Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker vs RSS - What's your opinion?

I am looking at buying a Can Am for my wife, I have a F3s. I am really interested in the Ryker Rally, it's priced where I need to be, but not sure if that's the right bike for her. I am concerned about her feeling comfortable on it especially at highway speeds. Also looking at either a 2015 or 2016 Rss. They are priced about the same but of course 5 or 6 years older. Do you think she would feel as secure on the Ryker as one of those. Test drive is not possible at this time because of weather and distance to the bikes. I also must say that accessories are much more available on the Ryker for some reason.

Spyder Garage

My opinion.
    The Ryker has a lower seating position than the Spyder RSS so i think she will feel a little more grounded. As for highway driving, you'll want a windshield for the Ryker. I noticed a huge difference on the highway once I got mine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would think a test ride is a necessity. Peggy didn't care for the Ryker after seeing, and sitting, on them. Test ride wasn't
    necessary. She thought they sat too low, too small, and felt they were more apt to be unnoticed.

Since she is the one riding it, she should be the one making the decisions.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I would think a test ride is a necessity. Peggy didn't care for the Ryker after seeing, and sitting, on them. Test ride wasn't
    necessary. She thought they sat too low, too small, and felt they were more apt to be unnoticed.

Since she is the one riding it, she should be the one making the decisions.

I actually sit higher off the road than my in my car. I added the slingmods led blinkers to the front fenders for added visibility.

To each his own I suppose.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would not buy without a test ride, although no issues with comfort at speed.
    A1-Utah I15 N of St George.jpg
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Lots depending on her comfort with the size & position, RSS fixed VS Ryker adjustability & almost 1/2 the size. Storage capacity if you might attempt trip or two. The RSS should have trailer mode option.
    Now if gonna play off road, however Ryker hands down

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I had an RS (GS) some years ago ..
    the brakes of the Ryker are much better
    easier to handle - full automatic
    if you sit lower its a much more "secure" feeling
    the service coasts are around halve of this 7 years old V2 machines ...
    to the basic price you should add some of the available goodies
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Comfortable at highway speed has more to do with experience than model. Ryker is twist & go which takes a lot of complexity out for a new rider. A lot of new riders to the Ryker complain about it being out of alignment straight from the dealer and twitchy acting on the road when in fact it is the inexperience of the rider causing the over correcting and constant movement from side to side. The GS/RS/RSS are heavier which will make the bike feel more planted on the road BUT you do sit higher. The RSS is a value buy; saving thousands for any future maintenance visit and has adequate storage for day/weekend rides. Good luck with your search.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

The Ryker is less of a learning curve than the Spyder. Though the SE5 isn't much more of a learning curve. The RSS has power steering assist. The Ryker does not. But then, the Ryker really doesn't need it.

Both are excellent rides, though targeted for a different experience. A test ride of both is in order here as has been mentioned. Either one will be a great ride. But there are significant differences, as has also been mentioned. Either is fine on the freeway at any speed you are willing to go, until you run out of motor, that is.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Bought my wife a 600 when they came out and she loves it. She had never driven/ridden a motorcycle but did have experience with the old Honda ATC's. Let her lead one time and had to tell her to slow down through helmet comms. She was doing 85 in a 55...

Spyder Garage

Duplicated post
    Moderator please delete...I should learn to not post via smartphone.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

The Rally has better front suspension than the 900 standard, but 400 mm aftermarket shocks is an improvement on both.
    See posts 13 & 14

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...00#post1545853

GREATLY reduced "twitchyness"

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the feedback. A test ride on the Ryker is not possible until probably spring as I live in Michigan. The Rss's I am looking at are over 500 mile away. I had already decided that if I get the Ryker I would get a good windshield and probably the Slingmods bags. If I went with the Rss I still would need a windshield, but no bags, so that is a savings of $700. There also seems to be a lot more accessories for the Ryker. My wife is very familiar with how the Spyders ride as she rides on the back of my F3s. So she know the feeling of the swaying and motion of the spyder (especially riding on the back). But I know driving one is a little different and that's why I wanted your opinion on which one she might feel more comfortable driving. She has also driven her own snowmobile for 5 or 6 years some ten plus years ago. We like the looks of the Rss and of course it is more like my F3s, but we are both really fascinated with the Ryker and I can buy it locally. We have a pretty good dealership here. As I stated before the Rss I am looking at and Ryker Rally are priced pretty close to the same. I know they are really different built bikes, but buying a 5 or 6 year old bike as opposed a brand new one with full warranty is a big factor to consider. We have decided that within the next month is the best time for us to buy.

