Thread: 2020+ RT trunk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020+ RT trunk

Might be interested in a good condition 2020+ trunk for my 2021 RT base model. Not in a big hurry and don't want to pay tons of money. Petrol Metallic (blue) or black, preferred as my bike is Petrol Metallic. No lock is fine as I have the extra that came with my bike and I'd swap it out anyway.

Looking for a deep discount over new. (I'm NOT paying 2 grand.) It's a long shot but maybe someone out there bought a Limited trim and has a trunk that's collecting dust or maybe someone bought a trunk for their base model and never used it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Still looking.

Spyder Garage

Will the LinQ Rack and an after market topcase work for you? Shad or Givi cases plus the rack < $1000.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Will the LinQ Rack and an after market topcase work for you? Shad or Givi cases plus the rack < $1000.
    The biggest LinQ bag is much smaller than the RT top case. It doesn't look very good although if I needed a little more room for a trip and can't find a top case, it might be an option. I'd still rather have an official top case.

Spyder Garage

Monk, I got to ask, in hindsight do you wish you had on ahead and got a limited?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Monk, I got to ask, in hindsight do you wish you had gone ahead and got a limited?
    Good question. Probably not but I've wondered the same thing. The only Limited items I really want are the Signature lights (the "eyebrow" lights on the front of the bike), frunk liner and the top case. The Signature lights are $189 and are easy to install although time consuming (you have to remove the front of the bike which appears much easier than on the previous generation...I'll have to remove the front of the bike anyway to install the frunk liner). The top case isn't something I knew I wanted until recently. Stupidly easy to install but pricey. Had I gotten the Limited originally, I would have paid about $4k more but could have financed everything at a much lower interest rate than my credit cards. I think, even with the higher interest rate and even if I bought a brand new $2049 top case from BuRP, I'll end up with less money in it going this way. There are some things the Limited "offers" that I just don't have a need or desire for (i.e. heated seats, heated passenger grips, auto leveling suspension). I always fly solo, I've never had to add more than a pound or 2 of air to the base suspension and I rode yesterday in temps barely above freezing and still didn't feel the need for a butt warmer. I've also felt like the base model looks much sportier.

I'll find a top case eventually. Might be soon, might not, but eventually someone who either got the Limited trim or who bought one for their base model will decide they don't use it enough to justify it sitting around collecting dust. If I eventually decide I don't want to wait any longer, I'll buy a new one although that won't be the best decision financially.

Spyder Garage

I know how u feel. I bought my 16 F3T in Feb 17, all the new top cases were going on 17 limited and I had to wait till April
    for an available seperate unit. But I did get it included with the sale of the bike.
    The dealer shipped it to me and I installed it myself.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

hi, Monk
    try linQ Rack then Mount SHAD 58X TOP CASE TO IT , TOTAL INVESTMENT AROUND $750
    NOTED i HAVE A 2020 RT BASE ALSO BLACK & BLUE , PICKED UP 12/3/20 .
    Will be doing above this spring .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RT101 View Post
    hi, Monk
    try linQ Rack then Mount SHAD 58X TOP CASE TO IT , TOTAL INVESTMENT AROUND $750
    NOTED i HAVE A 2020 RT BASE ALSO BLACK & BLUE , PICKED UP 12/3/20 .
    Will be doing above this spring .
    I looked at that top case. Not sure how it would mount to the LinQ base but I can't see that it would look as good as an RT top case. The only LinQ "bag" I might consider is item 219401039. (I'll add a screenshot below as it doesn't appear to be on sale yet being a 2021 accessory.) That item is big enough that it looks "right". I'd have $750 in that and the LinQ base and I don't think it will hold a helmet but it would hold quite a bit and again, it looks "right" (or at least more "right" than the other bags/cases).

If I haven't found a solution or a top case by spring, shoot me some pics of the installation of your Shad bag and some of the finished product.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I measured the area where the Shad 58X would be and it actually looks like it would fit fairly well. I'd have to drill/tap holes in a $310 LinQ base to install it but that's probably do-able. No lights so I'd have to improvise w/one of our vendors.

Anybody good with Photoshop or similar? I'd like to see what it would look like before I drop a ton of money on this.

