Spyder Garage

Default What's your opinion on which Gas additive to use?

I was wanting to get some opinions. I am trailering (open flat Aluma) from Michigan to Arizona here the end of the month. Called and talk to a dealer, and he said that he would fill the tank and add the Marine 360 Sta-bil instead of the regular Sta-bil. I was just looking and the Marine 360 version is an ethanol additive, and I know most gas has ethanol, but the regular version of Sta-bil reads alot different in both descriptions. Also the service guy said to take the battery out if possible, when I asked about it. What is your opinion? I also have to find a way to protect my Ultimate seat , arm rests, and seat back from possible salt etc.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd only put Sta-bil in it if you don't plan on riding it. If you're going to ride it in the next month or so, don't bother.
    Personally I'd avoid adding any additional alcohol/ethanol to the fuel system. JMO of course. Same with pulling the
    battery.

For the seats and such, either find a good non-flapping cover, or take them off and store them for the trip.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I do use Stable 360 a lot, not every time but often in my Spyder and have never had a problem even after it sits for 2 months. Trailering I don't remove the battery or cover the seat. I do put it on a tender when I get to where I'm going (winter home) and if the seat gets wet it dries on it own.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking Possible has the better advice.
    If you are going to ride your Spyder in Arizona when you get there, then there's no need to stabilize the gas.
    Just make sure you fill the tank up first to minimize the vapor space in the gas tank.
    Even two months should be OK.
    If you decide to use any stabilizer, I've had good result with Sea Foam.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You want my opinion? Well, you're welcome to it.

Just remember it's worth what you paid for it.

For your situation where you will be riding soon-ish (less than a month), no stabilizer is necessary. I have heard a LOT of recommendations on the motorcycle forum where I usually hang out for Stabil 360. Nobody has ever said "it doesn't work". I still have a supply of 'regular' Stabil that I need to use up (it does have a finite shelf life), so I have not tried the 360 formula. I did try SeaFoam several years ago. Did not hurt anything, but I feel Stabil is a bit better. I still use SeaFoam occasionally during riding season to clean the fuel system, but not for storage stabilization.

For the trip, do NOT use a regular cover on the Spyder. It will flap mercilessly in the wind, actually wearing the paint off the bike. If you feel the need to cover, just cover the upholstery. Use heavy-duty plastic trash bags. Wrap tape around it all to keep anything from flapping. Even better would be to remove, if possible.

I have no idea why the suggestion to remove the battery. I see no need to do so.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use StarTron Marine ( Stabil has a similar version - 360 ??? ) because they claim to negate the bad effects of ethyl that's in most gas .... never had a problem even after lengthy storage ..... does it work ???? .... I don't think it will hurt anything ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you cover your seat when riding? No real differences. Throw on trailer n go. Gas is usually cheaper in AZ too bTW. But then again I don’t know anything so do as you wish.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I lived up North, my 2 wheeler would be in hibernation for 5 months, and there were times that I did NOT use any stabilizer, and the bike always ran when I took it out, all be it it ran rough for the first half tank. I would then fill it again, and it ran smooth. I wouldn’t sweat bricks about adding or not, but that’s just me. It’s your unit....your worry. Same thing for my lawnmower. Never used a stabilizer, and still don’t.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    Do you cover your seat when riding? No real differences.
    Actually, there IS a difference. Could be a BIG one.

Depending on the weather when he leaves Michigan, there could be snow/salt/whatever on the roads. If he has the option of waiting a bit, great, but if not, road spray from the tow vehicle will splash back onto the Spyder. And, ... it may be clear when he leaves home, but might catch some weather on the way.

The big difference is that MOST of us don't take the Spyder out for a ride in weather like that, so all the salt crud is not an issue.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I do put a cover on the seat when riding in the rain, but would not stay on without rider probably. A stock seat I would not worry about salt and road spray , but you are talking about a $1900 Ultimate seat.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Steve,

Make sure your tank is full (with pure gas if possable). Make sure your battery is fully charged. Open your seat and slide a heavy duty trash bag(or two) over the seat, and tape it up making sure it will not flap in the wind and is sealed in the back.
    This is all you will need to do until you arrive in Arizona.
    Once here wash the Spyder and ride.

BTW we are in sunny Apache Junction.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

IMHO. Drain the tank as much as possible. Ride it, or suck it out. Fill with 100% whole gas. Search where you can get it in your area. No need to add stabilizer. Leave the battery alone. If you remove it. Are you going to trickle charge it? Remove the seats if you're worried about them. Don't cover them on an open trailer. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

After reading all these opinions to me the answer is simple. Trade the Aluma for an enclosed trailer. You will be glad you did for many many reasons. You paid $1900 for a seat. Your Aluma plus $1900 should buy an enclosed trailer. Remember Ice, Snow, rocks, Salt, and last but not least Theft.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    I do put a cover on the seat when riding in the rain, but would not stay on without rider probably. A stock seat I would not worry about salt and road spray , but you are talking about a $1900 Ultimate seat.
    Steve,

Take your seat off, replace when you arrive. Enjoy the warm weather.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    After reading all these opinions to me the answer is simple. Trade the Aluma for an enclosed trailer. You will be glad you did for many many reasons. You paid $1900 for a seat. Your Aluma plus $1900 should buy an enclosed trailer. Remember Ice, Snow, rocks, Salt, and last but not least Theft.

Jack
    Just what I was getting ready to say!!! Good job Jack!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    I was wanting to get some opinions. I am trailering (open flat Aluma) from Michigan to Arizona here the end of the month. Called and talk to a dealer, and he said that he would fill the tank and add the Marine 360 Sta-bil instead of the regular Sta-bil. I was just looking and the Marine 360 version is an ethanol additive, and I know most gas has ethanol, but the regular version of Sta-bil reads alot different in both descriptions. Also the service guy said to take the battery out if possible, when I asked about it. What is your opinion? I also have to find a way to protect my Ultimate seat , arm rests, and seat back from possible salt etc.
    Assuming you will be doing some riding in AZ, I'd leave battery in, and forget the Sta-bil as that is for long term storage...like over the winter.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Steve,

Take your seat off, replace when you arrive. Enjoy the warm weather.

Al in Kazoo
    ......... However if you have not done this before, you need to stuff something in all the spaces near the long bolt at the rear of the seat pan.... if you drop something, good luck EVER finding it ...... Mike