Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2008 GS Thinking of purchase

Back in 2007/08 when Spyderlovers was brand new, I ordered an SM-5. Got number 200 off the line and drove it for 2 years. Got out of the spyder scene and messed with two wheels for a few years. Now, being over 10 years older and possibly a bit wiser, we are thinking of purchasing another. Attached is a pic of one near us here in SC.

Here is the words from the ad:

2008 Can-Am GS Spyder
    "Very nice Spyder with just 10K miles on it, 998cc water cooled V-twin engine, 5 speed plus reverse, upgrades include 6 spoke custom wheels, black side panels, performance exhaust by Hindle, backrest, handlebar risers!"

NADA says an average of around $6000. It is at a consignment shop which is a good established business near me. I looked at various Spyders in Cycletrader and CL by dealers, and their prices are around the same as this one: $7495. It has 10,854 miles. I guess my biggest question is (assuming it is in great running condition) What would YOU offer?

Any feedback/comments are welcome. Thank Y'all! And it's great to see Spyderlovers is still doing well after 13 years!

Brad in North Myrtle Beach,SC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I paid $5700 for a well kept 08, with 13k miles (#224) knowing I was sending to the dealer for a 14k inspection, new tires, new battery. That dealer visit was $2k but I now know its good for long while and a reliable ride.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

I just pick one up an 08 this summer for $6,300 with 10K miles. I took it to the dealer after purchase and he told me it was in great shape.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We just bought a 2013 STS-SM5, in perfect condition, in August with 4,500 miles for $7200. So I'm thinking between $5,000-$6,000.
    But JMO of course.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Welcome back. This 08/GS was the one that started the whole Spyder thing. I also had one. 08/GS/SM5. I got the first one purchased in Alaska. It was a great machine for me. Since then have been lucky enough to work my way through 5 more various Spyders. Still have two.

The $6K price is very good. I would start by offering $4.5K and working your way up. The only potential problem, which I am sure you know, is that lack of miles could be an issue. A full servicing including tires if they are still the originals would be recommended.

Let us know what you do. Good to see you back on the site. 2007 is very early for original sign up. You have most of us beat on that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

2007 is very early for original sign up. You have most of us beat on that.
    I used to hang out over at Spydertalk before Lamont spotted me and bribed me to come here. LOL.He was still building the website. We both were waiting for our deliveries back then. It was an exciting time, as I recall. I was in Seattle,WA when my wife back in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan drove into central WI to pick up #200. She put on the first 1000 miles on it before I ever laid eyes on it. I first time I got to sit on it and drive it forward and backward 4 feet in the garage that Christmas. I don't suppose anyone here knows of the whereabouts of "Ol' Number 200?"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by draboo View Post
    I used to hang out over at Spydertalk before Lamont spotted me and bribed me to come here. LOL.He was still building the website. We both were waiting for our deliveries back then. It was an exciting time, as I recall. I was in Seattle,WA when my wife back in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan drove into central WI to pick up #200. She put on the first 1000 miles on it before I ever laid eyes on it. I first time I got to sit on it and drive it forward and backward 4 feet in the garage that Christmas. I don't suppose anyone here knows of the whereabouts of "Ol' Number 200?"
    That is a good question about #200. Anyone know?????

Similar stories, also was on ST for awhile many years back. Waited 8 months before I saw mine after putting in a deposit, sight unseen of course.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-15-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I went and looked that that Spyder in the above picture. It's weird how something can look so great in a picture,then when you see it in person, it ain't so hot.

This Spyder is one of those.

The paint job is atrocious. I can still smell the black paint, and it is dull. A crappy paint job. And I think I understand why. It has been sitting outside. The master cylinder for the clutch is all discolored from the weather. The Hindle muffler looks like battery acid got spilled on it. My nose tells me this dealer did all the paint and it was done to cover up whatever. This evaluation took a total of 3 minutes at the outside.

Oh, well. We are still looking, casually.

thanks, everyone for the input,eh?

Brad

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Oh, one other thing: Ol' Number 200 was purchased out of Lifestyles Honda, a Spyder dealer, in Mt Vernon, WA. I traded it in in 2011, I think. Maybe 2010.

Spyder Garage

I went and looked that that Spyder in the above picture. It's weird how something can look so great in a picture,then when you see it in person, it ain't so hot.

This Spyder is one of those.

The paint job is atrocious. I can still smell the black paint, and it is dull. A crappy paint job. And I think I understand why. It has been sitting outside. The master cylinder for the clutch is all discolored from the weather. The Hindle muffler looks like battery acid got spilled on it. My nose tells me this dealer did all the paint and it was done to cover up whatever. This evaluation took a total of 3 minutes at the outside.

