Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally bailing!!

Out of the Northeast that is. Sold our house here in CT and are moving home to Austin Texas both to get out of the cold and snow, and to be near our kids who live in Austin. We have lived here in CT for 27 years, after having lived in Manhattan for 15. I'm no spring chicken, I'm tired of the cold and hate shoveling snow like I had to do recently. And the bonus - a way longer riding season! Looking forward to hooking up with the Hill Country Spyder Riders and meeting new folks.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

on your move. We did the same in 5/19. AK to AR. Best move I have ever made out of six.

Austin has a lot of good stuff.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome home to Texas! We retired to the greater San Antonio after having lived in a bunch of towns and cities across the U.S. during our careers (we're both retired USAF). Among our reasons, beyond once having two sets of parents who retired in the area, is the year-round riding season. In Austin you'll be on the doorstep of the Texas Hill Country, a wonderful area to ride, and that's a good thing. And, last but not least, I don't believe BRP will ever offer a snow plow attachment for the Spyder so there's no reason to linger in CT.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Good Luck

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Boy can I relate..... I was born in Salt Lake City, Utah.
    As a kid growing up my parents traveled alot and took
    me and my brother with them, we went everywhere, Florida,
    Hawaii, Texas California you name it We went there, mostly in the winters
    I guess my dad was not a big snow fan... well when all the kids were out freezing their
    ass off out in the snow getting wet and falling down in the snow, I was in the house next to the heat vent
    staying warm. I even remember going out on Halloween in the SNOW I hated it and still do....
    The day after I got out of school I joined the navy and off to San Diego for boot camp.... next duty station
    Key West Florida.... I thought I died and went to heaven. I have made it my lifes work to be where it does not snow
    or get much below 40 degrees out side... So Far So Good.....

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    I don't believe BRP will ever offer a snow plow attachment for the Spyder
    Which is why a few days ago my thoughts about trading in my ATV for a Ryker came to a screeching halt. I have a snow plow on my ATV which does get used once in awhile. But on the other hand not having the ATV would make a good excuse to buy a snowblower!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Salem, Ma to Clearwater, FL to Greenville, SC......
    now in Easley, SC...
    ZERO REGRETZ... except the Florida move... waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much traffic: Rt19 aka: highway from Hell...
    if i NEVER SEE SNOW again, i'm ok....

btw Oldguy, i'll be visiting PALO DORO CANYON in Canyon, TX next April/May, so i just may stop by for a cool one with you....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I lived in northern Indiana most of my life. I got tired of winter from November through April so I moved to the foothills of NC a little over 3 years ago. Part of the reason is because my elderly folks live down here but I sure am glad I don't live up there anymore. I don't miss "winter". It's almost Christmas and I was out riding both yesterday and today. Couldn't have done that up north.

Spyder Garage

Spent 30 years in the Navy traveling the world and planned on retiring in Southern Oregon. We realized the politics and weather of Southern Oregon was unpleasant and retired to San Antonio and love it. Riding in summer can be a little hot, but you can still ride! Getting ready to ride now at a pleasant 72 degrees! Welcome to Texas and warmer weather!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OldguyinTX be safe enjoy the move!! When I lived in Maine I enjoyed the Snow and Ice when it was time to play, now for working, driving and just doing everyday things not so much.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Welcome to Texas.... Made our move here 11 years ago. Couldn't drag me out with a John Deere Tractor. Lots of fun things to do in Austin and all the small towns that are an easy ride for your Spyder Pleasure.
    2014 , yes Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I lived in northern Indiana most of my life. I got tired of winter from November through April so I moved to the foothills of NC a little over 3 years ago. Part of the reason is because my elderly folks live down here but I sure am glad I don't live up there anymore. I don't miss "winter". It's almost Christmas and I was out riding both yesterday and today. Couldn't have done that up north.
    I was out today mowing the lawn on my riding mower today got up to 68 outside

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy, wish you the best.

