Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Why a tall windshield

I have a 2017 F3-Limited and the windshield is not large. A serious question for riders who like a taller windshield. What is the reason for the higher windshield? Sorry if this is obvious, but something I wondered. Thanks in advance.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

On my RT with the adjustable windshield, I run it up to the point where the wind noise in my helmet top vents stops. The right height windshield can make riding very calm and quiet. It's down around town.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Raising the windshield also keeps you warmer.

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2017 F3L that came with the 12" windshield that was great in hot weather, but not when things cooled. I bought a 16" w/s with a flip from 7Jurock for $140 shipped, if I recall. That was a perfect w/s until the temps got below the mid 40s. So I called 7Jurock and asked if they'd make a custom w/s to my specs, they said they would. It's 18" high and has a flip. It's 9" wider than the brackets, but still used the brackets with plastic spacers between the w/s and the brackets. I'm 5'-10" and see well over it, yet it provides great wind protection. It could have been an inch or two higher and I could still see over it. BTW, 7Jurock only charged me $160 shipped for the custom w/s.
    P.S. The flip does the job like it is a taller windshield.

DSCN2702.jpg The 16" windshield.

DSCN2869.jpg The 18" windshield.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A taller windscreen also keeps some of the rain off, especially in a frog strangling rain. The dealer where I just purchased my '21 RT is about an hours ride away. When I picked it up, it was raining hard enough I really shouldn't have ridden home in it. Since I didn't really have any other choice, I ran the windscreen all the way up and it kept the majority of the rain off of me once I got up to speed. My legs, arms and hands got drenched (my "waterproof" gloves were NOT) but my torso and most of my helmet didn't get pounded by the rain. (I still got soaked as there wasn't any way to go from zero-70mph in an instant and there were a few places I had to slow way down.)

Spyder Garage

I am 6'3" with a long torso and have the standard 25" windshield on out 2018 RTL. If I hold my head down a couple inches, it is a much better ride, so I am thinking about the 28" tall windshield. The owner that I bought from 7 weeks ago had just put a new windshield on it. So if anyone in the East Valley of Phoenix needs a near new 25" windshield if I order a tall one, maybe we could work out a deal? Chris
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

FYI....The RT has a windshield that goes up and down, but the F3L & T have fixed windshield.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I ride an RT. I put on a taller windshield to prevent head buffeting. It is a much improved ride for me.

Spyder Garage

The adjustable windshield is the one thing I use most on my RTL.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Most put the taller windshield on to reduce head buffeting, Jim. On my trip home from the dealer, the buffeting from stock screen on my F3-L nearly lifted my head off my shoulders.......but I am taller than average . I find a screen with its top level with my mouth allows me to see over the top of the screen easily while still directing a little air to the front vent on my helmet. If I got a screen that was level with my nose, that would direct all air over the top of my helmet.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like to ride with the helmet shield up. My F4 Tall & Wide on my RT keeps the wind and bugs off my face.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I like to ride with the helmet shield up. My F4 Tall & Wide on my RT keeps the wind and bugs off my face.
    You have bugs there? If I come home after a full day's ride with more than four bugs on my windshield, that's a lot. We are flying insect deprived here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    You have bugs there? If I come home after a full day's ride with more than four bugs on my windshield, that's a lot. We are flying insect deprived here.
    See, there really is a benefit to living where people have evolved into having web feet!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    See, there really is a benefit to living where people have evolved into having web feet!
    And moss on our backs. I'm guessing the rains drown the bugs. It also makes this corner of the country what it is; green. There are trade offs for anywhere one lives.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also have a 2017 F3L that came with the 12" windshield that was great in hot weather, but not when things cooled. I bought a 16" w/s with a flip from 7Jurock for $140 shipped, if I recall. That was a perfect w/s until the temps got below the mid 40s. So I called 7Jurock and asked if they'd make a custom w/s to my specs, they said they would. It's 18" high and has a flip. It's 9" wider than the brackets, but still used the brackets with plastic spacers between the w/s and the brackets. I'm 5'-10" and see well over it, yet it provides great wind protection. It could have been an inch or two higher and I could still see over it. BTW, 7Jurock only charged me $160 shipped for the custom w/s.
    P.S. The flip does the job like it is a taller windshield.

DSCN2702.jpg The 16" windshield.

