Spyder Garage

Default Any suggestions on good Inverters?

Any suggestions on a good inverters

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Best inverter is no inverter but if you must, make sure that you get full sine wave inverter. $100 for laptop size inverter is good.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kchurch View Post
    What do you plan to use it for, and how much load do you expect to put on it?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

A question from those of us who are not mechanical.

What is an inverter? And, thanks in advance.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

can't go too far wrong with battery tenders inverters. Company is going to be there to stand behind it's products
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    A question from those of us who are not mechanical.

My understanding is it converts DC to AC .... ie. you can have AC currant if you add one to your car or trks. 12v DC system ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What size? TSW or PSW?
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Actually it's electrical, not mechanical! What it does, like Mike says, is take direct current from a battery or direct current generator and converts it into alternating current like is in a house. They come in all sizes and capacities from little ones just big enough to run a light bulb or laptop and that you plug into a cigarette lighter to huge ones with dozens of batteries and enough power to run the control systems of a factory (but not the motors, etc.).

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    What size? TSW or PSW?
    Did you mean to say "True Sine Wave or Modified Sine Wave". TSW is the same as pure sine wave, from what I find. The three versions are square, modified, and true, with true being the best but for many applications modified being quite adequate.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, that should have been MSW, Modified Sine Wave.

From my understanding most delicate electronics prefer the TSW, and some will work fine on MSW. But I am no expert, just know
    a little from hanging around the RV forum.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    From my understanding most delicate electronics prefer the TSW, and some will work fine on MSW.
    I don't where the best place is to find out what electronics really need or should have a TSW inverter other than forums like this, and maybe owners' manuals. My just purchased Traeger Scout grill came with a MSW inverter, and my CPAP machine runs fine on an MSW inverter, as do my phone and tablet chargers.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And we STILL don't know what Kchurch wants an inverter for.

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    can't go too far wrong with battery tenders inverters. Company is going to be there to stand behind it's products
    I don't think Battery Tender makes inverters.

An inverter does not charge a battery, which is what Battery Tender's products do.

To MOST people, an inverter is a small-ish probably portable device that will give you a reasonable facsimilie of household power from a 12-volt battery. Depending on the load applied, it can draw heavily from the battery, so you need a LOT of battery power or an engine running to keep the battery charged.

Until Kchurch comes back to detail the need for an inverter, it's all guessing.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I don't think Battery Tender makes inverters.
    Oops! You forgot that sometimes Google can be your friend!

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...wer-Inverter_2

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Good visit to a truck stop will find fair selection & recommendations as well as alternative options depending on what you are looking for, there maybe a 12VDC version; trucker tuff & portable Definitely some preferred stops when out on trips(pre covid)depending on social finesse also good source of road work, scenic routes, & restaurants
    ** however a good number may have had bad experiences with “bikers” sport or other* just fair warning.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Oops! You forgot that sometimes Google can be your friend!

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...wer-Inverter_2
    Can't forget what you never knew in the first place.

Did YOU forget that I used the very indecisive "I don't think ..." rather than "Battery Tender doesn't make ..."?

At the time I wrote that, I was unaware of that product. I am now more-educated. Thank you.

HER ride:

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Just curious; assuming it would be used it on your Can Am, what would you operate with it?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Just curious; assuming it would be used it on your Can Am, what would you operate with it?
    Kchurch has only had three posts to SL in the several months that he (she?) has been a member.

Two of them were posts that were started by asking a question, then never returning.

Until he (she?) comes back to provide details, we are all just guessing and wasting electrons.

HER ride:

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Kchurch has only had three posts to SL in the several months that he (she?) has been a member.

Two of them were posts that were started by asking a question, then never returning.

Until he (she?) comes back to provide details, we are all just guessing and wasting electrons.

I just sent an email asking him to come respond. There is an email link in the popup when you click on the member name.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Xmas lights for a parade of lights

Spyder Garage

Xmas lights on our spyder for a xmas parade

Spyder Garage

Xmas lights for a parade of lights

Thanks for answering & word of caution if not actually in “ Authorized“ parade or private property; like parking lots. Those extra color & flashing lights are illegal on public roads
    (Found out hard way ).

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

A small one like this, https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DE...120P/205431825, would probably do just fine as long as the lights are LED. If they are the old fashioned incandescent bulbs then a higher power one would be better.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Amazon and others sell battery powered Christmas lights. We have two sets on our golf cart. One uses three D cells the other AA cells. Being LED the run a long time on the batteries. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An inverter will use about 10 times the DC power as the AC output requirement. I would by pass that option and go the route I noted above, unless you play on carrying a fully changed much larger car type battery in the Frunk to power the inverted. Also be careful on how you mount the lights, the GC's tupperware has marks from the lights rubbing on it. Chris
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.