Spyder Garage

Default Ride like you're invisible.

This is why you should ride like you're invisible, because to some people you are. The guy in the blue car came out of the Chevron parking lot while the gray car was still blocking his view of on coming traffic. Luckily I had already spotted him ahead of time, so I was prepared for him to do something stupid. That look of absolute terror on his face though was priceless.

Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Unfortunate - glad you are safe

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Always good to be looking ahead, far ahead and it is not always cars or deer.

I remember heading home after an evening shift at Sylmar Converter Station, circa 1978, on a 1976 Honda CB750 F.
    It was winter, I was cold (could have used a better jacket for 18 mile commute).
    Simi Freeway was empty, no headlights in mirrors, no taillights ahead.
    I cranked it on up the grade, probably out driving my high beam.
    Barely in time I saw a mattress on the #2 lane, dead ahead.
    A lane change sufficed, but had I been inattentive...
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

good advice....whats that white stuff on the ground?
    2018 F3s, 2016 versys 650LT, 2001 concours 1000

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mully View Post
    good advice....whats that white stuff on the ground?
    A harbinger of things to come.....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

i'm closing in on 130,000 miles of smiles on my various 3 SPYD3RS.....
    i can't tell you just how many CLOSE CALLS i've had, and just how INVISABLE we all are... 2 wheels, 3 wheels, 4 wheels or even 18 wheels.... some people JUST DO NOT CARE about the rest of the world around them...
    KUDO's to your video, i'm passing it onto my closets 1000 emails frenz.... thx & Merry Christmas, and hope to hell 2021 is a lot better than 2020....
    Dan
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not to detract from the very sound advice to "ride like you are invisible" (which to many, we are), I had zero close calls during 6,000 miles on the Ryker.
    Perhaps it is the width or dual headlights, but a Y machine may be more visible than a M/C.

I do not recall any close calls on the Honda CB1100 (12,000+ miles in 10 months), but had a few on the Moto Guzzi V7II (3 on one trip):

Post one

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread...2010629&page=3
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A car is more visible than Spyder, a truck is more visible than a car, a semi is more visible than a truck, a fire truck is
    more visible than a semi, and a locomotive is more visible than a fire truck. Yet people continue to pull out in front of all of
    them.

If you don't ride as if you're invisible, you most likely will be smitten by the dolts. In this era of cell phones, electronic
    dashboards, and YouTube, you'd best have your head on a swivel all the time.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

One of the closest calls I've ever had was in a roundabout. I was in the proper lane, wearing my screaming high-viz gear ... and could tell the person merging in from the right didn't realize I was RIGHT THERE.

She finally did stop. So did I, about 5 feet from her SUV's hood. We just stared at each other. I could tell she was horrified by what she had nearly done.

Spyder Garage

It seems as though that after I've been riding my Rally like a ghost for a while now. I actually do more head swiveling while in my Van or on my bicycle. I'm always doing a double/triple take before pulling out. I think riding a cageless 2-3 wheeler cautiously carries over into driving the 4 wheelers.

Spyder Garage

For those who might be wondering, I didn't flip the driver off. On a scale of one to five, I rated his driving as a one.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    ...always doing a double/triple take before pulling out. I think riding a cageless 2-3 wheeler cautiously carries over into driving the 4 wheelers.
    Yeeeah man. No Doubt.
    Since I’ve gotten a Spyder, driving my truck anymore... you’d think I got paid by the head turn.

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    For those who might be wondering, I didn't flip the driver off. On a scale of one to five, I rated his driving as a one.
    HHAAAAAAA
    2019 SpYder F3-T
    +Lamonster Mirror Locks AMEN! | +Lamonster FogLights | +MadStad Windsheild | +Dual A-Arm Running Lights
    +Spyclops LED Light | +SpyderExtras Grille | +TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors
    ...and what dreams may come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    That's fine except for the lack of camo gloves and WHITE shoes! Not much of a soldier, is he?

Spyder Garage

I tried an internet search but couldn't find anything specific but I would bet that anyone who has ridden 2 or 3 wheels has a lower accident rate in their 4 wheel vehicles than those who have not. You just get tuned up, made more aware on 2/3 wheels and I notice it in my own driving even with a career in EMS and many high performance driving schools.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

one is being generous. Dale