Spyder Garage

Default Temp gauge dropped to 'C' while ryding!? Why?

Cool morning here...about 45 degrees. Did some errands locally and temp read normal. Got on freeway and there’s plenty of cool air. The temp gauge dropped almost completely to the “C”....

Does this not have a thermostat to regulate? Or, is the operating temp not an issue unless it’s high?

Jerry

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    Cool morning here...about 45 degrees. Did some errands locally and temp read normal. Got on freeway and there’s plenty of cool air. The temp gauge dropped almost completely to the “C”....

Does this not have a thermostat to regulate? Or, is the operating temp not an issue unless it’s high?

Jerry
    Well it depends on where the sensor is located in the system..... if it's down stream from the temp regulator, it won't register anything until the regulator opens to allow flow to the Radiator itself ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

The temp gauge on my RT varied greatly with the ambient temperature. I never had a problem. To answer your other question, yes there is a thermostat.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"C" stands for COOL, as in if you're riding a Spyder/Ryker, you're cool!

Spyder Garage

If you crossed into Mexico, it changes automatically to centigrade.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I would check coolant level. It may be low and getting air pockets which will fluctuate the temp gage.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Probably due to design configuration of the cooling system.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Chief. There’s nothing wrong with anything. You have the 998 v twin. I know. It’s weird. But that’s what they do. The reason...The thermostat is external to the engine. So the coolant bypass flow path - the coolant circulation that bypasses the radiator when a thermostat is closed - gives up a lot of heat just traveling out to the thermostat housing and right back to the engine. On a cool morning / day this is normal. You’re fine. Be safe.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Over the last five Spyders, I have noted that colder weather riding, the temp gauge will take longer to get up to temperature, and the temp is usually about one bar less than "normal" for the first half hour or so. Then...it should work its way to the "usual" place on the dial.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice. It does run at temp (center of the dial) while cruising in town in stop and go traffic in the cold. I had never ridden it on the freeway at 70mph in the cold and was worried the temp may be below operating temperature. Glad to hear it is normal in such cold weather.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    Thanks for the advice. It does run at temp (center of the dial) while cruising in town in stop and go traffic in the cold. I had never ridden it on the freeway at 70mph in the cold and was worried the temp may be below operating temperature. Glad to hear it is normal in such cold weather.
    Running the freeway in the cold at speed will bring down the temperature gauge a bit. I consider it "normal" operation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

At speed, 50-60 + MPH the thermostat regulates temp> Less speed temp is regulated by the coolant fan which comes on over 220 degrees on most vehicles. Autumobiles have worked this way for 40 years.
    My 2013 RTL always worked this way since new. If you haven't checked coolant and or flushed the system maybe you should. Otherwise it is working normal.

Spyder Garage

Not to be a jerk but water temp is constantly regulated by thermostat regardless of speed. It opens and closes based on temp. The reason you hear the fans at slower speeds and stopped is due to low air flow through radiators. Sender picks up higher temp and cycles fans on.

Spyder Garage

I think you both are saying the same thing!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl