Spyder Garage

Default Differences between '20 and '21 RT?

Are there any differences or upgrades/improvements the 2021 RT models have compared to the 2020 RT versions? I'm shopping for a lightly used, pre-owned base model RT, and need to know if there are any deal breakers for me if I settle for the first year model.
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No change at all that we know of other than the year on the title. I bought a 2020RTL in July and my brother bought a 2021RTL in October. Identical color, Limited. Only difference now is I have 4580 miles, he has 300, his loss!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that info; what I wanted to hear. Looks like there are a few discounted left-over 2020 models around the country if a person is willing to travel a bit. Maybe not the best time of year to contemplate a fly-n-ride to Minnesota, but that's why they sell heated underwear.
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are (3) different "years" we're talking about. 2020, 2021 EARLY and 2021 LATE. 2021s built after November, 2020 (I think I have the month correct) are considered 2021 LATE models. The 2020s and 2021 EARLYs are identical. The 2021 LATEs have (2) slight differences. There's a bit more sound deadening in the fairing and they changed to a quieter front sprocket. That's it. I bought a 2021 EARLY and have no issues with it.

NOTE: If you buy a 2020, remove the rear seat and look to see if there are zip ties or bolts just inboard of the front of the passenger grips. The big complaint with the earlier 2020s was that BuRP miscast the rear section. The only way they could get those bolt holes aligned was to use zip ties. There's a fix and most new 2020s have probably already been taken care of but something to watch out for.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    There are (3) different "years" we're talking about. 2020, 2021 EARLY and 2021 LATE. 2021s built after November, 2020 (I think I have the month correct) are considered 2021 LATE models. The 2020s and 2021 EARLYs are identical. The 2021 LATEs have (2) slight differences. There's a bit more sound deadening in the fairing and they changed to a quieter front sprocket. That's it. I bought a 2021 EARLY and have no issues with it.

NOTE: If you buy a 2020, remove the rear seat and look to see if there are zip ties or bolts just inboard of the front of the passenger grips. The big complaint with the earlier 2020s was that BuRP miscast the rear section. The only way they could get those bolt holes aligned was to use zip ties. There's a fix and most new 2020s have probably already been taken care of but something to watch out for.

HAGO!
    Is there an easy way to identify the build date for which Spyder RTs are 2021 EARLY and which are 2021 LATE?

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

If you can find a 20 that you are happy with...not enough changes on the 21's to make a difference.

The early 20's (RT) had the "zip tie" issue. By now, that should have been solved.

I recently got a new 20 F3L. The MCO said it was built in January of 2020, but the F3's had no zip tie issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I just took my 2020 which I purchased in late December back to get the zip tie update. They at 1st told me that it had already been fixed until I asked why is there still zip ties holding it down. It's fixed now.

They replace the left and right mounting plates with an updated one. I also got my name on the list for the updated front sprocket to take care of the belt noise.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The Sea to Sky is available for late 21 models. Not seen the details on the pulley or the insulation. The zip tie bit is on a trim piece. Does not affect anything. Best RT’s yet!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as I know, early 2020 RT with ZIP ties, passenger arm rests could not be installed. Be sure check with the dealer if you get the ZIP tie version and want arm passenger arm rests....

Spyder Garage

FYI, My 2020 RTL has a manufacture date of Feb 2020. It did not have the issue with the zip ties. I was aware of the issue while shopping, and had seen 4 other 2020's that did have the issue. In fact, I posted that info here:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...s-be-the-first
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I am in line for a 2021 and a half. That’s what they called it. Supposed to arrive in Feb. can’t wait!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    I am in line for a 2021 and a half. That’s what they called it. Supposed to arrive in Feb. can’t wait!
    That's considered a "late". Just an FYI in case someone else refers to it as such.

Spyder Garage

FYI I just bought a 2021 RTL. I was aware of the zip tie issue. According to the stickers under the seat it was built June 2020. No zip ties.

Spyder Garage

was the updated front sprocket covered under warranty?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warfels View Post
    was the updated front sprocket covered under warranty?
    The "old" front sprocket wouldn't be a warranty issue. It wasn't defective, only an annoyance. The issue wasn't noticable on the previous generation RTs (and the F3s) as much as the current generation RTs due to the the fairing redesign. Nothing to cover under warranty, only a redesigned sprocket to improve the bike.