Spyder Garage

Dwight,

I hope you and Valerie live long and prosper. At least you'll be warm and can ride more during the year.
    It's been a great pleasure to have known both of you.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Good for you! Moved to Las Vegas for the same reasons. It gets hot, but you don’t shovel sunshine!! Enjoy!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I admire you for making the move!! wish I had the stamina to do the same but have businessses in the cold Nebraska and can't leave!! good luck and HAPPY HOLIDAYS..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I grew up in NE Ohio and lived there for many years. Moved to Indianapolis, IN and lived there for many more years. Lots of cold and snow in both places. We're both retired and moved to Little Rock, AR almost three years ago for milder winters. I have my snow shovel prominently hung in my garage, never to be used again. Enjoy your move.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I have my snow shovel prominently hung in my garage, never to be used again. Enjoy your move.
    And here comes ole man winter laffing his butt off saying "I'll show you"
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on your new place!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, I have a little different perspective. I was born, raised, and have lived most of my life in the northern regions of the country. Before I returned to Idaho when I retired I lived and worked in Louisiana for 15 years. I had a 1981 Goldwing when I moved there in 1991, and sold it 4 years later. I told family and friends in Idaho that I could accept the idea of sweating while working or exercising outside, but sweating WHILE I was riding the motorcycle? That was too much. Bought a 2005 GW a month before I retired. Waited until I got to Idaho to title it. When folks asked why I was moving back to the cold north I said 3 reasons. I was afraid I would wear out the thermostat switching between heat and cool in the spring and fall in LA. There was a limit as too how many clothes you could take off when the weather got hot in LA, but up north in the cold you can just keep adding more layers as it gets colder! And mostly, I was going to go back to where summer was summer and winter was winter and two don't mixed up together. Overall year around the weather in Idaho in the Boise and westward region is some of the absolutely best weather in the US, bar none! I just wish there would have been some way for me to know when I was growing up in Central Idaho just how exquisitely wonderful the summers are up there compared to the rest of the country! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Ok, glad to see I am not the only one. I was born and raised in upstate NY (Rochester), and still live here. Love it. I find beauty in the 80 degree, sunny summer days as well as the 20 degree cloudy snow days, and the range in between. It is December 21, and I walked nearly 8 miles yesterday, including 5 in the morning in 30 F temps and moderate snow. I have the right clothing, and I enjoyed it. Sure, my riding season is shorter (May through October with random days outside of that window), yet I still rolled 11,300 miles on the odometers in 2020 ... and just about to hit 1,600 miles of walking/hiking. Did I mention I have two other BRP vehicles - snowmobiles! - a 2016 600 ACE and 2020 900 ACE Ski Doos. I get somewhere between 1000-2000 miles on those in a typical winter as well.

I am not saying any region is better or worse than others, any one or many of them can be GREAT to any one of us, depending upon on whether you can maximize life despite heat, cold, snow, rain, traffic, no curves, etc, etc!!

I would love a snowmobile cabin in northern Minnesota as much as a condo in New Mexico as a winter getaway.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

Welcome home.

I grew up in Iowa. Air Force sent me to Texas 55 years ago. Only had one "Northern assignment -- Mountain Home, ID."

Been here since 1993.

Holler when in town so we can ryde.

John

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your kind words of congratulations and support. It is incredibly hectic and stressful here right now trying to get everything packed up for our impending move. Over the last couple of months we have loaded three 12 yard dumpsters with c**p that we accumulated over the course of living in this house for 24 years, along with four runs to the "weigh & pay" at the local transfer station. Amazing how much stuff can accumulate in that amount of time, and how very easy it was to toss it. Still, a daunting task to pull all of our other stuff together, a big part of which is all of my carpentry and mechanic's tools. I thought I knew how much I had but boy, getting it all organized into some kind of order to get it loaded has been a monumental task. Thank goodness for good friends who have helped us tremendously. They work for food and booze, which is a small price to pay. Looking forward to having all of my family living in the same city for the first time ever.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    Thank you all for your kind words of congratulations and support. It is incredibly hectic and stressful here right now trying to get everything packed up for our impending move. Over the last couple of months we have loaded three 12 yard dumpsters with c**p that we accumulated over the course of living in this house for 24 years, along with four runs to the "weigh & pay" at the local transfer station. Amazing how much stuff can accumulate in that amount of time, and how very easy it was to toss it. Still, a daunting task to pull all of our other stuff together, a big part of which is all of my carpentry and mechanic's tools. I thought I knew how much I had but boy, getting it all organized into some kind of order to get it loaded has been a monumental task. Thank goodness for good friends who have helped us tremendously. They work for food and booze, which is a small price to pay. Looking forward to having all of my family living in the same city for the first time ever.
    .... my plan on my next move ? .... will be to yard sale, give away or trash 90% of what I have and just start over .... it's easier and probably cheaper than actually moving it somewhere else ..... all the best .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Welcome from Round Rock, Texas. It will be worth the move and you'll be able to ride all year round. The Hill Country is especially fun, great roads and sights. I moved from the northeast over 25 years ago to Central Texas and never regretted one minute. Cheers and good luck with your move.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black