to blame the machine for poor handling by the dealership. They messed it up so the job is not finished. They need to put you at the front of the line and get your Spyder functional. I'd be calling BRP on this one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Okay so I must eat this one. I don't know if I ordered the wrong diameter rear tire or was given the wrong tire by the warehouse. After looking at the machine and with BUD's connection we checked all of the wheel sensors, when my buddy said "Hey your bike looks taller than mine, so we broke out the tape measure and sure enough I had the wrong rear tire. I'm glad I didn't burn any bridges with the dealer so I bought the correct size tire and problem solved.
    If you could see my face it would be very red. Lesson learned, fortunately a cheap lesson with no more dealer intervention needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What size was the rear tire? Was it also the Vredestein?
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Okay so I must eat this one. I don't know if I ordered the wrong diameter rear tire or was given the wrong tire by the warehouse. After looking at the machine and with BUD's connection we checked all of the wheel sensors, when my buddy said "Hey your bike looks taller than mine, so we broke out the tape measure and sure enough I had the wrong rear tire. I'm glad I didn't burn any bridges with the dealer so I bought the correct size tire and problem solved.
    If you could see my face it would be very red. Lesson learned, fortunately a cheap lesson with no more dealer intervention needed.
    I know Vredestein's .... What size tires did you put on it ..... and What type of Spyder do you own .....help us help you ..... Mike .....PS 16 F and 18 R are good psi's to use, no matter what other advice you get ... ask Peter what He thinks .. He's also a tire guy ..

Spyder Garage

It was Vredestein R65, which must be too much for the Nanny to figure out. As I said I should have paid more attention before the tires were mounted.

Spyder Garage

It was Vredestein R65, which must be too much for the Nanny to figure out. As I said I should have paid more attention before the tires were mounted.
    ........ Sorry but there is NO such tire size ( for cars / trks / or Spyders ) as R65 ..... google " tire sizing " and find out how tires are measured ...... Thanks .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I had an R65 mounted where it should have been closer to the 50 series. I think I saw 60 series in the forum, the 50 series was not an option from the warehouse, and again not sure if I f'd up or it was the warehouse. Bottom line is I put another 50 series tire on and have had some very nice rides since.
    I blame no one but me for not doing enough homework, and checking the tires before mounting them. I missed out on a lot of riding, the cold doesn't bother me at all.

Spyder Garage

205/65R15 -- Yeah, I bought one of those, measured it and sent it back because I was concerned about Nanny. Looks like a good thing I did. I ended up with a 205/55R15 Kumho P31 and it seems fine. It only was a .45% change in rolling ratio front to rear, based on the manufacturer's revs-per-mile numbers.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Interesting as I am running a 205/65R-15 on the back of my 2020RT with no issues. My speedometer is now within 1/2 mile of my GPS.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Interesting as I am running a 205/65R-15 on the back of my 2020RT with no issues. My speedometer is now within 1/2 mile of my GPS.
    Phobius has a 2010 RS, so I'm not sure they directly compare. I was told the 205/65R15 would be just fine on my 2020RT, but I was cautious and wanted to keep the front-to-rear rotation rate as close to stock as I could. I wish Can-AM would reveal why they don't approve of car tires. I assumed it was the pulse rate tolerance of Nanny and tried to minimize the difference. With the 205/55R15 my speedo is the same as stock, even though all my tires are a little smaller radius than the Kendas were.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Thank you for enlightening some of our less knowledgeable members on the facts ..... you and other members here have successfully mounted that size tire on a Spyder..... Facts matter ..... Mike ....maybe some other member will chime in with info about 205/R65 -15 tires .....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-22-2021 at 08:43 PM. Reason: 1 ;-)

Spyder Garage

205/65R15 is what I was meaning to say.

Spyder Garage

205/65R15 is what I was meaning to say.
    Thanks for that info ..... I corrected my post above ... I don't type well and should have proof read it ..... I hope you read the four posts before mine ..... the 205/65-15 , Q5 tire cause NO issues .....Mike