Spyder Garage

The Ryker is difficult to beat for cornering.
    No regets buying one, but should not have postponed replacing the front shocks.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ew#post1548033

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know you are looking at the Ryker and a 2015 or 2016 RSS (which I am team RSS all the way), but for that same price point, I would be on the lookout for a used 2015 or 2016 F3. You say that you have one of those, and she is familiar with it. In my area (NC), there are deals on used F3 and F3S that would be nearly the same as a new ryker or a RSS. Good luck with your shoping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
    Thank you for all the feedback. A test ride on the Ryker is not possible until probably spring as I live in Michigan. The Rss's I am looking at are over 500 mile away. I had already decided that if I get the Ryker I would get a good windshield and probably the Slingmods bags. If I went with the Rss I still would need a windshield, but no bags, so that is a savings of $700. There also seems to be a lot more accessories for the Ryker. My wife is very familiar with how the Spyders ride as she rides on the back of my F3s. So she know the feeling of the swaying and motion of the spyder (especially riding on the back). But I know driving one is a little different and that's why I wanted your opinion on which one she might feel more comfortable driving. She has also driven her own snowmobile for 5 or 6 years some ten plus years ago. We like the looks of the Rss and of course it is more like my F3s, but we are both really fascinated with the Ryker and I can buy it locally. We have a pretty good dealership here. As I stated before the Rss I am looking at and Ryker Rally are priced pretty close to the same. I know they are really different built bikes, but buying a 5 or 6 year old bike as opposed a brand new one with full warranty is a big factor to consider. We have decided that within the next month is the best time for us to buy.
    Good luck on either, Hope to see/meet you somewhere out there.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thank you Bfromla, still looking, but leaning toward the Ryker.

Spyder Garage

I had 35,000 miles on my RS and even with the SwayBar and ultimate seat I felt it was going to tose me in hard corners. My Rally is better cornering and I feel safer on the highway with it because you feel like part of the machine. The Ryker is ALSO twice as noisy compared to my current F3.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Noisy how, engine noise?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
    Noisy how, engine noise?
    Because of the CVT the rpm’s are pretty much always high on the ryker so yeah noisier because of the engine/tranny

Spyder Garage

Yeah, after driving the Ryker my F3 Manual clutch is So much quieter because the Belt is a lot less noise than the CVT gears.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Yeah, after driving the Ryker my F3 Manual clutch is So much quieter because the Belt is a lot less noise than the CVT gears.
    I've been wondering lately if there would be a way and room enough to safely apply some sound soaking foam (or whatever works) on the inside walls of the CVT housing. The housing may be making the mechanics louder. Like a hollow body guitar.
    DEPUTY DOG: If your wife likes sitting in and driving sport cars, then its the Ryker. If she likes sitting in and driving luxury cars then its the RSS. Anyway that's my way of thinking.

Spyder Garage

Very interesting, I wonder if the 2021's will be any quieter.

Spyder Garage

If it were not an issue of fitting your budget or availability, what Spyder would you be looking at?

Also, you haven't mentioned any preferences from her of any kind -- does she really want one?
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

MRH yes she wants one, and if price was not an issue it would probably be a F3, but she does like the looks of the Ryker. She also really likes the looks of the Rss but again trying to get one or the F3 in the Ryker price range for a 2015 or 16 hasn't happened yet. Don't want to buy any older than that. Also not sure if the Rss would be a good bike for her because she will not be driving it very hard or fast and I'm not sure if that would be an issue with that higher revving engine.