Spyder Garage

Default Trouble shifting into reverse

My 2019 F3 base model with 4600 miles on it is giving me problems by not shifting into reverse. This started a couple of days ago, when I first take off it seems fine but as my riding progresses the shifting gets a little tighter and not as smooth. It will downshift ok on its own but I always downshift manually when driving it. Today I went to the store and when I tried to get it into reverse, it won't shift. What do you all think the issue might be?

Thanks, Arcamguy
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamguy View Post
    My 2019 F3 base model with 4600 miles on it is giving me problems by not shifting into reverse. This started a couple of days ago, when I first take off it seems fine but as my riding progresses the shifting gets a little tighter and not as smooth. It will downshift ok on its own but I always downshift manually when driving it. Today I went to the store and when I tried to get it into reverse, it won't shift. What do you all think the issue might be?

Thanks, Arcamguy
    I recall reading posts here that have mentioned this issue with newer F-3's ..... from your description it sounds like it is the Paddle shifter as opposed to it being a transmission problem ...... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Taking a stab here.....Do you have your foot on the brake when attempting to go into reverse? Beyond this, I'm not much help.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

There have been issues over the years with the gear position sensor, one MY had a recall for it due to contamination. That can cause shifting issues.

This thread has some other suggestions including tapping the shift paddle twice:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...osition+sensor

Assuming you have done the 4600 miles I'm guessing you know how to operate the shift so presuming it's not operator error.

I've had mine refuse to shift in really wet weather and thought it must be an electrical short of some sort. It has always returned to normal when dry.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

I had trouble when I first got mine and found that making sure your foot is on the break, making sure the parking brake is on, And about once a month I blow all my controls out with my compressor. Canned air works just as good. Do not use contact cleaner.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Taking a stab here.....Do you have your foot on the brake when attempting to go into reverse? Beyond this, I'm not much help.
    Foot on brake is not necessary to shift into reverse. At least not on the RT that is.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Speaking for my F3L, I must have my foot the brake to go into reverse and the same to go into first. Even from neutral.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Speaking for my F3L, I must have my foot the brake to go into reverse and the same to go into first. Even from neutral.
    You sure? Instructions in the owner's guides are identical for F3 & RT. No foot on brake needed to go into reverse from either 1st or neutral, but foot on brake is needed to shift into 1st from either reverse or neutral, or to shift from reverse into neutral. I just now tried it. Of course you have to press the R button to go into reverse.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

On my Spyder F3s 2019, I have to use the brake pedal, to shift to reverse, and first gear, don't know if it's a legal thing, required in some country's or states?
    the failsafe switch on mine was loose, and didn't connect all the time, after a good tightening, it functions flawlessy.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black