Spyder Garage

Hi, shad has accessories for 58x top case
    Including led lights & Inside travel bag.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RT101 View Post
    Hi, shad has accessories for 58x top case
    Including led lights & Inside travel bag.
    I don't care much for the travel bag but the LED lights might work if I go this route. I think the LinQ base would end up an a slight angle so, if the Shad bag was level, there would be a space at the rear between the bag and base plate. The LED light might fit well there to cover that gap and add extra (needed) lights. This would also mean I'd have to add spacers in the back between the Shad mounting bracket and the LinQ base plate. I'd also have to drill and tap holes in the LinQ base plate. If I went this route, I'd also cut a round hole in the middle of the Shad base plate so I could access the release dial on the LinQ base or I'd have to completely dismantle everything if I wanted to remove the Shad box and put the RT (base) cover back on. I'd guess the holes in the LinQ base plate would need to be drilled at a slight angle. I'm not sure I'm up for this task but I'll give it some thought if I can't find an RT top case.

It's given me food for thought. I'd still like to find someone with some mad Photoshop skills so I can see exactly what it would look like. I also want to know if the Shad case can be painted.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good luck on your search for a top case. I have thought about doing a post for the same thing, but for a top case that will fit a 2016 F3T. My reasons for going with the F3T instead of the new 2017 Limited (they were out when I bought my F3T) was because of the larger sprocket that was available on the F3T. I drove both, and decided that the added off line acceleration was more important to me. But the top case would be nice for when the wife is riding with me. I don't need it when I am riding alone, even if I go on a multi day trip (I ride solo 97% of the time). But it would be nice to have the added back support for the wife. She still would complain about it not being as supportive as the RT that we had, but with her limited seat time, I am OK with that. Good luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I end up doing this, I'll ride over and let you (and her) sit on it to see what you think. Not sure how you would mount this on your F3 as there isn't a LinQ base available for your bike but you're handier than I am so you could probably make it work. If I can figure out how to drill holes at an angle and make/source angled spacers, I might do this. I also want to see if this is paintable. The cheapest option is the faux carbon fiber top version. The all black version adds another 100 bucks. I'm sure the "carbon fiber" version isn't really carbon fiber, just plastic so I'd think I could rattle can it all black.

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea (especially since it would cost well under $1000 depending on whether I'd need a shop to drill/tap the holes and make some angled spacers.

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer??

I also purchased the 2020 RT Base and instead of the rear trunk i am thinking of a trailer later after i get more experience on the Spyder. Aftermarket are pretty cheap but then there is the back seat (i have lots of lil kiddos in our family that want rides) on the Trunk.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigb47715 View Post
    I also purchased the 2020 RT Base and instead of the rear trunk i am thinking of a trailer later after i get more experience on the Spyder. Aftermarket are pretty cheap but then there is the back seat (i have lots of lil kiddos in our family that want rides) on the Trunk.
    I'm the only one ever on the bike. I don't need a trailer but it's a good idea. I'm looking for a little more capacity, especially for a helmet and some misc stuff. The helmet fits in the frunk but I've usually got stuff in there already.

Since the possibility of getting an OEM trunk for the price I want to pay is slim to not bloody likely, I think I'm going to do what RT101 suggested and buy a LinQ base plate and a Shad SH58X box. I found a LinQ base plate for a good price (assuming it's not one of those too-good-to-be-true things) and I'll order the Shad box this weekend. Not sure how I'll put them together yet so it doesn't look cobbled up but I'll come up with something or I'll start a new thread and ask there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'm the only one ever on the bike. I don't need a trailer but it's a good idea.
    If you think you're going to do any traveling, a trailer comes in very handy. My wife and I both pull a trailer.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    If you think you're going to do any traveling, a trailer comes in very handy. My wife and I both pull a trailer.
    Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, I can rarely do more than a long weekend trip. Most of my rides are day rides.

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2020 RT base model. Does the topcase mount directly to the bike or do you need a mount bracket also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joevitelli View Post
    I also have a 2020 RT base model. Does the topcase mount directly to the bike or do you need a mount bracket also.
    The OEM top case mounts directly to the bike. I didn't feel like spending over $2k for an OEM top case so, as Frank Sinatra used to say, I did it my way. If you add an aftermarket top case, you'll need to mount it to "something". The best was I could find was to mount it to the BuRP LinQ cover.