Spyder Garage

Default Coolant Hoses Not Available

I have a crack in the coolant tank so I go online and find one from a Can-Am parts house I have used in the past. They have the tank but I noticed all the formed coolant hoses for the bike are not available. So I checked another Can-Am parts house and they also list them as not available. Does anyone know what the reason might be?

I received a reply about the tank, turns out there is a nationwide backorder and it won't be available until the end of January. I guess I'll pull it out and see about fixing it with JB weld & look for an alternative until it is available. Thanks for all the good information needed to keep #452 on the road.

Spyder Garage

I can't speak to why BRP is making basic parts unavailable.
    Unwilling to participate in keeping older models on the road? Maybe... They do seem to focus on new stock.

Lots of aftermarket coolant tanks available that can be fit for the Spyder quite easily.
    Also have a few different options on the radiator hoses. Take them to a part store that does hoses and they will be able to give you replacements on the spot if not order quickly. You can also go with silicone hoses if you would like to "upgrade"
    The idea with those is that they are better, faster, stronger... etc compared to the rubber ones.

My Spyder rebuild will get an aftermarket tank most likely along with a set of silicone hoses.
    These pictures (and link) are not recommendations for a particular product but just a quick search for an example.

Good luck with your project!
    Capture.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    I have a crack in the coolant tank so I go online and find one from a Can-Am parts house I have used in the past. They have the tank but I noticed all the formed coolant hoses for the bike are not available. So I checked another Can-Am parts house and they also list them as not available. Does anyone know what the reason might be?
    I bought SS Radiator flex hose the same diameter. .... you do have to cut it to length ..... you can make very tight bends with this stuff and it radiates heat 3 X's better than rubber....... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I bought SS Radiator flex hose the same diameter. .... you do have to cut it to length ..... you can make very tight bends with this stuff and it radiates heat 3 X's better than rubber....... good luck .... Mike
    You learn something every day
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Sounds a little like the hydraulic hoses on my front loader. There are 15 or 20 hoses on the machine of all different lengths. I can get the OEM hoses from New Holland, but they take 2 weeks to get here and cost 3 times more than the NAPA hoses. I can just take the leaking hose off the front loader, take it 10 miles to the nearest NAPA Auto Parts store, and they will make me a new one the exact length while I wait, that costs about a third what the OEM hoses sell for, if they were even available here. The ones they make have the high quality hydraulic hose and swedged on fittings. They are the same quality as the OEM hoses and last just as long.

Same goes for heater hoses, and many other standard parts that are interchangeable between vehicles. Just get the correct diameter and ask for the best quality. Most of the auto parts stores have long rolls of hose they can cut to length for you.

Many other things, such as tow chains, trucker tie down chains, cable, wiring, etc., come on long rolls and are custom cut for you by hardware stores. If it is an OEM wiring harness, yeah, probably better off with OEM, but just to replace a piece of the harness with a few wires in it, easier, faster, and cheaper to make your own.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Default hoses

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Sounds a little like the hydraulic hoses on my front loader. There are 15 or 20 hoses on the machine of all different lengths. I can get the OEM hoses from New Holland, but they take 2 weeks to get here and cost 3 times more than the NAPA hoses. I can just take the leaking hose off the front loader, take it 10 miles to the nearest NAPA Auto Parts store, and they will make me a new one the exact length while I wait, that costs about a third what the OEM hoses sell for, if they were even available here. The ones they make have the high quality hydraulic hose and swedged on fittings. They are the same quality as the OEM hoses and last just as long.

Same goes for heater hoses, and many other standard parts that are interchangeable between vehicles. Just get the correct diameter and ask for the best quality. Most of the auto parts stores have long rolls of hose they can cut to length for you.

Many other things, such as tow chains, trucker tie down chains, cable, wiring, etc., come on long rolls and are custom cut for you by hardware stores. If it is an OEM wiring harness, yeah, probably better off with OEM, but just to replace a piece of the harness with a few wires in it, easier, faster, and cheaper to make your own.
    Yes this works , however to the best of my knowledge, they will collapse or kink quite easily if you try to bend them ..... I know pre-formed hoses of this type are available for 98% of OEM hoses ( maybe not a Ferrari or McClaren ) ...... the SS flex hose has no fitment issues, they could be tied in a med. size knot ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike, I have been messing around with cars and bikes all my life and have never given one thought to SS Radiator hoses. Thanks for the tip.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Mike, I have been messing around with cars and bikes all my life and have never given one thought to SS Radiator hoses. Thanks for the tip.
    Make sure they arn't the type that is a rubber hose with a mesh SS cover .... they work exactly the same as the non-covered type .... They sell the SS FLEX type at Summit racing.com .... but about 1/2 price on E-bay ...... different lengths etc. ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

While researching the SS hoses I also saw the Dayco makes corrugated, better said spiral rubber hoses that may fit as well.

I am a member of a BMW forum where there is an extensive spread sheet for parts for BMW R1100RT's that members contribute to. I think it would be important to setup a spreadsheet of replacement parts that can be used on our Spyders. Especially for those older ones on the road. Spyders I mean.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    While researching the SS hoses I also saw the Dayco makes corrugated, better said spiral rubber hoses that may fit as well.

I am a member of a BMW forum where there is an extensive spread sheet for parts for BMW R1100RT's that members contribute to. I think it would be important to setup a spreadsheet of replacement parts that can be used on our Spyders. Especially for those older ones on the road. Spyders I mean.
    I maybe should have used the word " corrugated " instead of " Flex " .... but they mean the same .... I have seen the hoses you described, they would not be my choice, because they would ALWAYS be " in tension " after being put on ..... the SS " corrugated " ones stay bent ( except tight " U " ) bends, but even this isn't really " in tension ". ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Good information! Thanks

I didn't know about this Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-21-2020 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts

Spyder Garage

GATES makes good Spigots of various sizes and bends. The catalog in English did not find (I do not own it) in Russian is very convenient, I think in English there is the same
    We are Russians, God be with us!

Spyder Garage

Permatex makes a coolant bottle repair kit. Remove Frunk, remove bottle, repair bottle, install. Unless the hoses are bad, recycle them.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system