Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hey Arizona, how do you deal with the heat?

At the end of last Summer, I was suffering when the temperature got into the 90°s. My comfort range on 2 wheels was from 60° to 100° -- on the Spyder it's from 40° to 90°. While the range is greater on the Spyder, those 90°+ days were miserable.

My conclusion is that I don't know how to deal with the heat. So, here's a plea for advice from those of you who live and ride in the warmer areas of the country. The 'choke' point for me seems to be my Shoei RF1200 helmet, but I'm sure there are many other things I can improve.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have regularly written at temps up to 116 degrees F.
    HJC IS-33 helmet
    Carhartt long sleeve t-shirt (good UV rating)
    Wranglers
    Boots
    Lightweight deer skin gloves
    Flip up the face shield at signals.
    Keep moving as much as practical.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For me, I think, is age related. On my ‘wing I would ride all day in 90 degree heat. I was in my late 40’s early 50’s then. Now I’m in my late 70’s and riding the Spyder and I can barely stand 80 degree heat.....and yes, we do get those temps up here in Canada. just my .02.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Ditto to what SportsterDoc said, but I've also found that mesh jackets help a whole lot compared to a t-shirt. As long as you're moving, the mesh will give you sun protection and be cooler than without it.

Don't forget some sunscreen for your face, even with the helmet. I've come back home a few times with a nose that was so burned it felt more like shoe leather than skin. Same for any exposed skin; between sun and wind on the ryde, burns will be fast and deep.

“There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    I have regularly written at temps up to 116 degrees F.
    HJC IS-33 helmet
    Carhartt long sleeve t-shirt (good UV rating)
    Wranglers
    Boots
    Lightweight deer skin gloves
    Flip up the face shield at signals.
    Keep moving as much as practical.
    I'll look into the helmet. It seems to me that the Ryker, with your body in the air stream, would be more like a motorcycle than the RT. The wind protection that makes 40° comfortable is stifling at 95°.

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    Ditto to what SportsterDoc said, but I've also found that mesh jackets help a whole lot compared to a t-shirt. As long as you're moving, the mesh will give you sun protection and be cooler than without it.

Don't forget some sunscreen for your face, even with the helmet. I've come back home a few times with a nose that was so burned it felt more like shoe leather than skin. Same for any exposed skin; between sun and wind on the ryde, burns will be fast and deep.

I ride with a t-shirt under an armored mesh jacket, and it works except when stopped. Never had an issue with burns.

and bigbadbrucie, you may be on to something. I'm a bit long of the tooth, too.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Be very respectful of heat, hydrate frequently and be careful not to ride to far. It was probably heat that killed a friend of mine and wrecked his Spyder this summer,

Spyder Garage

Without any doubt, the most important temperature change I made was to purchase the BRP short windshield and add an X-Creen like this one:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-spoiler-blade
    You can adjust it on the fly to push the air right into your face on a hot day, and it helps even at slower speeds because it catches a lot of air.

A mesh jacket that is mesh all the way around is also a big help. Most are only mesh front and back, and on the top of the sleeves (where the air doesn't catch on a Spyder). I also wear very light gloves that are really designed for dirtbikes. I have one by Fly that I love, but now everything I see is only part mesh.

On the truly hot days, I also use a cooling vest (you just soak it in water)
    https://www.amazon.com/TechNiche-Int...8258819&sr=8-7
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Bruce: The older I get (74 in 2 months) the narrower my comfort zone for temperature. It was 15°F when I left my northern Arizona ranch 4 AM Tuesday and I was definitely using gloves to handle propane cylinders and such!

In the Southwest 90° F is just warm... however, it is generally a dry heat or a dry cold... and that makes considerable difference.

When I had my CB 1100 I went up to Mount Charleston (roadways are over 8,500 ft elevation), went through a shower and my long sleeve t-shirt was soaking wet... By the time I descended to 3,000 feet elevation it was completely dry.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

Oh, and I ride with the clear screen on my Shoei Neotech 2 up, and with a very form fitting pair of glasses over my eyes. That way the wind is in my face, but my eyes don't dry out.

In the dry heat, you can be reasonably comfortable in the 90's with my setup. Also keep lots of water on hand, and drink before you get thirsty.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).

Spyder Garage

Ride On: very good points about sunscreen. When I used a 3/4 helmet I used high SPF on cheeks and nose.

Long sleeve Carhartt button up shirt sleeves are not as long as their T-shirts. When I have ridden with a button up long sleeve Carhartt and only a short sleeve T-shirt, I got a lot of color on my wrists between the shirt and my gloves. The long sleeve T-shirt pulls out farther over the wrists.

For my 1100 mile ride in September I had three layers available. A long sleeve button up over a long sleeve T was almost too warm, but heading north through the Navajo reservation I didn't want to give up the collar for sun protection on my neck.
    Trees for a shady stop along highway 89 are extremely rare north of Flagstaff.

Spyder Garage

Butter:
    I had Dart Marlin fly screens on my Moto Guzzi and Honda; Sport windscreen on the Ryker. One negative aspect of hot weather riding on the Ryker is heat at the feet especially when stopped and the fan kicks on

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Without any doubt, the most important temperature change I made was to purchase the BRP short windshield and add an X-Creen like this one:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-spoiler-blade
    You can adjust it on the fly to push the air right into your face on a hot day, and it helps even at slower speeds because it catches a lot of air.

