Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I have asked a similar question before. The response I got was put the bike in the garage at 10am and don't take it out until the sun goes down. Anything over 100 degrees merits a car.
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

Lived in Phoenix 24 years, rode year around. 50 miles daily for work and 200 miles to the get away house up North. Always cover up, exposed skin is dehydration, mesh jacket and a skull cap under the helmet. Hottest ride was 200 miles coming home from Tombstone on a 120 degree day, that was an experience, I read that 12 inches off the pavement it's 140 degrees.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    When the temperature gets above (about) 95F there is no cooling from evaporation (sweat) and air over your body will increase your temperature. You NEED to cool it by external means. That is, get into a cool environment. Wet yourself down with cool water or some other way. I take breaks about every half hour to cool down in extremely hot weather. I carry a spray bottle of water and use it liberally. Keep your skin covered with long sleeve shirts and pants. Drink more water than you think you need because you really do need it. And don't try to be a tough guy and ride it out. The heat WILL overcome before you know what is happening..... Jim
    Yep, as Canam says above, regular breaks out of the sun, and rehydration are essential. We get over 100 temps on a regular basis over summer. Also, as Jack and others have said, a cooling vest works wonders. I rode two hours to a service on a 110 degree days, without a cooling vest, stopping every half hour to rehydrate and rest in shade, and I was still absolutely knackered when I got there.

I bought a BMW cool vest (the only one in my size at the dealer), and found an old cool rider skullcap buried deep in my saddlebags for the trip back. I rode home in the same temps the next day, wet them up and re-wet them at stops, and only had to stop every 45 minutes, and felt OK when I got home. Keeping the body core cool is a huge help.

Luckily I had booked in to a motel overnight for the service. I believe if I had attempted to ride home the same day, wearing the same gear I had worn on the way down, I probably wouldn’t have made it without some serious body damage.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Cooling strategy

First, let me thank everyone for helping me figure out a course of action for the coming Summer.

The three things that came up most often were helmets, vests, and mesh jackets. So, the changes I have planned are:
    1. New modular helmet
    2. Cooling Vest
    3. Cat delete, to remove a source of heat
    4. New Sea-Sky adjustable air deflectors

I already have a mesh jacket and the cat delete pipe is on the way. My current helmet (Shoei RF1200) is six years old and since it fits perfectly, I think I'll go with a Shoei Neo-tech II, so there are more ventilation options. The vest is an inexpensive option to carry in the frunk, along with extra water bottles. The air deflectors will hopefully make a big difference, too.

The heat here is not nearly as severe as Arizona, so I think I'll be good.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I also use a neck wrap that is just like the cooling vest. Being a cheapskate I made my own. I also ride with the visor open slightly for more air flow, you will also have more noise from the airflow and engine. Also there is an electric vest that uses an ice chest to circulate water through the vest.
    https://www.thewarmingstore.com/comp...oaAn0WEALw_wcB

Below are a couple videos with tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQJSfMybics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5RAbEtl7g0
    2011 rt , pearl white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Over 50 years of riding here, lived in Az 25 years, now in New Mexico. Ride all year. I always wear at least a Duluth Trading Long Sleeve T Shirt. The Sun is your enemy on your skin on a Motorcycle/ATV/ or Spyder/Ryker. At very hi temps, above 90, I always wear a full Mesh jacket over the Long Sleeve T shirt. Keep well hydrated, I drink lots of Gaiter Aid. The Mesh keeps the Sun off while the T underneath absorbs the sweat and with the airflow thru the Mesh, the Long Sleeve T Shirt acts like an Evaporative Cooler and you stay nice and cool. These riders that ride in sleeveless T's and no helmet especially in the Summer Sun, IMHO are total idiots. Also a full coverage good flip up helmet. Down when riding at speed, up when slow or stopped.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L