Oh, well. We are still looking, casually.

thanks, everyone for the input,eh?

Brad
    There are a lot of good 's out there. Start with SL for sale of course.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

There are a lot of good 's out there. Start with SL for sale of course.

Agreed- I think there is a GS for sale now in the “For Sale” section

2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Drabo: To welcome you back, if you get a 998, I have two of the small Hiflow filters leftover from my '11 that I'd like to send you as a freebie.

I was away also for a few years too, but found a '16 F3T this spring that I've been enjoying a lot. PM me when/if you get a 998.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome back Darboo!! Glad to see your looking at Spyders again.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Welcome Back!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome back. There are quite a few spyders in our region for sale (I live just north of you in NC). For about $7k you should be able to find a 2011 or newer RSS. I had a 2012 RSS back in 2016, but I traded it for my 2016 F3T. I do wish I had another RSS, as they just sound so cool, and give me that sport bike feeling again, but with a safer feeling. Give marketplace on Facebook a try. Good luck with your search.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome back, good luck with the search.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is a good question about #200. Anyone know?????
    Sounds like a good idea for a new sticky thread. "Where is #XXXX?" or something similar.

Spyder Garage

You or Draboo, or anyone else are welcome to try to find #200 PE by starting a new thread.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

First, I would not consider buying anything under a 2014 year model with the 1330 engine. There has been so much improvements on the Spyder since you owned one, you will not believe it unless you ride both! I have owned a 2013 RTL, a 2016 RTL, and now a 2018 F3L, and I assure you there has been a lot of improvement including gas mileage in all the years since 2008! Is the reliability any better, you can decide that by reading this forum! The 1330 engine alone is worth paying a few thousand dollars more. If you look, you can find a 2014 year model at a very reasonable price, because the Spyder doesn't seem to hold it's value that well! Just my two senses worth, but the 1330 engine is worth a lot more to your riding experience!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    If you look, you can find a 2014 year model at a very reasonable price, because the Spyder doesn't seem to hold it's value that well! Just my two senses worth, but the 1330 engine is worth a lot more to your riding experience!
    I never thought about that. Do all the 2014 Spyders have the 1330 engine? I did find this 2016 RS SM5 for under $10K, which I thought wasn't a bad price. 10K miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nope, some 2014 Spyders have the twin, and I think they didn't discontinue the twin until 2018? Not sure exactly what year.

The F3's are all 1330 cc.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

The last year for the V-Twin was 2016. Same year was the end of the line for the ST model, which never got the 1330.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

The 1330 may be a better engine than the 998, but it's my understanding that the 1330 engine requires premium gas. I long since decided I don't want to buy any vehicle requiring premium gas, not just because of the extra fuel cost but because many gas stations don't even sell it. As an example, the only gas station in my town sells only E-10 and diesel. I did an impromptu check in the larger town nearest here, and of eleven stations I checked only five had premium gas.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    The 1330 may be a better engine than the 998, but it's my understanding that the 1330 engine requires premium gas. I long since decided I don't want to buy any vehicle requiring premium gas, not just because of the extra fuel cost but because many gas stations don't even sell it. As an example, the only gas station in my town sells only E-10 and diesel. I did an impromptu check in the larger town nearest here, and of eleven stations I checked only five had premium gas.
    I thought it was the other way round?!?

Certainly the 998 V-Twin motors are the higher revving, more 'exciting' to ryde motors (albeit nothing much 'til about 3500 rpm, but then HANG ON & WHOOPEE all the way out to well over 8,000 rpm) especially in the GS/RS/ST versions; while the 1330 Triples in all the F3's & 2014-on RT's are the lower revving & 'lazier' engines that will admittedly pull like a train just off idle but don't ever really startle you or snap your neck, cos they do produce close to max torque right off from about 1000 rpm then hold it pretty much all the way right out to their red line... except that's not much over 5000 rpm.....

And if you get the ECU Upgraded on either, even just if only to take advantage of a bit more of the power & torque BRP took from both powerplants when they de-tuned them significantly for our Spyders, then you will likely see a marked improvement from running higher octane fuel in either motor..... but I didn't think the 1330's really cared all that much in their stock & strangled, de-tuned factory set condition!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I never thought about that. Do all the 2014 Spyders have the 1330 engine? I did find this 2016 RS SM5 for under $10K, which I thought wasn't a bad price. 10K miles.
    Looks like a solid price. As a recent purchaser of GS I have been pleasantly surprised in the ride, power, fit & finish seems to be very high and the v-twin exhaust note is sweet. I personally don’t like the looks of the 2014-2019 RT. I like the F3 but in the end the ability to pick up a V-Twin at half the price of an F3 was too good to pass up.

2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3