Thread: Snow !!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Snow !!!!

Well yesterday ( Wed. )Mid Vt. had No Snow, got about 6 inches ( from storm Gail ) ..... but in southern Vt. ie. Benning ton , up to about Rutland they got a HUGH Demp .... Ludlow reported ( official ) 44 inches .... More in the mountains ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Spyders don't like snow

I guess I learn the hard way. I went up a locally popular back road into the Sierra Nevadas last March and found out that my Spyder ST would not go in snow. All was well until I got up high enough and rounded a corner to find out the road had about 4" of snow on it and only two tracks from the few cars or trucks up there.

Once the rear wheel hit the snow, the ST stopped dead in its tracks. All it would do is spin the rear wheel. It seemed there was not enough traction to push the front wheels even a little. I had to back out, turn around and retrace my route up the mountain to get home.

Given its snowmobile heritage, I was a little surprised that the Spyder was so useless in just a few inches of snow. I realize it has tires, not tracks, but still expected a bit more out of it. Live and learn I suppose.

Spyder in Snow.jpg Sierra Nevada near Bako.jpg
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    I guess I learn the hard way. I went up a locally popular back road into the Sierra Nevadas last March and found out that my Spyder ST would not go in snow. All was well until I got up high enough and rounded a corner to find out the road had about 4" of snow on it and only two tracks from the few cars or trucks up there.

Once the rear wheel hit the snow, the ST stopped dead in its tracks. All it would do is spin the rear wheel. It seemed there was not enough traction to push the front wheels even a little. I had to back out, turn around and retrace my route up the mountain to get home.

Given its snowmobile heritage, I was a little surprised that the Spyder was so useless in just a few inches of snow. I realize it has tires, not tracks, but still expected a bit more out of it. Live and learn I suppose.

Spyder in Snow.jpg Sierra Nevada near Bako.jpg
    Yup! That is right on from my Alaska days. Four inches and the back wheel just spins in place. The front wheels act as snow plows and you don't go anywhere. PS. Snow tires just make it worse.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well yesterday ( Wed. )Mid Vt. had No Snow, got about 6 inches ( from storm Gail ) ..... but in southern Vt. ie. Benning ton , up to about Rutland they got a HUGH Demp .... Ludlow reported ( official ) 44 inches .... More in the mountains ..... Mike
    I saw that parts of the storm area got up to 4 feet. Have not seen a snowfall like that since my first year in Alaska (2001). Got it in October and that one stayed until May.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

33 inches here in QueensBURY, New York! ... and it almost all fell overnight, so you couldn't shovel/snow blow in smaller amounts. Most recent forecast predicted 5-7". The weather service wasn't off by much on this one. LOL.
    Bert

Spyder Garage

It even snowed here in Utah. At least we will have some water next summer. Looks 12-18 inches herer in the valley, 2 or more feet in the mountains.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    It even snowed here in Utah. At least we will have some water next summer. Looks 12-18 inches herer in the valley, 2 or more feet in the mountains.
    " even snowed " ... Utah has some of the best Skiing in the US .... Spring City must not be near the mountains ..... Mike