Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

On my third Spyder and do not run high test gas! I have always run the cheapest gas in mine with no problems ( 10 percent ethanol). I don't use high test gas because so few cars use it today that your chance of getting some with water in it is a highly good chance! I tied to buy it for my Harley's, but on the road I alway had problems getting good fuel, so I decided to use regular! I don't think 15 percent ethanol would work, but the normal regular works with no problems!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    The 1330 may be a better engine than the 998, but it's my understanding that the 1330 engine requires premium gas. I long since decided I don't want to buy any vehicle requiring premium gas, not just because of the extra fuel cost but because many gas stations don't even sell it. As an example, the only gas station in my town sells only E-10 and diesel. I did an impromptu check in the larger town nearest here, and of eleven stations I checked only five had premium gas.
    I've owned three Spyders since 09 ... Always used reg. , mostly with ethyl .... my 14 RT with 1330 has 56,000 happy miles using reg also.... if you check your owners manual it does NOT SAY " requires premium " .... premium is Only recommended .... big difference in the meaning ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    The 1330 may be a better engine than the 998, but it's my understanding that the 1330 engine requires premium gas. I long since decided I don't want to buy any vehicle requiring premium gas, not just because of the extra fuel cost but because many gas stations don't even sell it. As an example, the only gas station in my town sells only E-10 and diesel. I did an impromptu check in the larger town nearest here, and of eleven stations I checked only five had premium gas.
    My experience concerning gas/octane, etc. I have now had six different Spyders. Four 998 twins, and two 1330 triples. IMO, both are great platforms but each has their quirks.

From 2008 through 2017 or so, I faithfully used the highest test gas I could find. That was 91 Octane, if memory serves me right. Alaska gas with no ethanol added. Around 2017 or so, I started listening to some others on the site: BlueKnight was one. I tried the 87 octane/ no ethanol available in AK and actually liked it. I did not notice any performance issues, or mileage issues. I always got 31 mpg give or take a small % on the 998's and get 40 mpg on the 1330's. The F3 does a tad better, but is is no more than 1 mpg over the 2014 RT.

Fast forward to 2019 and the move to Arkansas. We use 87 octane and 10% ethanol blend. 24K miles later, and the results are the same. No effect in performance or mileage.

There are many who will disagree, but that is okay. It works for us and we are happy with the results.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We are still looking. Found a 2012 GS asking $8K with 6K miles at a car dealer. 8 hour drive. All the ones that are in nicer shape are 4 to 8 hours away. Anyone here near Coeburn,VA?