A mesh jacket that is mesh all the way around is also a big help. Most are only mesh front and back, and on the top of the sleeves (where the air doesn't catch on a Spyder). I also wear very light gloves that are really designed for dirtbikes. I have one by Fly that I love, but now everything I see is only part mesh.

On the truly hot days, I also use a cooling vest (you just soak it in water)
    https://www.amazon.com/TechNiche-Int...8258819&sr=8-7
    I bookmarked the vest -- sounds like a great idea, thanks!
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Yuma Gary: Yes hydration is critical. The Rykers glove box will hold three half liter water bottles. With one pre-frozen and all three inside an insulated bag , cold water is possible throughout the day.

Spyder Garage

Oh, and I ride with the clear screen on my Shoei Neotech 2 up, and with a very form fitting pair of glasses over my eyes. That way the wind is in my face, but my eyes don't dry out.

In the dry heat, you can be reasonably comfortable in the 90's with my setup. Also keep lots of water on hand, and drink before you get thirsty.
    I've been looking at the Neotech 2. How is it for airflow?
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I've been looking at the Neotech 2. How is it for airflow?
    Since I almost always ride with the screen up, it's fine for the way I ride. A 3/4, of course, let's in much more air, but they also provide zero jaw protection, and I like my teeth. My wife just got a Shark modular (much like the Neotech) and it is lighter and has some great design choices. Absolutely check it out -- it may be my next helmet (as much as I love my Shoei).

Spyder Garage

Be very respectful of heat, hydrate frequently and be careful not to ride to far. It was probably heat that killed a friend of mine and wrecked his Spyder this summer,

Spyder Garage

Since I almost always ride with the screen up, it's fine for the way I ride. A 3/4, of course, let's in much more air, but they also provide zero jaw protection, and I like my teeth. My wife just got a Shark modular (much like the Neotech) and it is lighter and has some great design choices. Absolutely check it out -- it may be my next helmet (as much as I love my Shoei).
    Shoeis fit my head perfectly. I live where mail order is the only choice, so trying on isn't an option. I will check it out. Do you have any comments about the head fit when compared to Shoei? I want face protection -- the world couldn't take an uglier me...
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

When the temperature gets above (about) 95F there is no cooling from evaporation (sweat) and air over your body will increase your temperature. You NEED to cool it by external means. That is, get into a cool environment. Wet yourself down with cool water or some other way. I take breaks about every half hour to cool down in extremely hot weather. I carry a spray bottle of water and use it liberally. Keep your skin covered with long sleeve shirts and pants. Drink more water than you think you need because you really do need it. And don't try to be a tough guy and ride it out. The heat WILL overcome before you know what is happening..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Visor open, face protection from the raised windshield, mesh jacket, and over 90 something a water soaked cool vest I bought at Cycle Gear. The cool vest makes a 10 to 15 degree difference. I've ridden at 110° + comfortably with it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I liberally cover exposed skin with #30 sunblock. Wear a long-sleeved white T-shirt over a cool vest and carry a camelback 1/2 full of ice and 1/2 full of water. I make frequent stops to refresh the cool vest and my camelback. I've put down a lot of miles that way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Visor open, face protection from the raised windshield, mesh jacket, and over 90 something a water soaked cool vest I bought at Cycle Gear. The cool vest makes a 10 to 15 degree difference. I've ridden at 110° + comfortably with it.
    It sounds like you have a great vest, which one did you go with?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Shoeis fit my head perfectly. I live where mail order is the only choice, so trying on isn't an option. I will check it out. Do you have any comments about the head fit when compared to Shoei? I want face protection -- the world couldn't take an uglier me...
    Sorry, the Shoei fits me very well, and I haven't tried on the current version of the Shark in my size. If you get a chance to go to a motorcycle show, it can be a great place to try on just about every helmet out there. That said, I don't know how their new outdoor format may change that:
    https://motorcycleshows.com

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It sounds like you have a great vest, which one did you go with?
    I think this is the one. https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/sedici-cooling-vest It holds a lot of water! I have to take my wallet out of my back pocket as my whole backside gets wet! In the dry Idaho climate at 95°+ and 65 MPH the vest stays damp for about 45 minutes to an hour or so. Humidity plays a big part in how well the cooling works. The drier the air the more evaporation and cooling.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Soaker Vest!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

All good suggestions above.

At last, I am even able to answer with some suggestions. Been in NW Arkansas since May of 2019. We see hundred degrees quite a few times during the riding season. We have slowly developed our "hot" riding gear, and currently use the following:

For the hottest days, local rides, on mostly deserted roads:

Bell/Sena Mag9 helmets: faceplates up

Lightweight leather gloves...she likes golf type gloves, I like fingerless

Hi-Viz T-shirt OR Hi-Viz Long sleeve...she likes the long sleeve and I go for the T. Have a great sun tan on the arms by end of June.

Jeans: we both like them.

Good riding boots, we gravitate to the ankle high types when really hot, otherwise, standard boots.

For long distance rides on the more traveled roads: We use MESH jackets. I have found VIKING brand...for $49 that are Hi-Viz and mostly all mesh.

Not perfect but it suits us and we are comfortable with it. ALWAYS, ALWAYS helmets, gloves, boots, and good jeans. No shorts, or flip-flops.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-18-2020 at 10:39 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red