Spyder Garage

Default Transamerica Trail

Would it be ridiculous to do the TAT on a Spyder? Have done half in my truck, N.C. to Trinidad, and with exception of a little single track just wondering if anyone has contemplated this? Any single tracks can be easily bypassed and still see the same country. What model would you choose?

I'm thinking one of the F3s or even the base RT, both for storage capacity, solo rider. Maybe the belt drive would be an issue as most roads are gravel but 10-20% tarmac? I see there is a belt protector. If rain the dirt parts can get muddy but can bypass.

https://www.transamtrail.com

Spyder Garage

I’m no expert but I would think a Ryker would be better for all dirt roads. I have a buddy that has a Ryker 900 rally and runs it everywhere on gravel run roads in Wyoming. You can look up many different posts dealing with luggage. I’ve seen then pretty loaded. The seat would probably need updated. Not all the bells and whistles but you wouldn’t have to it worry about the dirt roads.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Man I don’t know about a Spyder or Ryker on the TAT; a lot of rock gardens to negotiate. Probably wouldn’t have any Tupperware left on the bike after you were done. Visit gpskevin online -he has some TAT like routes but also has trans-con routes for street bikes. Good luck and bring back videos!

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

All good points. Thinking Ryker too small but they would handle dirt better. I believe they are shaft drive, is that right? Currently planning a XMAX trip this summer but also taking the Can AM class and then looking at 2022. More sensible I suppose to look at Kevins x-country routes although I'm mostly familiar with those possibilities. Was throwing this idea out to see some expert opinions. Yes, I should probably stick to the paved versions but winter always has a way of pushing the imaginary trips.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    All good points. Thinking Ryker too small but they would handle dirt better. I believe they are shaft drive, is that right? Currently planning a XMAX trip this summer but also taking the Can AM class and then looking at 2022. More sensible I suppose to look at Kevins x-country routes although I'm mostly familiar with those possibilities. Was throwing this idea out to see some expert opinions. Yes, I should probably stick to the paved versions but winter always has a way of pushing the imaginary trips.
    It looks like you may not be a rider yet. Might want to get a couple K miles on to see how you like the operation of a Spyder for such a trip. For mostly dirt roads, I think the Ryker is best suited. Many considerations. Please keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Correct, not a rider yet. Will take class in spring. I suspect in the long run the RT would suit my longer road trips, the Ryker for dirt, TAT type riding. I'm learning a lot from this forum so will be somewhat informed beforehand once I ride them or talk to my dealer about it. Do have Can Am experience with my Defender but of course not the same, though has been reliable. Have ridden ATVs a lot in the past and now my XMAX and past bikes. The dealer here has been good, sells a fair number of Spyders.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Would it be ridiculous to do the TAT on a Spyder? Have done half in my truck, N.C. to Trinidad, and with exception of a little single track just wondering if anyone has contemplated this? Any single tracks can be easily bypassed and still see the same country. What model would you choose?

I'm thinking one of the F3s or even the base RT, both for storage capacity, solo rider. Maybe the belt drive would be an issue as most roads are gravel but 10-20% tarmac? I see there is a belt protector. If rain the dirt parts can get muddy but can bypass.

https://www.transamtrail.com
    It would be good if they had more detailed maps to get a better idea of the trails and roads involved. I don't see any good info on their website that gives an accurate idea where the routes really are and what they are like.

An alternative would be the Backcountry Discovery Routes, https://ridebdr.com/. They cover the mountain west and northeast US. In either case I think a Ryker makes the most sense. In fact one of my bucket list items is to get a Ryker and do the Idaho BDR. The challenge with Idaho routes is there is no readily accessible alternative to the really narrow rough sections.

I have no idea how much of the TAT routes are in restricted Federal lands, but in many National Forest areas the trails are restricted (with posts and boulders) to vehicles no more that 50" in width. That can complicate even using a Ryker.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If one wants to ride the original Transamerica Trail, the bicycle route created by a nonprofit organization named Bikecentennial for the nation's bicentennial, go to this link, https://www.adventurecycling.org/ and you'll see a transcontinental route from Astoria, OR to Yorktown, VA. It is all on backroads and a fantastic way to see our beautiful country. I pedaled it in 2001 and had a great time. It is ideal Spyder ryding country. You will have to purchase the maps but they are the same caliber as Butler Motorcycle Maps which followed a good lead.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

In all honesty if you took any stock Spyder/Ryker on all of the TAT it will be destroyed. 4-5 inches of clearance and all of that plastic is a recipe for disaster on those heavily rutted, boulder strewn tracks. Much better to take a used dual sport you don’t mind leaving if it has its last gasp on the trail. Hate to see someone flush $12k down the toilet. Watch some UTUBE vids on the Western portion of the TAT and you will agree. Someone did have a hardened “off road” Spyder for sale at one time on this forum- might give you ideas. Good luck!

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

My brother went from Tenn to the west coast riding the TAT, on a dirt bike. He shared hundreds of pics. I wouldn't even consider it on a Spyder, or anything with more than 2 wheels from what I saw.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I agree a Spyder would not be adequate although I think a Ryker could do most of it. I did NC to CO in my truck and only bypassed a few sections. A great way to see the country. I did it right after Easter one year so the leaves were't on all the trees so the views were terrific. Later in Spring the vegetation will block so many of the distant views and vistas.