DSCN2869.jpg The 18" windshield.
    Like you, the stock windshield is good enough for me about 6-8 months out of the year. I been searching for a perfect size to work in the colder weather. I just picked up a used 21" F4 from someone local. It seems to work great. But I do wish I had heard about the Jurock one earlier. That 16" seems like it might have been the perfect one for me year round. Well, except for when the wife rides with me. I do prefer more protection to keep the wife warm and dry.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have both an RT (tall, movable up/down windshield) and a F3 (short/fixed) windshield.

Been with RT's since 2010. Became fixated that I needed a tall windshield to survive. Bought the F3 a year ago and was going to have a tall windshield installed at the dealer. Decided not to, and went along with my own advice (drive it 500 to a 1000 miles). A year later and 12,000 plus miles, I am still happy with the low OEM windshield on the F3. In the subsequent year, I have been through rain, cold, etc. and have never felt the need for taller.

That's my .02.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-18-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Like you, the stock windshield is good enough for me about 6-8 months out of the year. I been searching for a perfect size to work in the colder weather. I just picked up a used 21" F4 from someone local. It seems to work great. But I do wish I had heard about the Jurock one earlier. That 16" seems like it might have been the perfect one for me year round. Well, except for when the wife rides with me. I do prefer more protection to keep the wife warm and dry.
    If you are like me and are in the "I look over the windshield" population, the thing I do to determine what height w/s I want, I clip or tape a piece of cardboard to the present w/s and go for a ride. I move the cardboard up until the top is at the height I want and take a measurement.
    I like having a variety of windshields to accommodate the weather. 7Juock windshields are so reasonably priced that I can afford to have that variety and they work with me to give me what I want.

Spyder Garage

If you are like me and are in the "I look over the windshield" population, the thing I do to determine what height w/s I want, I clip or tape a piece of cardboard to the present w/s and go for a ride. I move the cardboard up until the top is at the height I want and take a measurement.
    Clever idea -- how you ride can't be duplicated in the shop.

I rode so many years/miles behind a Windjammer that I became accustomed to looking through a windshield. The current trend is to look over, but it doesn't matter to me.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I rode so many years/miles behind a Windjammer that I became accustomed to looking through a windshield. The current trend is to look over, but it doesn't matter to me.
    I must be squeamish - I prefer not to have to look through bug guts.

Spyder Garage

That’s because Idaho has ridden through before you and cleared them all out for you Ric

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    That’s because Idaho has ridden through before you and cleared them all out for you Ric

Pete
    That reminds me of one time when I lived in Louisiana. It was Love Bug season. I was on I-12 heading west toward Baton Rouge on my way to work. In front of me was a box style delivery truck. I saw a huge black solid cloud of love bugs ahead. When the truck went though it, I swear, there has a big square hole in that cloud of bugs!!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

One word... buffeting.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

I bought a 7JRock 14" thinking that would be enough since the OE 12'' did a fair job. Down the road a few miles and realized 14" wasn't enough so I ordered a 16".

This size is pretty darn good for me.....flows wind over helmet pretty well (still need face shield down above 50mph) with little buffeting. I do get wind around the sides which hit outer edge of my arms. I believe 17" would be perfect for me....I'm 5-10. Not sure I could see over an 18".

PS: if someone can use a 14" and 16" I can make u a deal on both sold together. I'd like to try a 17". PM if interested
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Need a tall shield to keep the bugs off my teeth because I'm smiling so much.

I prefer to look over the shield and not have buffeting------------ thus a well vented windshield to fill the bubble of still air.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I believe 17" would be perfect for me....I'm 5-10. Not sure I could see over an 18".
    I am also 5-10 and the 18" 7Jurock with a flip and 9" wider does a fantastic job of keeping my wind free. The flip works well at pushing the air higher - it is well over my helmet.
    If your torso measures the same as mine, you will see well over the w/s and even at 18", it could have been an inch or two taller and still see over it. Try the thing with a piece of carboard clipped to the top of your w/s and go for a ride. Raise it 'til it's at that perfect height and measure. Do not do this with the bike parked in the garage. I did, and that's why mine could be higher. Learn from my mistake.
    Lastly; always get the flip because it works like it's a taller windshield. And 7Jurock measures from the bottom to top of the w/s itself, along the centerline.